Walkie Talkies???

GoldenGopher

We're first time cruisers on the Grand Princess in April and traveling with our 16 yr old son and friend. We are debating the wisdom of walkie talkies to keep in contact with him on a ship this large. Do they work well on these ships? Are they more hassle then they are worth. Would appreciate the pros and cons. Thanks

We have used walkie talkies before. We also have friends who brought them last time and used them for the first 6 days of the 9 day cruise. Then their son got tired of carrying it around and his mom not answering when he paged her. Will it give you a piece of mind? Will it bother you if you cant find your child immediately and you arent certain of where exactly they are? Do you want to carry a walkie talkie around all the time? They are really fun when you eavesdrop on other's convos...and I mean that truthfully - it provided some entertainment. Talk to your son and see how he feels about it. Bottom line...they do work, it is just whether you want them or not. You can always bring them and not use them.

That WT's and two way radios are annoying. They are loud and annoying at the pool when I am trying to relax, annoing at dinner when a tablemate HAS to answer, and annoying in the theatre when a show is going on.

If you feel you have to be that safe on a cruise ship where no one can get off unless they are in port...please do not cruise.

The beeps, clicks and squelch IS annoying to all and most won't say anything. But I will. Also LOUD RADIOS are against most ships policies.

I am on a vacation, not in a business meeting. I appreciate NO cell phones or walkie talkies. We have survived thousands of years without them and done fine. If you don't trust your kids THAT much...leave them at home.

This was simply IMHO

Dave:eek:

Archived