Panama Canal Shore Excursions

hjrell

Is it worth the extra money to pay for a shore excursion at the Panama Canal when you are already on the ship that will be going through the canal? If we decide to just stay on the ship, can we get off the ship once it has docked and if so, is there anything to do right at the dock?:confused:

You will dock in early afternoon at Christobol Pier, probably. There is a very large indoor shopping area, local vendor area there, and usually a type of 'show", put on by the local young people. It is worth watching.

You will be told NOT to venture out of this area, and I woud abide by that request.

I can't answer the question about booking an excursion off the ship as I didn't. You will pass through the Gutum Locks very early in the morning (we went into the locks just as the sun was coming up. I got some great photos of the sun raising over the lighthouse on the left side of the ship). You will sit out in Gutum Lake until after 1200 hours (noon) before you can return through the locks. It's west bound from 0001 to 1200, (one minute after mid-night until noon) east bound from 1201 until 2400, (one minute after noon until midnight).

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you so much for the info! Our plans right now are to stay on the ship unless someone has a suggestion as to why it would be better to take one of the shore excursions. I guess our thinking is, we already paid to be on the Summit to go through the canal so why should we pay more to take a different boat through the same canal???

not sure of the itinerary of the summit. if it is like the galaxy, she will enter the canal via gatun locks and anchor. you will not get to see or transit the remainder of the canal, i.e gaillard cut, pedro miguel or the miraflores locks. i have been through the canal during my miliatry service in both directions on several occasions. so to me it was no biggy, however, my dw and the remainder of our party have never transitted the canal. so we booked the excursion "the canal by ferry." yes it is a bit costly, but very much worth it.

The Summit is doing the full canal. Stay on the ship unless you want to see Panama. If you don't do an excursion, you won't get to see much more than the canal. I don't know if you are going east to west or the other way. But if you are ending up in the Caribbean, you won't want to leave the cruise terminal. Not safe.

Thank you so much for the info! Our plans right now are to stay on the ship unless someone has a suggestion as to why it would be better to take one of the shore excursions. I guess our thinking is, we already paid to be on the Summit to go through the canal so why should we pay more to take a different boat through the same canal???

What date are you sailing on Summit? We might be on the same cruise.

Hi,

Hjrell, I haven't looked at your actual itinerary offerings, but there are some excellent shore excursions in Panama.

An especially interesting excursion is one to the museums and interpretive center detailing the construction and operation of the Canal. This is generally best done when on a transit that stops in Fuerte Amador on the south, rather than in Cristobal on the north.

If this is your first time through the Canal, my suggestion would be to remain aboard ship. Spend your day being very mobile, moving about the ship to get the best view of every facet of the Canal. Doing that, you'll be ready to relax later and not go ashore. ;)

There are excellent resources (books and video) to learn all you can about this fantastic engineering fete ahead of time, and you'll appreciate what you're seeing all the more.

Have a GREAT cruise!!

CM

Thanks to everyone for the input! I really appreciate you taking the time to help us make the trip a good one. At this point in time, I think we WILL be staying on the ship. Just kind of wanted some input as to whether that was a good decision or not!:)

Darn we're a year early of your cruise. :( I will be posting a review when we return so keep an eye out. Hopefully I can give you some good suggestions :D

I know - our cruise isn't till 2007 but I am SO excited I can hardly wait...trying to do as much research as possible between now and then to make the most of the cruise. I know we will enjoy it no matter what, but like to avoid some mistakes if possible!

Will DEFINITELY keep an eye out for your reviews/suggestions. Would like to know what shore excursions you took and what you thought of them and anything that you would do differently.

Thanks!!:D

Archived