Limited Time only:Camp Carnival Questions Answered Here

carnicrew

I am currently On Vacation from my position as a youth counselor for Camp Carnival. I figured I would offer my expertise and answer any of your questions. I have another thread going as well that answers many questions about the program, so before you ask you may want to check that out to see if it has already been answered (the thread is called camp carnival). i will be signing on to another ship this saturday, so after that there will be no more posts from me! So hurry up and ask!

Do the ships have different activities for ages 12-14 year olds? I will have two 12 year olds on the Liberty in March, and was wondering what and when the activities are. I also have late seating and noticed that the registration time is at 7:30pm. Is there another time to register and meet the counselors? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Do the ships have different activities for ages 12-14 year olds? I will have two 12 year olds on the Liberty in March, and was wondering what and when the activities are. I also have late seating and noticed that the registration time is at 7:30pm. Is there another time to register and meet the counselors? Thank you in advance for your answers.

The activities for 12-14 year olds are pretty much the same on all ships. There will be a schedule available on the first day that lists their activities for the whole cruise. But usually their activities run from around 10 am-12 or 1 am. The registration really doesnt take very long, so if you have a late seating that usually starts at 815..you can go to the registration, pick up a reg form and caper and fill it out on your own time and just hand it in when your children go to their first activity. You don't have to stay for the whole meeting.

Awesome thanks for your help, My only question are, Does the Camp Carnival youth Councelors work for and part of Carnival or are they hired from another agency?

Thanks.

Fred

We work for carnival, but there are several different hiring agencies in different countries that do all the hiring work. A representative from carnival's head office goes to the interviews to help make a final decision in who gets hired.

YAY another "smurf" :)

I did two contracts w. CC before moving on and doing two contracts as a dancer :)

Hey, who was the YD on the Triumph when you left?

Marchelle Van Zyl ws for most of my conract and was on vacation when I left but was returning there the next week.. jonathan jones was the assistant and got promoted to YD while covering for marchelles vacation so he's now YD on the Victory.

Are you still working for carnival?

No I am not. Was thinking about going back...once it's in your blood, it's in your blood. :)

Jonathan!!!! I LOVE him.

I worked w/ him on the VI a few years back. I'm pumped that he finally got promoted. He's one of a kind that one. (in a good way).

Where in NS are you?

My closest friend from ships was a fellow cc'er from NS. (fall river to be exact)

Have fun w. your new contract...the spirit apparently rocks.

I'm jealous.

No I am not. Was thinking about going back...once it's in your blood, it's in your blood. :)

Jonathan!!!! I LOVE him.

I worked w/ him on the VI a few years back. I'm pumped that he finally got promoted. He's one of a kind that one. (in a good way).

Where in NS are you?

My closest friend from ships was a fellow cc'er from NS. (fall river to be exact)

Have fun w. your new contract...the spirit apparently rocks.

I'm jealous.

Yeah I love Jonny, He's awesome H'es gonna try to get me on the Victory in June so I can go home (Halifax) I was on the TI last summer while it was coming here, it's so nice to cruise home. I was also with another cc girl from NS. There's only a few of us. Where are you from?

I'm from Sask :)

I loved the eastern summer run... the VI was a cool ship to be on as we moved around so much. Got to see a lot.

Did MJ come on the ship a lot to visit jon? I love that kid.

MJ? as in mark? If you mean mark, his "son" then yeah he came on a few times. He is a cool kid

yeah :)

Well it was nice to talk to you, but it's way past my bed time. Cool to meet another carnival person on here, I thought i was the only one bored enough to check out what guests have to say while im on my vacation!!Haha..It's interesting stuff though!

Carnicrew thanks for answering all the questions. I'm wondering if background checks are performed on the counselors that work in CC? I would think that it would be difficult to check out some of the European employees...:confused:

Carnicrew- thanks for yesterdays info, it pretty well answered all questions we had, we will be taking our third Carnival cruise on the Triumph on March 4, and it will be our first with our kids 5 & 8, I think they will have a great time. Good to hear from a fellow Maritimer, catch you later.

I know several of us on this board have wondered what options a newly turned 18 year old has - still in high school - that are traveling with 17 year old friends and relatives. Are they allowed in the teen rooms/disco?

Also, what type of degree do you have and what are the requirements to hold your job? Was it a difficult process to get in with Carnival? I know this is rude, but would you care to share your salary/benefits? I have a daughter that may be interested.

Thank you!:)

UPDATE: I'm sorry, but I just saw the other post and you may have answered my questions over there, however I have not read that thread yet.

