Confused about what to do...

SuzieQ521

Hello:

I cannot (understandably) get a hold of anyone at Costco (who we booked our June 7th Alaska cruise with) or obviously Holland America. Trip already paid in full for 13 family members.

This was supposed to a big first time Family trip, which was to include my 95 year old grandfather, parents, mother in-law, my toddler son and other family members. Although my grandfather is in good health, clearly there is concern and we will not want to take this trip without him as the whole point was to do it as a family.

We are beyond the May 31st current cancellation window that Holland currently has for future cruise credit; HOWEVER, even if this extends to our June 7th cruise eventually, FCC won't likely work for my grandfather and we would need a refund.

It appears that we are within the 90-64 day window where we would be out our $750.00 deposit amount. HOWEVER, I am trying to see if it would still be possible to purchase Holland's travel insurance and if the insurance even would cover Corona Virus.

If it is TOO LATE for Travel Insurance, then my inclination would be to wait until April 3 (the 64 day mark where we would "just" be out the deposit) and if nothing has changed in terms of Holland allowing refunds instead of cruise credit, then just cancel at that point.

I guess no one knows at this point whether Holland will allow refunds instead of cruise credit (at least for the most vulnerable like the elderly) but I just don't know how to go about it.

Sorry for the rambling...thanks for any input.

EDIT: Is it true that if we cancel, less our deposit amount, then that deposit would be given to us as future cruise credit?

Edited by SuzieQ521

This updated HAL Q+A to their TA community is helpful.  The protection HAL offers is cancel for any reason -- you would be out the premium costs, but you would get your money back, subject to the 10/20% 'holdback' which would be returned to your as FCC.  You can purchase at any time prior to when cancellation fees would apply on your itinerary.  You should be able to see that on your original booking detail.  Scott. 

image.png.fb4c292b086ddd9ad1363e280742eb72.png

source: https://media.hollandamerica.com/TravelAgent/Partnerships/2020/030220_Partnerships_HET2014AS/temporary-booking-policies-COVID-19-final.pdf?camp=CME:20200302_HET2014AS&rmid=20200302_HET2014AS&rrid=534771782

Thanks all. I got through to Costco. We in the first cancellation fee phase (90-64 days, less the deposit) so unfortunately too late for Travel Insurance.

And they are only allowing cruise credit for cancellation fees for March and April bookings (we booked in January) which does not seem fair but I am hoping they may change that if we decide to cancel within the next couple weeks.