Royal Caribbean vs Carnival

AngieC

I posted my thoughts about the difference between the two lines on the first page and one of the things that I mentioned was that most on Carnival choose it for price/value. This is a thread going on right now on the Carnival board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=294510

Nothing wrong with a person wanting the best price or most bang for ones buck but I goes with what I stated on my post.

As far as prices go, I have researched all cruiselines going out of Galveston, and for some reason RCI has always beat out Carnival down here. I know that goes against the stereotype, but this is why we have only cruised RCI. Anyone know why this is here???

As far as prices go, I have researched all cruiselines going out of Galveston, and for some reason RCI has always beat out Carnival down here. I know that goes against the stereotype, but this is why we have only cruised RCI. Anyone know why this is here???

Most of the time you always hear that RCI is more expensive than Carnival. I think that when you compare the Voyager class ships to Carnivals Conquest class they are as the Conquest class cannot touch the Voyager class in amenities. As far as the rest of the ships, it can go either way but many people always think that they are getting the best deal on Carnival when that is not always the case.

..Spelling has never been my forte. I would actually like to be BOTH well-healed AND well-heeled...

..then again my ex-wives (yes plural)..have called me a "heel" many-times...

so they must be on to something..

I have noticed too that the Rhapsody is probably the best price for a 7 day cruise in the RCI fleet. I have had the pleasure of the Rhapsody, and considering what a nice ship she is, and friendly staff and very friendly mostly Texan passengers there are, it's a terrific value.

Mitch

As we are a huge fan of the Voyager class ships, what class would be comparable in CCL's fleet? I know not all of the amenities will be the same but if I'm going to make a fair comparison, then at least I need to be comparing apples to apples.

Carnival ships do not have the ice skating rink or rock climbing wall. There may be other amenities that Carnival doesn't have as well. Those were the 2 that stick out. The Carnival Spirit Class is very nice, service was excellent, so was the food and the night life is really great! We have been on 2 Spirit class ships and loved them.

As we are a huge fan of the Voyager class ships, what class would be comparable in CCL's fleet? I know not all of the amenities will be the same but if I'm going to make a fair comparison, then at least I need to be comparing apples to apples.

You would compare the Voyager class with the Conquest class. The Radiance class would compare with the Spirit class.

I've cruised quite a bit..once with RCI and many times with Carnival. I find that the "lower class" folks or unruly people tend to cruise on the shorter 3-4 day cruises. The longer the cruise...the older the crowd too.

Carnival certainly has some nice things going on over other cruiselines such as RCI, Princess and Celebrity. Number 1 has to be their children's programs. They are better than any other cruiseline I've ever experienced! Also...for some reason, their food in the dining room is ALWAYS excellent. Our last Carnival cruise was on one of their newer ships...and it was far less gawdy - and we had an amazing time.

I tend to favor Princess I guess - but, my cruise on the Explorer next month may change that.

..taking one cruise of one, and one cruise of another is not enough information to make a universal blanket statement that one is BAD, the other

is GOOD.

Different ships in the same fleet differ..older to younger ships..different crews...even the time of year..just like the best of us have a "bad day"..

even the best ships have a "bad week" compared to others.

Cruisingators post was an intelligent expression based on multiple experiences with both.....the one before....well...

Mitch

Never said one cruise line was good or bad, I know what I like, my DH knows what he likes. We are not "needy" people and we go with the flow while on vacation, and I expressed my opinion as to what I had found so far. Both lines have positives as well as negatives and it really depends on what the cruiser values most in their experience.

I never said we were people who cruised multiple times every year, therefore "experienced" from your point of view, but it is my opinion from the experiences I have had thus far. I do not think that this makes my opinion less valuable.

Most people will experience the same event and come through it with very different reactions and opinions. Yes, people do have bad days that is why an experience on the same ship could be different with a different crew, different weather, and different ports.

I hope everyone can enjoy their cruise, no matter what cruise line they choose. Vacation is what you make it.

I have been on the Carnival Spirit and the Radiance Of The Seas. Both very beautiful ships. To me they are very much a like. Although I will be on the Jewel Of The Seas in two weeks so I guerss I would give the RCL Radiance class a very slight edge.

wcal...how will the Spirit compare to the Mariner? With the exceptions of the rock climing wall, ice skating, etc. We absolutely loved the Spirit (and Pride which is identical) cruises we took. I will agree with the above poster that the dynamics of the passengers on the Spirit (7-8 day) compared to the Fantasy (3-4 day) cruises. The 3-4 day cruises were one non-stop party, whereas the Spirit and Pride were a lot of couples who did like to party at night in the disco, but in general, much more settled down.

wcal...how will the Spirit compare to the Mariner? With the exceptions of the rock climing wall, ice skating, etc. We absolutely loved the Spirit (and Pride which is identical) cruises we took. I will agree with the above poster that the dynamics of the passengers on the Spirit (7-8 day) compared to the Fantasy (3-4 day) cruises. The 3-4 day cruises were one non-stop party, whereas the Spirit and Pride were a lot of couples who did like to party at night in the disco, but in general, much more settled down.

We were bowled over by the Spirit - just a wonderful ship! And, I must confess the fact that we had our first (and only) balcony really added to it!

I forgot to mention, there are a couple of things that RCI is lacking sorely - that Carnival (or other lines) 1) a self-serv laundry. 2) nightly karaoke (they have it just a few times...Carnival has it every night. 3) An adult talent show (I understand RCI now has some kind of karaoke American Idol...which leaves out non-singing talent)...24 hr pizza

We were bowled over by the Spirit - just a wonderful ship! And, I must confess the fact that we had our first (and only) balcony really added to it!

