Advice regarding Mendenhall glacier treks needed please

Spins123

Hello, 

Would anybody be able to give their views and experiences regarding our plans for trekking on Mendenhall glacier please. We are doing a back to back cruise so will be in Juneau twice. I'm thinking of doing the trek to the glacier with ABAK and then the following week doing the helicopter glacier trek with northstar or the pilot's choice excursion. I'm thinking that they will provide different experiences although both will involve 1-2 hrs trekking on the glacier.

I'm considering both as:

I would like to do the west glacier trek to the glacier.

I would also like to experience the helicopter ride.

I'm thinking that we would be exploring different areas of the glacier.

I believe there is a possibility of seeing ice caves with the trek to the glacier but not the heli trek.

Or should I just choose the one  excursion 😃

I would also like to know anyone's thoughts regarding taking both flights to Mendenhall glacier and one over glacier bay. Both are expensive excursions. Did anyone feel that they are visually similar or is the Glacier bay flight viewing far superior and therefore in their opinion worth doing both.

Sorry for the long post! 

Can’t really comment on your excursions except to say that Alaska Above & Beyond is great!  We did the Canoe & Glacier Walk excursion a few years ago.  So much fun that we’re doing again with family next year!  Great guides, wonderful experience.

Enjoy your planning!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 11:01 AM, disneyochem said:

Can’t really comment on your excursions except to say that Alaska Above & Beyond is great!  We did the Canoe & Glacier Walk excursion a few years ago.  So much fun that we’re doing again with family next year!  Great guides, wonderful experience.

Enjoy your planning!

I’m planning to do that one 😁

Something to think about, do the helicopter first in case of bad weather you can possibly move it to the next week. I haven't done either ,but I think doing both depends on if there is anything else that excited you, I would do that before selecting a similair trip.