Dear Carnicrew,

My dayghter carries an epipen due to severe alleries to peanuts. Can i leave it with a counselor or does she have to keep it? Also on the Disney Magic every kid who came to camp washed their hands with a counsellor. In your other post you did not mention this procedure so i assume it does not happen. Thanks for any help

Carnicrew thanks for answering all the questions. I'm wondering if background checks are performed on the counselors that work in CC? I would think that it would be difficult to check out some of the European employees...:confused:

yes back ground checks are done. There are hiring agencies in each country that do all the record checking before even meeting with a carnival representative to make a final decision. I know in Canada I had to give the a criminal background check as well as show them all of my certifications of training...

Also, what type of degree do you have and what are the requirements to hold your job? Was it a difficult process to get in with Carnival? I know this is rude, but would you care to share your salary/benefits? I have a daughter that may be interested.

I have a bachelor of applied arts:Child and Youth Studies. I was certified in CPR and first aid, as well as several other child care courses. Carnival requires that you either have an aducation based in child care or that you have extensive experience with children. Some people that work for camp, although they did not go to university or college for child care, have been nanny's/au pair's, have worked in daycares, etc...I was hired through a Canadian hiring agency, I had to fly myself to the interview as there were none way out here on the east coast! After being hired it took several months before I actually got a ship to go to. Sometimes you wait a while for that placement, some times it is quite a quick process. the starting salary is around 1000 a month US. I know that's not much, but then you realize we have no bills, no rent, no food to buy, etc. So it evens out and as Non- US citizens we don't pay taxes on that money!! So the pay is alright in the end.

Dear Carnicrew,

My dayghter carries an epipen due to severe alleries to peanuts. Can i leave it with a counselor or does she have to keep it? Also on the Disney Magic every kid who came to camp washed their hands with a counsellor. In your other post you did not mention this procedure so i assume it does not happen. Thanks for any help

We do not allow any medications in camp, even epipens (something I do not understand..and they are apparently going to change as I have been trained by carnival how to use one) what you have to do is give an epipen to the infirmary so that if we need to we caqn take her there and they can administer it. WE do regular hand washing for the kids, but usually not everytime they enter camp, although this would be a great thing to start doing!! You will also have to read the caper carefully and avoid any activities that may have food. we dont order anything that has nuts, and to our best knowledge is peanut free....but if the allergy is severe then you can never be too careful. You'll have to go over it with the counselors on the ship when you get there.

I have a bachelor of applied arts:Child and Youth Studies. I was certified in CPR and first aid, as well as several other child care courses. Carnival requires that you either have an aducation based in child care or that you have extensive experience with children. Some people that work for camp, although they did not go to university or college for child care, have been nanny's/au pair's, have worked in daycares, etc...I was hired through a Canadian hiring agency, I had to fly myself to the interview as there were none way out here on the east coast! After being hired it took several months before I actually got a ship to go to. Sometimes you wait a while for that placement, some times it is quite a quick process. the starting salary is around 1000 a month US. I know that's not much, but then you realize we have no bills, no rent, no food to buy, etc. So it evens out and as Non- US citizens we don't pay taxes on that money!! So the pay is alright in the end.

My daughter has a degree in Early Childhood Education. The pay is very good considering what she gets for childcare where she works. Plus, she could save most of it. What about medical benefits? Do you have to share living quarters? My DD would not be happy sharing her space. :D

My daughter has a degree in Early Childhood Education. The pay is very good considering what she gets for childcare where she works. Plus, she could save most of it. What about medical benefits? Do you have to share living quarters? My DD would not be happy sharing her space. :D

Carnival pays for all the medical stuff while you are employed, free doctors visits, prescriptions, etc. And you get carnival benefits as well, free, or discounted cruises for you and your family. But the living quarters are very small. You share a cabin and bathroom with one other person. On some ships the cabins are VERY small.:(

We are booked on a carnival cruise in November, one of the children in our party is an 8 year old with downs syndrome. Are their restrictions as far as camp carnival and letting him attend any of the activities?

Not at all, all children are welcome to try out the program. Depending on the mental age of the child though you may wish to try out the 2-5 age group. That group stays in the playroom and gets lots of toy time, they sing songs, learn dances, etc. If the child does not do well in unfamiliar settings or around other children you may be requested to stay with them while they come to play. But it all depends on the individual child. If the child does well there would be no problem in which ever age group you choose to put them in. If it is a very busy cruise you would have to speak to the director and the counselors to see what best suits your child's needs. Hope that helps!!

Archived