Credit Card Verses Debt Card

cmevans

icon_confused.gifPast cruisers do the ships allow you to use your visa debt card for a visa for sign and sail card for your purchases or do you have to have a regular visa or cash

Thank You for any input icon_smile.gif

First Cruise Triumph 7/24/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;07;24;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Yes, you can use a visa debit, but beware... I am battling Carnival right now because they did a "daily authorization" for my purchases which they are letting expire, but it takes several days, then they went and did a full charge for the weekly amount before all of the other daily authorizations expired, so in essesce they have held double funds on my debit card and "overdrew" my account. I have to wait for the daily authorizations to expire before I will be back in a positive balance on my account, meanwhile, by bank doesn't know the difference between the real charge that will post and the ones that will expire, they only know that I am overdrawn, so they are charging me overdraft fees. I am fighting this one right now. AND ANGRY ABOUT IT icon_mad.gif

Just FYI........

See my past cruise pics here:

mohavemommy's Cruise Pics

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"THE WORLD'S BEST ISLANDS ARE ONES THAT FLOAT AND MOVE. THEY'RE CALLED CRUISE SHIPS."

next cruise ???? hhhmmmmm.....

For the above reason, I highly suggest using a credit card. icon_smile.gif

Atom.gif

Sensation.gif

Next Cruises! SENSATION 5/6/04 then MIRACLE 2/13/05!

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory Hounds I, Conquestadors

I use a Visa debit card. No problems encountered with last three cruises.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Yep, good point..I'll be using credit card, too.

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until VICTORY is ours

<MARQUEE>A day at sea is better than any day at work</MARQUEE>

Although I have both, I prefer to use my CC over my debit card...for lotsa reasons, not the least of which was mentioned above. Just my opinion......

Militant Breastfeeding & Homebirth Proponent-Sandra Carmichael

Mardi Gras 6/79

Mardi Gras 6/79

(back to back cruises)

Celebration 8/02

Splendour of the Seas 3/03

Jubilee 7/03

Conquest 1/04

Celebration 1/04

Elation 2/04

Elation *coming again* 1/05

Use your credit card. You can get into a problem with a debit card if you happen to make a large purchase. Lots of the debit cards have a daily limit. That large jewelery purchase could get declined!

Joe<---Conquest in Oct.

Conquest (Sleazy III)10/31/04 My 25th !

Credit Card vs. Debit Card - What Are The Differences

from

http://www.free-credit-reports-on.com/credit_card_vs_debit_card_-_what_are_the_differences_2004.html

Money Talks Debit vs. Credit

from

http://www.wsaw.com/news/features/3/432346.html

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

WE have used a CC and Debit card but for the last two just put cash on our account. 1 we don't like the bill when we get home from using our CC and 2 we figure if it is coming from our Debit card we are just better off using the cash. It works great for us

Fascination 99

Inspiration 01

Destiny 03

Destiny 05

UNTIL WE SAIL AGAIN.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2005;5;8;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

FYI...

I am currently moonlighting meaning my part time job in the evening to help pay for my cruise is at a bank in the Visa Debit Card security Department. We investigate fraud and put blocks on accounts that look suspicious. Here are a few pointers:

1. If traveling with a Visa or Master Card debit card(card connected to your checking account) as primary means of getting money while on your cruise I would advise you to always have an alternative form of payment. Too many times I have gotten calls from steamin mad card members that their debit card was blocked while on vacation and it ruined there whole vacation.

What happens is the security system computer and or human on these cards sees activity from foreign countries in high dollar amounts not typical on your account (Unless you go on vacation every other week) and they will place a block on it. Untill they confirm this "Suspicious Activity" (Hey man I was drinking lots of foo foo drinks that night)

ADVICE: Call your bank have them connect you to the atm debit card security department and inform them of your cruise. IT will keep most of these blocks from happening on your card.

2. Daily Limits .. Most Visa Debit Cards have a 3000 pos (point of sale) limit and a 500$$ a day atm limit. IF you need to make a larger purchase you can call your bank and they can authorize this for you. Now if in Mexico this call might be difficult so thus having another means of paying is good.

3. Fraud. Remember merchants in foreign countries arent always as reputable as they are here in the US. I have seen lots of fraud days, weeks , and even months after a card member has used their card in a foreign country. So just be careful where you use your card.

4. Yes cruise ships will authorize a certain amount daily as a pre auth to make sure you dont go over what you have in your account. Then they will go back later and change it to the correct amount. SOmetimes this takes several business days. Thus having an alternative form of payment is advisable again...

Most importantly Have a good time. I still havent decided how I want to pay on my trip for things and I leave on 5/14.

Happy Cruising....

INSPIRATION

5/16/04

Archived