telephone for emergencies?

tjsharktank

We are going on our first cruise 2/26. I'm of the mindset, "we're in the middle of the ocean - if something goes wrong at home there's nothing we can do about it!" But unfortunately, my partner is not!!! This seems like such a silly question to me but I'm asking to soothe her... is there a way for people back home to reach us while we are on the ship (Carnival Victory)? If not, what are the arrangements for calling out? Can we call out at any time or only when in port?

Thanks!

Depending on where you are sailing there are a variety of options.

All larger cruise ships have ship to shore telephone facilities including an emergency number that people can call and contact or leave a message for you. It is expensive but it will allow you to be contacted even when out at sea.

If you are cruising in the caribbean and have a cell phone you may be able to use your cell phone when you are in some ports (i.e.San Juan, US Virgin Islands (i.e. St Thomas), Key West, etc.).

As far as calling out it is much cheaper to wait until you in a port and then find a land line phone around the dock. The charges there will be much less than what the ship charges (around $7 or more a minute). Most phone companies can sell you phone cards that are good in foreign countries as well as in the US.

There is also the option to buy or rent a global satellite phone when can make and receive calls almost anywhere in the world. They will not be cheap but they were one of the few technologies that worked even when Katrina hit the Gulf Coast (most cell phones and land lines failed).

Tell your partner not to worry. If there is an emergency and you have left people the phone number of the ship and your cabin number they can get in contact with you..

Have a great next cruise.

Every ship has email so they can do that in an emergency. They can also call the ship from their homes, if necessary. Your documents should have the international phone numbers they need to call you on the ship. If you have a cell phone, and you have international service for that phone, they can call your cell when you're in a port. You can also call home from a port if you have the international cell phone.

This is from Carnival's website:

Friends and family may call guests onboard via Maritime Telecommunications Network (MTN) Shore-to-Ship telephone service. The rate is $9.50 per minute from the United States; additional long distance charges may apply from outside the United States.

The caller needs to have available the ship name and the guest's name. The charges will be applied to the caller's credit card: MasterCard - Visa - American Express - The Discover Card - Diner's Club. 1-877 CCLSHIP (1-877-225-7447) from the U.S. 1-732-335-3284 from Canada and outside the U.S.

Archived