I forgot to mention, there are a couple of things that RCI is lacking sorely - that Carnival (or other lines) 1) a self-serv laundry. 2) nightly karaoke (they have it just a few times...Carnival has it every night. 3) An adult talent show (I understand RCI now has some kind of karaoke American Idol...which leaves out non-singing talent)...24 hr pizza

Depends on what ones needs are. I personally would rather send my clothes out to be washed and pressed than spend time washing clothes on vacation. You can get pizza 24/7 by ordering through the room service menu. We had Karaoke at least four nights on the Navigator in December along with Quest which is the best thing going at sea for side splitting laughs. As far as Carnival having it every night. Been on Carnival 16 times and have never seen Karaoke every night and most nights it was held before dinner for one hour. If you sig line is correct, it has been several years since you were on RCI and the Viking Serenade was an old rebuilt ferry. Their new ships blow anything Carnival has out of the water including the Spirit class ships.

I have always seen passenger talent shows on RCI 7 night cruises.

I personally have no interest in spending my vacation time in a laundry room; I pack enough clothes to last for the duration.

I do not like Karaoke but have seen it most nights on RCI.

And I do believe that RCI has pizza 24 hrs via room service.

altcple2.....The Spirit will not compare well to Mariner. The Spirit and Radiance are similar in size. No rock climbing wall on the Spirit but other than that I thought very comparable to Radaince. I was never on a Navigator size ship so cannot compare to Mariner at all. The Radaince class size is big enough for me and don't care to go any larger.

I have always seen passenger talent shows on RCI 7 night cruises.

I personally have no interest in spending my vacation time in a laundry room; I pack enough clothes to last for the duration.

I do not like Karaoke but have seen it most nights on RCI.

And I do believe that RCI has pizza 24 hrs via room service.

I guess I shouldn't generalize...but, I have been scouring these message boards quite a bit for the last few weeks, and looking at posted Compasses for the Explorer (which is our next cruise)...and that is where I got the information regarding karaoke and the talent show.

I realize that not everyone has in interest in a laundry room - but, it's nice when it's available. Very often when unpacking - the clothes come out pretty rumpled up, and I like things pressed. I know others are the same way. Also, directly after the cruise, we are going on to spend a week at Disney - it would have been nice to have the option of doing a load or two. Now, we'll have to pack for a full 2 weeks.

Hey...I'm sure as heck not bashing RCI! I'm just saying that EVERY cruiseline (even Carnival) has little perks...and even the best of ships are lacking in some area. And...it's all relative - it's a matter of taste. One of the "perks" on Celebrity for example is at the the buffets. They have staff that carries insists on carrying your tray to the table for you. Some people find that is a GREAT perk...I find it annoying.

It's really fun to compare the two lines. RCCL is great.......Carnival sucks.......Carnival is the best...........RCCL is lacking........etc.

Here's the real scoop. Carnival makes more money than all of the other cruise lines. At age 62, I'm not excited about cruising on Carnival...but I might have money invested. And, if the right circumstances came about, I just might cruise on Carnival. My wife loved the older ships, that she sailed on in the '90's. Some of those are not around any more.

Carnival looks at what it takes to give their clients a "wonderful time" and look at the number of their ships that you can't find a cabin to book if you are too late.

You bet, cruising is a very personal choice. I stay with the people that treat me well. RCCL takes very good care of me, so I have a loyalty to them. I guess that is the name of the game. How to keep passengers coming back. Carnival are pros at that. RCCL needs to keep close watch on what keeps Carnival passengers happy. There are a ton of them out there!!

Crazy as it sounds, I have never been on the Carnival section of CC. I bet if I did, I would find as many people that are pro Carnival, as are there are here for RCCL.

Bottom line...........both companies are good, and each is reaching for a different crowd!

Rick

"I didn't notice much of a difference between the two. I think Carnival has some boats that will be better than some RCI boats, and visa versa. RCI definately treats return guests better. "

Josh..they're SHIPS!!! (sorry..pet peeve).

To Love2vacation ....sorry; sounds like my post offended you a little.

As I read it I can understand why and I apologize.

Carnival Pizza tastes like bad frozen? It's been a couple of years since I've

done CCL..maybe what was once their forte has changed? All I know is

RCI's which is my most recent experience, doesn't compare with my past

CCL Pizza experience. Then again I don't think folks decide on a cruise

line based on the pizza quality.

I also would rather send out my clothes to be done, then stand around a

laundry room BUT..if I was taking two or three kids, this could get very costly.

The laundry room is a nice option that Carnival offers (and they'll still launder and press it for you if one prefers)..that RCI doesn't. Might make a difference

to a large family.

Mitch

We have been on Rccl 6 times and Carnival twice. We will never go on carnival again. Both times the service has been poor to mediocre at best and the servers around the pool either attack you or you can't find them at all. Carnival just always seems to cheap out IMHO. I guess that is why they are cheaper. The food taste and the performers seem to be about even. The last carnival cruise we were on was definately not the fun ship the kareoke bar closed at midnight and the disco never had anybody in it. The piano bar did have people in it one night but it was so full of smoke when you open the door it just billowed out.

I have been told by more than 1 TA that RCCL is a step up from carnival and they should know more than anyone.

Hope this helps

Flips

we are loyal RCCL cruisers and just retured from our first carnival cruise and trust us dont do it it was the worst cruise experirnce that we could have imagined, we had the wrap around balcony and big suite and it just does not make up for the difference in service and activities you recieve from RCCL. The food is very good on carnival though but still rccl treats you very good compared yo the rude carnival cruise line.

Archived