Grand Suite/Monarch- worth the extra $$??

tennislvr

The grand suite on our upcoming cruise on the Monarch has just come available - room 1532 to be exact.

Is is really worth the extra $$$ (about $1,200.00 for the upgrade from our oceanview room for 2 people). I know the old story "how much time do you really spend in your room?" but its a special occasion and I figure I'd put it out to the cc board to get your opinion. I have the room on hold until Wed. night at 8:00 p.m.

Thanks for the replies!

On The Monarch there is no conciege lounge which is a perk equal to the extra square footage you will get. About the only bonus will be you will get 2 credits instead of 1 by being in a suite on the cruise. I would save the $'s for another cruise or go with a smaller suite.

Kevin

The grand suite on our upcoming cruise on the Monarch has just come available - room 1532 to be exact.

Is is really worth the extra $$$ (about $1,200.00 for the upgrade from our oceanview room for 2 people). I know the old story "how much time do you really spend in your room?" but its a special occasion and I figure I'd put it out to the cc board to get your opinion. I have the room on hold until Wed. night at 8:00 p.m.

Thanks for the replies!

The GS on Monarch doesn't offer much. Robes, slippers, extra room, two cruise credits and a balcony, but, IMO, if you can afford it and it is, as you say "a special occassion," then why not endulge yourself in life and spend the extra money. If you think as Tim McGraw sings about in his song "live like you were dying," then the answer to your question is a done deal come Wednesday at 8:00 PM.

- To enjoy the flavors of life, take HUGE big bites out of it....

Normally I always book the largest suite I can afford, but that's not for everyone.

Maybe to mark the special occassion you might want to save the money on the suite and book some sort of extra-special excursions. Maybe you can find your own private tour of a place that interests you. Hey, That sounds special. And you'd probably still have $$ to spare. :cool:

Thanks for all of your input...I thought about maybe just getting a js, but the entire ship is sold out. It was a fluke that Grand Suite room 1532 became available. Which also makes me wonder, is there something about room 1532 that I should know? I called RCI and they said it has no obstructions and its on Deck 10, so the view should be good.

I would save the money for the excursions, but we live in So. Calif. and have been to all the ports many times. The only place we're going to get off the ship is in San Diego where our son is attending college (how convenient, eh?) and have lunch with him. This cruise is basically to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary on Valentine's Day, and we can afford the upgrade, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion since we are first timers on RCI. And my hubby is a tall guy and doesn't like cramped spaces, so that's another concern.

Again, thanks for all your input - I didn't know about the extra points, etc. You guys are great when it comes to advice!

Thanks for all of your input...I thought about maybe just getting a js, but the entire ship is sold out. It was a fluke that Grand Suite room 1532 became available. Which also makes me wonder, is there something about room 1532 that I should know? I called RCI and they said it has no obstructions and its on Deck 10, so the view should be good.

I would save the money for the excursions, but we live in So. Calif. and have been to all the ports many times. The only place we're going to get off the ship is in San Diego where our son is attending college (how convenient, eh?) and have lunch with him. This cruise is basically to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary on Valentine's Day, and we can afford the upgrade, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion since we are first timers on RCI. And my hubby is a tall guy and doesn't like cramped spaces, so that's another concern.

Again, thanks for all your input - I didn't know about the extra points, etc. You guys are great when it comes to advice!

Tennislvr, I have sailed Monarch a few times and will be returning to her soon. Each time Iv'e traveled on her, I have stayed and will continue to stay in GS 1032. Twice, I had the chance to visit in 1532. I can assure you, other than being on the port side of the ship and having a life boat directly under the balcony, the room is FANTASTIC! There are NO VIEW OBSTRUCTIONS looking out from the balcony.

Also, it's not uncommon for rooms to pop up from time to time. Plans change and so do the minds of the folks who make them. Take advantage of situation. Get the room. Sit on your balcony and have a high ball. While doing that, enjoy the ocean view, breeze and salt air smells. Most important, go and enjoy each others company. After 25 years, don't you think you guys deserve it?

The GS on the Monarch is a great cabin. It is your 25th so go for it. I have stayed in a GS the last couple of times on the Monarch and this time we are splurging for the RS. I know it is only a 4 night cruise, but what the heck. Live and enjoy.

When I first started cruising, I booked a small cabin and spent very little time in the cabin.

As I have grown older and have more income, I have began to get larger cabins and then have moved to suites. The nicer the room the more time I spend in the cabin.

In my opinion, the nicer the room (suite) the more time you will spend in that cabin.

My wife and I booked the Penthouse suite on Celebrities Century several years ago. We very rarely left the suite, during sea days. It was great.

I say, book what you can afford and have a great time.

A word of caution, its easy to go up in cabin class but very, very hard to go down.

When I first started cruising, I booked a small cabin and spent very little time in the cabin.

As I have grown older and have more income, I have began to get larger cabins and then have moved to suites. The nicer the room the more time I spend in the cabin.

In my opinion, the nicer the room (suite) the more time you will spend in that cabin.

My wife and I booked the Penthouse suite on Celebrities Century several years ago. We very rarely left the suite, during sea days. It was great.

I say, book what you can afford and have a great time.

A word of caution, its easy to go up in cabin class but very, very hard to go down.

I agree with all of the above! Our first cruise was an oceanview on Empress of the Seas (then the Nordic Empress). We loved it, but on our next cruise booked a balcony, and that was that. Then an aft JS. Although we've had a GS and weren't impressed enough with the room to pay the difference over a JS. But if it's a choice between an OV & a GS, I would spring for it, ASSUMING that you can afford it, which it sounds like you can.

Well, I did it. I just decided 'life is too short" and called RCI and upgraded to the Grand Suite.

Thanks for all your input and I appreciate those of you who said "save the money for a future cruise." I just realized that we work so hard at our own business that its rare we can get away. Who knows when our next vacation will be!

And the best part is that I am surprizing my husband. He thinks its all sold out. And the strange part is that I received a card from my MIL today (with a very generous gift$$ for our anniversary) and he said "too bad its sold out - we could have used this for an upgrade to a suite."

So, thanks again...you guys are great. Oh, and by the way. There is now a room available on the 2/13 Monarch to Baja...since I upgraded that means our old OV room is available - its a compeltely sold out cruise so hurry!

Well, I did it. I just decided 'life is too short" and called RCI and upgraded to the Grand Suite.

Thanks for all your input and I appreciate those of you who said "save the money for a future cruise." I just realized that we work so hard at our own business that its rare we can get away. Who knows when our next vacation will be!

And the best part is that I am surprizing my husband. He thinks its all sold out. And the strange part is that I received a card from my MIL today (with a very generous gift$$ for our anniversary) and he said "too bad its sold out - we could have used this for an upgrade to a suite."

So, thanks again...you guys are great. Oh, and by the way. There is now a room available on the 2/13 Monarch to Baja...since I upgraded that means our old OV room is available - its a compeltely sold out cruise so hurry!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Good for you. Now, "get out there!"

Archived