Casual vs Resort Casual???

Jdleong

I differ in opinion on the subject of jeans, and will be wearing them to the dining room one or two evenings. For the four-day coming up, the "dinner" attire will be:

First night: Either black slacks or black jeans, long sleeved black sand-washed silk shirt, ivory sport coat

Formal night: Tux with waist coat (NOT cumberbund)

Third night: Probably black slacks, shirt, tie, and sport coat

Fourth night: Dark indigo jeans, solid coloured button-down shirt, and tie (possibly with a vest... will depend upon my mood that evening)

Personally, I don't feel that is being "sloppy casual" but appropriate. I do wear a tie, shirt, and jeans for semi-formal events, or that with a sport coat.

Of course, I also will admit that my tux was fitted to be worn with cowboy boots, not dress shoes (of which I don't own a pair). But my boots will be polished brightly.

Furrycruiser

Sounds like you will look handsome! Definitely NOT sloppy!

They do specifically address shorts. Did you mean to say jeans??

We can debate whether or not Carnival means to allow or discourage jeans in the dining room during dinner all we want, but we all know we will see people wearing jeans anyway. We don't wear jeans on our cruises, but it doesn't bother me if others do. It won't ruin my dining experience and it won't make the food taste any different. ;)

Yep! Thanks for pointing that out. I did mean to say that it doesn't specifically include jeans.

On my last cruise 2 weeks ago there were plenty of jeans seen at dinner. I don't pack one pair. To me, the answer is simple. As long as Carnival lets passengers in the dining room with jeans on, people will wear them. Plain and simple.

I stopped by to get links for the members of my group sailing with me on the Pride in 10m days - I've got a lot of first time cruisers with me, and I know how helpful Cruise Critic can be in answering some questions. But I have to say, I won't be passing along this link.

I have a total of 12 Carnival cruises under my belt - the last one was in 2004. I tend not to cruise much with Carnival anymore, but for a group our size, it's the best choice. Suffice it to say, I have yet to take a Carnival cruise (either on the Caribbean or on the Pacific) where people did NOT wear jeans in the formal dining room on casual evenings.

You and I both know only a small percentage of people who cruise actually read Cruise Critic (though it's growing, I am told). I can't with good conscience tell the 67 members of my Volleyball Cruise Group to not pack any jeans - it's okay to wear them on casual nights and the dining room staff will tell you so. Granted, it wasn't like that 10 years ago. But on all of my cruises since 2000 with Carnival (my first was in 1994), nice jeans have always been a fixture in the dining room, and I don't anticipate our cruise on the Pride to be any different.

With that said, there are a lot of people who will not wear jeans, and I totally can understand why they wouldn't want to in the Caribbean. But the fact is we will have three cool days at sea on the Pacific - perfect jeans weather. You see a lot of people on Alaska cruises also wearing jeans.

From what I can tell, more guys than ladies wear jeans, but that's because we tend to like to wear more "creative" outfits. If you have a nice pair of jeans, wear them. You may want to think twice about doing so on Celebrity or on Holland America, but trust me when I say, it's not (thankfully) an issue with Carnival.

Suzi

I don't think we are talking about formal night, are we? The majority of people from what I can tell on Carnival, dress up on formal nights. They tend to be slightly less formal than on some other lines - suits and cocktail dresses mostly and not as many tuxes or floor length gowns. People in my group all plan to dress up for both formal nights - one guy in the bunch is bringing his tux. All us ladies plan to dress to the nines.

This is simply an issue on nights classified as "casual". Most people dress as they would were they to go out to a decent restaurant from what I can tell. We have to remember jeans are no longer work or play clothes. I believe anyone who wears a nice pair of jeans to dinner on a casual night will not feel out of place.

This isn't an arguement about who is right or wrong. People new to cruising want to know what to wear, and I think it's important to let them know how most people dress specific to the cruise line. It's okay to give your opinion and to tell someone how you dress and why. But from what I can tell, a lot of people "wish" for the good old days when everyone dressed up to go to dinner on a cruise. That's not how it is today with Carnival.

I love reading these threads because I know that on some non formal nights there will be some people that will just hate me for wearing jeans and a collarless shirt (aka a T-Shirt), I will leave my baseball cap in the room tho. And then on Formal night the number of stares will be smaller because I wont be in a tux but will wear a dark suit. And as funny as it sounds, my wife has the option of changing what my choices are, and never has (on a cruise anyway).

I personally do not wear jeans on a cruise, but was wondering if people find black jeans less offensive than regular blue jeans? Coming from NC, this along with my black boots would be considered "dressing up" for most:rolleyes: .

The steel toed black boots will stay home as well. Instead of going on a diet to loose five pounds, I can just take them off.

I thought the OP asked about casual vs. resort casual? Okay, IMHO, casual doesn't include blue jeans, black jeans, jeans that cost $150 or jeans with sparkles and designs. They're still jeans. Now, that being said, none of us can agree on the interpretation of the guildelines so you're pretty much left to do as you decide.

Also, consider that when you're cruising, things aren't necessarily like they are at home. Try something new like getting out of those jeans! :)

Archived