Im confused..Vets please clarify

Starz723

Forgive me for my ignorance, but Im a forthcoming first time cruiser and only on the boards a few months.

What is the difference between a gauranteed cabin/balcony and not having a gaurantee?

I booked my first cruise on Feb 28 at the NY Times Travel show in NYC for July 18, 2004 on the Legend. I booked a 6A and was immediately upgraded to a 8F and could choose any available cabin. Yesterday & today is the one day sale.. I called Carnival and they upgraded me again to 8G extended balcony. I chose cabin 7279 aft as opposed to 7161 forward. Both are near the elevators. Honestly, Im running by the seat of my pants, cause I dont know which is/and what is better. Im guessing. I refused the upgrade to the Panorama deck..I didnt want activities above the cabin. I asked about shipboard credit and there was none, just cabin upgrades.

Clarify for me: Was what I did a gauranteed booking? What other way could I have booked? and if so,,do you get upgrades like what was given to me?

This is all an education for me for when I book my next cruise!!

Thanks so very much for your help.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MY VERY FIRST CRUISE EVER!!

On The Legend! E. Carribean

I cant Wait!

Marge

Starz723

[This message was edited by Starz723 on 04-29-04 at 01:14 PM.]

I am confused. You paid for a 6A which is an Ocean View and were immediately upgraded to an 8F which is Balcony on the Verandah Deck. I think that you are the victim of a bait and switch. They told you were getting a huge upgrade but you probably paid for the 8F cabin from the start. A Guarantee is for a Category of cabins. You will get at least that Category with the chance of an upgrade to a better Category. The other way to book is to have your cabin assigned at booking. This costs a little more but you know right away where your cabin will be. Many people book this way to get the cabin that they want on the deck that they want. What you did seems to be an 8F Guarantee. You were assured of at least an 8F cabin or better. Hope this helps.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;3;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Beating the Winter Blues on the Legend

Tropicale 9/95

Sensation 9/97

Carnival Destiny 10/00

Fascination 3/02

Imagination 3/03

Carnival Legend 10/28/03

Carnival Triumph 3/13/04

Carnival Legend 3/19/05

Oh my! Bait and switch..Hmmmm

thats not nice is it! They prolly took advantage of my ignorance. They first booked me on the Empress Deck with a cabin #, but I got them to agree on the verandah deck for the same price.

Oh geez..I was hoping I got a good deal..I know Im cruising peak time.

Thanks for your reply

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I cant Wait!

Marge

Starz723

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Oh my! Bait and switch..Hmmmm

thats not nice is it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see a "bait and switch" here. What I do see is CCL offering you an 8F cabin for a 6A price. It's not uncommon for cruise lines to offer some sort of free upgrade when you book at a certain time.

It sounds like a lot of categories to me, but it's not unheard of to get such a large upgrade at time of booking for what a cruise line might consider a "soft" (expected to be less than sold-out) sailing.

I assume you were happy with the price. If so, all was well. Enjoy!

sleazy2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What I do see is CCL offering you an 8F cabin for a 6A price. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without knowing the price, how can you really say that?

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

Well here is the deal:

Im sailing at a real peak time..actually one of the most expensive sailings,,but thats the day I wanted. July 18, 8 days, on the Legend. Carnival is advertising this sailing at the moment for $1699. without taxes etc for a reg balc rm. they dont state the deck though. Im assuming a lower deck. So maybe I did good..Im so new at this I have no idea.

Verandah deck, Extended balc, I wanted to choose my room which I did, Cabin #7279. I did not want to wait and see what Carnival would assign. I refused the Panorama deck which was offered to me. I still think I paid ALOT! VETERAN CRUISERS TELL ME HOW I DID: $1460/PP + $192. tax, port charges, etc. My son was: $720.

I cant Wait!

Marge

Starz723

[This message was edited by Starz723 on 04-30-04 at 11:56 AM.]

As I stated earlier, I think you got what you paid for. BestPriceCruises.com currently lists a 6A cabin at $1345 pp and any Cat 8 cabin at $1433 pp. I don't know what the prices were 2 months ago. Right now you seem to have the going price for your Cat 8F cabin. The BPC price does include the port charges but not taxes or insurance. Does your price include the travel insurance?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;3;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Tropicale 9/95

Sensation 9/97

Carnival Destiny 10/00

Fascination 3/02

Imagination 3/03

Carnival Legend 10/28/03

Carnival Triumph 3/13/04

Carnival Legend 3/19/05

The price quoted above had no insurance..Im paying that seperate.

$99 adult & $59 child.

No deal here I can see. icon_redface.gif that does not make me a happy camper. But, I live and learn and look forward to my first cruise.

At least Ive found a good website to go to book in the future. Thanks Doug! icon_smile.gif

I cant Wait!

Marge

Starz723

It looks like you're still outside the cancellation period. you might be able to drop your travel insurance. Check out insuremytrip.com for travel insurance.

What will You be doing in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I'll be on my First Cruise With The TRIUMPH'S CRUISIN KRAZY CARIBE CREW

We all learn alot from our first cruise. I didn't learn about the pricing game with credits and upgrades until after my third cruise. You will love the Legend. It is a great ship. You will also love the balcony. Don't worry so much about what you paid but plan to enjoy every day of your cruise. Check out your ports of call and what excursions are available. Look up the ship's deck plan and find all the areas of the ship that you want to explore. Go to Chris's website lifeiscruising.com for all kinds of good cruise info. Keep monitoring the Carnival website to look for a price drop. The cancellation period is approaching and right after that the price may drop due to cabins being returned by TA's. If it does, call your TA or Carnival and ask for a credit/refund. It won't hurt to ask.

Tropicale 9/95

Sensation 9/97

Carnival Destiny 10/00

Fascination 3/02

Imagination 3/03

Carnival Legend 10/28/03

Carnival Triumph 3/13/04

Carnival Legend 3/19/05

You are outside the cancellation period. I just checked my online site (I'm not sure if I can tell you the name). The total for an 8G with one child, two adults is 4134.62. If you're paying lots more than that, I'd cancel and rebook. It looks like a lot of 8Gs are left.

HTH

Laura

I dont have to pay upfront till next week,,May 7th!! It totals $4216..without insurance..an extra $258 for ins.

do you have the website,,so I can look into it.

I can still cancel. Looks like a savings of couple hundred..was that price you quoted with insurance?

Thank you so much

I cant Wait!

Marge

Starz723

[This message was edited by Starz723 on 04-30-04 at 05:29 PM.]

Hi Starz,

The website I found the quote on is cruisedealsonline. I'm pretty sure I can't give you a link but that is the name! Anyway, the price I found is with all port charges and taxes, but no insurance so it really isn't that much better than what you got (unless your quote didn't include taxes). I like this site because its easy to see what rooms are available and I like the members area, and I did use them to book my December Legend cruise, but I'd check a few on the discount places to see what they have to offer!

Good Luck!

Laura

I suggest you call an online TA because the prices are usually lower than what is listed online. Call first and see what the price is and then decide. Also remember it is sometimes hard to book a quad.

Elation 4/04

Celebration 5/03

Legend 4/03

Victory 4/02

Sensation 7/96

Holiday 7/94

Celebration 6/93

Archived