How Big is Too Big?

LauraS

What are everyone's thoughts on this? :eek:

"delivery of the first ship planned for Fall 2008 and the second ship in Summer 2009. Celebrity also announced names of both new ships.

The first new ship will be called Celebrity Solstice, and the second ship will be named Celebrity Equinox. The new series of ships will be known as the Solstice class. Terms for the second Solstice-class vessel are substantially the same as those of the first ship.

Both new ships will be 2,850-guest vessels measuring 1,033 feet in length and 121 feet in width. Their added size will allow Celebrity to offer larger standard staterooms, a higher percentage of balconies and an exceptional range of guest-inspired services and amenities"

Of our 30 cruises - the one which was least enjoyable was on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. If I'm looking for a shopping mall atmosphere, ala the Promenade, I'll go to Minneapolis. Ship left me totally cold especially the "Parade" which replaced stage shows where the passengers sat in comfortable seats rather than standing, IF you were able to get a spot on the promenade after late dinner seating, or from an aerial view from one of the overhead venues. Especially disliked the 24 hour coffee bar in the Promenade - could NEVER replace the tranquility of sitting in the Windjammer or Poolside enjoying a cup of coffee regardless of the time of day or night. Last but not least, those of us who are elderly and not necessarily wheelchair bound find it to be an unreasonably arduos task to get from one end to the other and God forbid your cabin is forward - getting to the Windjammer or dining room is no picnic. So RCCL and Celebrity, what are you thinking. Certainly you want to outdo the QM2 as the largest ship afloat, but from what I have heard first hand from both ex passengers and show performers - that ship ain't all it's cracked up to be, so what are you thinking? If there is extra profits lying about, why not revert it back to your Crown & Anchor supporters and give us better discounts! Another dislike about EXPLORER, balcony cabins on the rear of the ship overlooking the sporting venues - please - there is nothing like that location ala Legend of the Seas. Seems to me the cruise questionnaire serves no purpose other than to punish waiters and stewards for poor service - believe all other comments are ignored. Not that I am all sour grapes, I am a loyal RCCL and Celebrity customer - over 20 cruises combined - so I'll be back - but nothing larger than the Brilliance class (which we wholeheartedly endorse).

Think of it this way. After you board the ship and tour from on end to the other your cruise could be over! You can always think of it in another way too. If you are in rough seas and are rolling along and hit a good size wave you may not feel it in the back of the ship for 45 minutes! Where will they go with this thing? I don't think I want to find out but, everyone has an opinion.

I said in another thread that a GPS should be part of the embarkation packet. This is just too big- I can't even fathom what embarkation would be like and getting off the ship? :eek: :eek:

Sky Sweet; I've certainly had the experience you talk about from hotels (150-200 people event vs. 500 or more) agree that the service changes dramatically. There's no way around it because you have to begin focusing on efficiencies and less about the overall experience.

We're taking our first M class cruise in Sep (Summit) and have loved all 3 past cruises on Mercury. One of the main reasons is service and the comfortable feeling/layout of the ship (okay and the great t-pool and huge sky suite balconies on Sky deck too!) . We're looking forward to trying the M-class ship but I just don't ever see us on a 5400 pax ship, it's not the experience we look for in a vacation.

Sky Sweet; I've certainly had the experience you talk about from hotels (150-200 people event vs. 500 or more) agree that the service changes dramatically. There's no way around it because you have to begin focusing on efficiencies and less about the overall experience.

That depends a GREAT deal upon whether the hotel has a regular business in catering large scale events.

If a hotel is in the business of handling events around 150-200, but doesn't often handle events of 500 or more, I'd agree that it's not likely to provide the same service for the latter. They wouldn't be staffed (or possibly even equipped) for large events, and would have to bring in other workers and equipment that wouldn't normally be "on the payroll" to cover the extra work involved. That's going to have an impact on the end result.

But that's exactly where the analogy falls apart. A cruise ship expects to do the same large volume business every day, not as an exceptional event. A ship is already staffed and equipped to handle the crowds. So unless Celebrity reduces staffing ratios below current levels, I don't see the argument.

I like to feel like I'm on a 'boat'

The last ship I was on was my largest thus far (Carnival Miracle, Spirit class...weighing about 85,000 tons I think)

That range seems pretty big enough to me. This new monster is just too little like a ship and too much like a floating city for my taste. I think it's great for people who want that kind of experience to have the option...but I pray that they don't stop building 'normal' sized ships for people who want to fell like they're on a cruise, not in the midst of an amusement park.

It saddens me that when I finally reach the juncture in my life where I can cruise more often, that true 'cruising' has changed so drastically and doesn't resemble cruising at all.

I also feel a little sad that there are many people out there who need all that amusement park stuff to keep them occupied on a ship, and that just being out on the ocean, admiring that beautiful sea is somehow 'boring'.

Archived