Has anyone been in a cabin where the next door cabin was empty?

flashdog_1

We were on an old Epirotiki ship cruising the Greek Islands and Turkey about six months after the Achille Lauro incident and a week after the Chernyobl reactor exploded. The ship was only about half-full, and we were two of four Americans on board. It was lovely, though nobody was eating fresh fruit or veggies at that point given what wasn't known about the radiation plume spread, and I still shudder when thinking about eggs cooked in olive oil.

(The guide's theory: if you're concerned about radiation in the water, add a squeeze of lemon juice. We came to call it the germ theory of radiation.:rolleyes:)

Cheers,

Barb K.

Since we normally cruise in November, an off month, we probably have been next to empty cabins. How would one know whether the cabin was empty, or whether one simply had quiet neighbors?

That is what I was thinking. I know in Oct. we sailed a full ship but I never saw the neighbor on either side of me and never heard them either. We saw the couple across the hall from us a couple of times though.

I have been on a few cruises where I had absolutely no idea that I had neighbors or not. But most of the time if we were out on the balcony at port we would usually talk to our next door neighbors . I guess it could happen that there would be an empty cabin but the way the popularity of cruising is now days I highly doubt it.

marilyn

We were on the Century, next door to the Royal Suite (think that was what it was called). The people were supposed to join mid-cruise, but never showed. Good thing too... the video screen made a lot of noise when it was lowered/raised. The butler gave us a tour of the suite. Quite nice.

There was this one guy we used to see all around the ship, at wine tastings, name that tune, ect...

When we got home we had an e-mail from some friends who had taken pictures of us on the balcony right when we boarded. Turns out the guys was our neighbor the whole time and we never saw him going in and out the whole time, but there he was hanging out on the adjacent balcony when we were waving to our fiends on the waterfron in San Diego.

I have not had that experience and just wondered if it ever occurs?

WOW! Good effort - just when another thread appears asking about the 'wierdest CC message topic" anyone has ever seen. I'll nominate this for 'honorable mention" and also give vote for "M. Congeniality". :D

Happy Cruisin.

Yes, we were on a cruise a few years ago when there was a blizzard all across the Northeast U.S. and lots of flights were canceled. The ship waited 5 hours beyond departure time but finally had to leave 700 passengers behind because they just couldn't get to Miami. As it turned out the cabins on BOTH sides of ours were empty.

I have not had that experience and just wondered if it ever occurs?

Hi

All cruise ships sail with some cabins empty in case there is a problem and someone needs to be moved.

This has happened to me on 3 occassions on Splendour of the Seas and on Millennium and years ago whilst on P&O Canberra.

In all cases I have been relocated in a higher grade of cabin.

A friend of mine was on Zenith and she was travelling with her daughter and grandson. When the extra bed was down it was difficult to get past to the bathroom. She went to the Guest Relations and she was given a cabin on her own.

In all these cases it stated at Guest Relations that the ship was at full capacity.

I'm unsure if this empty reserve is a regulation but I think it may well be.

This is just my experience if it helps.

I would say no. If they can be sold, they will be, as long as the maximum passenger load is not exceeded.

If a large number of cabins are booked with 3 or more passengers, then the maximum passenger load may be reached before all cabins are sold. Then, they will not be sold.

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion only, from the information I have gleaned from these boards. If anyone has knowledge to the conrtary or additional information please post it to enlighten the rest of us.

Archived