Digital Pictures

strawberrychris

Hi everyone. This is my first posting on this message board. I will be sailing on the Pride of America on 3/11. I have learned soooo much reading all the messages that is on this board.

I do have a question. At the internet cafe is it possible to insert a flash drive into the computer in order to download pictures off my digital camera, but not go on the internet?

Nope - They do not want passengers loading anything onto the computers. I believe the photo staff will burn a CD for $. If you do that make sure you check the CD before you delete you memory card.

Better yet just buy some addition storage for your camera. I just picked up an additional gig (2x512) for less then $50 with rebates.

Haha that reminds me.

17MP SLR in RAW eats memory like a Cummins eats diesel. :)

On our last sailing (Dawn 01/12) my pictures folder was 17GB. Bringing the lappie with a 400GB external firewire drive helps out a lot!

"Picture duty" does chew up time but the memories last forever. :)

Cheers,

Norman

Haha that reminds me.

17MP SLR in RAW eats memory like a Cummins eats diesel. :)

On our last sailing (Dawn 01/12) my pictures folder was 17GB. Bringing the lappie with a 400GB external firewire drive helps out a lot!

"Picture duty" does chew up time but the memories last forever. :)

Cheers,

Norman

You shoot everything in RAW? Bit of a waste of space, isn't it?

I was wondering the same thing about the computers on board, guess the laptop will be making a trip.

We have a box full of Sandisk Extreme III CF cards (4GB) so it's not a problem. No need to visit the fitness facilities when we return as carrying all this stuff is a workout on its own. :eek:

RAW allows proper editing and produces no distortion like JPEG. We'll shoot in mixed mode too producing both types for quick review on the laptop. :)

Yes it's a lot of work but the pictures are professional quality. Even though we've been at most of the places many times, sometimes that unique shot just can never be taken again.

I really messed up on this last cruise leaving my fluid head home. Funny how you don't really know how important something truly is until you don't have it. My shots suffered because of this. Until next time...

Cheers,

Norman

I was on the POA in mid January. The internet Cafe was charging $8 per minute of use and I never saw a single person in it. As far as I know, they did not allow you to use their computers for anything but the internet. They did have a photo shop on board that will transfer your pics to a CD...but I don't know the charge. Be sure to check the CD before deleting the pics off of your card tho. Before I left, I borrowed extra memory cards from friends/family so I had plenty of storage while over there. I shot about 200 pics at 8 megapixels. Have fun.

I was on the POA in mid January. The internet Cafe was charging $8 per minute of use and I never saw a single person in it. As far as I know, they did not allow you to use their computers for anything but the internet. They did have a photo shop on board that will transfer your pics to a CD...but I don't know the charge. Be sure to check the CD before deleting the pics off of your card tho. Before I left, I borrowed extra memory cards from friends/family so I had plenty of storage while over there. I shot about 200 pics at 8 megapixels. Have fun.

$8 per minute? That sounds like using a modem and making a call to a dial up gateway! :eek:

Most per minute fees are $0.75.

I should post NS4 and Kismet traces from all the places we've been to that have open or cheap 802.11b access. Not that many would understand the charts! :D

Cheers,

Norman

Archived