Interesting article on the Port of New Orleans and Sensation's move there

CruiseMark

From the New Orleans Times Picayune. Good article about how the port is expanding big time, and a small mention of Sensation and other ships.

http://www.nola.com/business/t-p/index.ssf?/base/money-0/1083234593187040.xml

Mark

Star Princess - Sept 1990 - Alaska

Radiance of the Seas - Sept 2001 - Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;8;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on The 8/21 Carnival Sensation!

That's good new for NOLA, but I hope they are addressing the traffic infrastructure and the parking situation. It's a total mess at the port. If they are going to expand and build more terminals, they need to add sufficient parking and the means for better traffic flow into the port. Another issue that needs to be addressed is the taxi situation. I don't know if NOLA regulates the taxi companies and the fares they charge, but compared to the other ports they are outrageous.

Atom.gif

Sensation.gif

Next Cruises! SENSATION 5/6/04 then MIRACLE 2/13/05!

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory Hounds I, Conquestadors

Jan, you are so right about taxi fares!! Paying $28 to go from the Riverside Hilton to the port--only a few blocks away--was outrageous!! It's a good thing that 4 of us shared the taxi ride!!

Also, they just aren't to organized inside the terminal--but, that is only my opinion.

Marilyn

MumsyO

Next cruise: Sensation, May 6, 2004

HAL, Amsterdam, Aug. 1, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till I'm howling with the Hounds!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle 2/13/05

Thx for the article. I'm sailing on the Sensation Nov. 1, and I hope they have made improvements by then.

As far as the taxis go, you are SO right! It's $7pp for the shortest ride, standard fee. I had to take a taxi to Fulton St. Garage once, and it was $7 for less than 3 blocks. Outrageous! icon_eek.gif And no, the city of N.O. does not regulate taxi fares. They're union.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Cotton: Hey there~~from reading your posts, I thought you were loyal to the Holiday! icon_biggrin.gif Now I see you're going to try the Sensation. Just feeling ready for a little change, are you? icon_wink.gif

Penny

Disney Magic~~Eastern 7/03

Carnival Celebration~~Western 3/04

Aug 1, 2004 Carnival Elation--Yippee, Our 3rd Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

according to all my information Cotton wont be able to cruise the Sensation due to the fact the ship will be in dry dock for repairs.

with two hugh groups going on the 23rd of Oct One being all-inclusive she will be in need of restocking the alcohol supply and refurbing everything else.LOL

<font SIZE="1">Click here for my Cruise Pics</font>

<font SIZE="1">***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***</font>

Sensation.gif

royalsmallwide.gif

saintsinners.gif

Miracle.gif

valorvampires.gif

<font SIZE="1">Opinions expressed by the poster are not necessarily the opinions of Cruise Critic or the Independent Traveler.

They might not even be the opinion of the poster, being he may be out of his mind at the time</font>

Atom.gif

Hey Cotton, you got a deal! On April 25th, I was charged $10 for the ride from the port to the Fulton St. Garage (there was already a couple in the taxi van going somewhere else and I had no luggage).

Maybe the price is higher because it was Jazzfest time?!?!

icon_biggrin.gifPenny ~ Yep, just to be different. I think I could walk around the Holiday blindfolded at this point. icon_rolleyes.gif I did, however, help my son get booked on the Holiday when she moves to Mobile, so I'm kinda keeping her in the family!

Zone ~ Hey man, I TRIED for October 23...all sold out! Puleeeeeeeze leave a little vino for me!

Tclowe ~ icon_eek.gif Y'know what, you might be right. I know during Super Bowl, they have raised the rates. Not fair, but they go with what the traffic will allow, pun intended. icon_wink.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Why are people payng to take a taxi between the Fulton Street Garage and the port when parking price includes private shuttle service and luggage handling to and from your cruise ship at the Port of New Orleans?

I've only had to use Fulton St. Garage once when Port Authority lot was full. I DID take the shuttle TO the pier, BUT....

Do you have any idea how many folks are trying to get BACK to the garage AFTER the cruise - all at the same time? It's awful!

The shuttle takes forever to get all those folks back...very long lines...so after waiting for over 30 minutes, I just grabbed that $7 cab. icon_wink.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Archived