Car rental in Maui or Kauai

dcbjm

We're going on POA in May :) and thought we would rent a car and just go our own way, How easy or difficult is it, show I make arrangements beofre I go on this cruise, I've never rented a car while on a cruise before. Thanks you in advance:D

DW and I cruised the Pride of Aloha last month and rented cars on each island. Shuttles pick you up at the pier, but you should have reservations. Most shuttles wouldn't let you on board without one. Several of the rental companies didn't have any cars available to the passengers hoping to get a deal on arrival.

We used Thrifty on all islands. They have a Blue Chip program which made it a breeze. You can join online and reserve your vehicle online in advance. If you are a Blue Chip member, you have a special line at the reservations desk and the paperwork is already filled out before you arrive. You show your drivers license, credit card and blue chip card, initial in 3 spots, sign your name and they give you the keys. We were usually out the door in less than 4 minutes.

Just returned from POA and rented from Thrifty and Budget in Kauai and maui respectively. Shuttle buses from all major car rental companies make constant trips to pick up passengers from terminal.... well marked spots to wait, you won't be the only one, in fact there are so many renters that one shuttle only allowed the drivers on and the rest have to wait for the driver to come back with car. in case you get ashore after they stop the shuttle run, call them with your cell phone and they'll be there in 5 minutes because that's how far away they are. Try to enroll in whatever program will get you fast service, such as Blue chip with Thrifty, Fastbreak with budget, etc. There are two lines, obviously with reservation and the Blue chip program( or equivalent) it's just a breeze. Pick up the driving map from car rental, they're free and abundant. One word of caution.... overnight parking near the pier is limited, although one can park 10 minutes away , i don't know how safe it is to walk back late at night. I paid $10 to park at car rental's lot and took their shuttle back to pier( beware their last run may be 9 or 10pm ) In Kauai, it's $10 to park at a small shopping mall that's about 5 minute walk from pier, again, it could be dark at that time.

I think renting a car is as smooth as anywhere on mainland, unless you run into traffic jam on your back to the ship which can be hairy if time is tight.

Archived