No checks Dubai airport

oceanviewer21

When the 14th March Ovation Cruise was cancelled partly because of Dubai not allowing cruise ships, we decided to have a small break in Dubai anyway (our nearest guaranteed sunshine after a very wet year in the UK). We arrived yesterday. The usual long lines for passport control zigzagging back and forth. We were next to the same people and families with young children from all over the world for more than 20 minutes. There were NO health checks of any kind, NO thermal imaging either. And to add insult to injury I can see from the beach FIVE cruise liners in the docks.

Edited by oceanviewer21
Correcting autocorrect

37 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

Glad to hear you had some advanced warning of the cancellation before setting off. Hope you have as pleasant a stay in Dubai as possible and return in good health!

Thank you. Here’s a snap oh Dubai port today. I wonder what these liners are doing there. Hope to meet you all one day.

Bob

A73A22A8-0F9C-47C8-83CD-B06B6327D326.jpeg

Edited by oceanviewer21
Forgot image!!

1 minute ago, oceanviewer21 said:

Thank you. Here’s a snap oh Dubai port today. I wonder what these liners are doing there. Hope to meet you all one day.

Bob

Are they coming and going or sitting docked?

Its hypothetically possible that some of the lines that have cancelled their winter Asia itineraries and didn't reposition are holding in dock at the closed port until they start their Med season.  

On a broader note, how much capacity exists for inactive ships to go to dry dock?  If they have lengthy suspension periods, it isn't economically feasible to keep all the ships sailing aimlessly, even with a skeleton crew.  I know with the airlines, they will park planes in the desert in Arizona... but what about ships?

15 hours ago, jenidallas said:

Are they coming and going or sitting docked?

Its hypothetically possible that some of the lines that have cancelled their winter Asia itineraries and didn't reposition are holding in dock at the closed port until they start their Med season.  

On a broader note, how much capacity exists for inactive ships to go to dry dock?  If they have lengthy suspension periods, it isn't economically feasible to keep all the ships sailing aimlessly, even with a skeleton crew.  I know with the airlines, they will park planes in the desert in Arizona... but what about ships?

No lights on last night and still there this morning. I wonder if the Ovation will do the same thing in Colombo.Sad isn’t it.