Locking luggage questions

ginam

Ok, if your suposed to lock your luggage at the port before you give them to the porters, are you suposed to lock them before going to the airport? I did not think you were suposed to lock them at the airport? Should I use cable ties at the airport, and then bring little locks to put on the port? icon_confused.gif

Can't wait!! Caribbean here I come!!!

I just used cable ties. Those little locks aren't going to stop anyone trying to get into your suitcase. As a matter of fact, most of the locks that come with suitcases use a common key.

Sovereign of the Seas (11/89)

Monarch of the Seas (8/99)

Norwegian Sea (7/02)

Carnival Glory (4/17/04)

If your luggage is locked at the airport, and the TSA wants in, they'll get in.

Use cable ties. The TSA will cut them off and replace them when done.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

detroit100.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else in the works as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

In the Welcome Aboard booklet that comes w/your docs, Carnival suggests locking your luggage before leaving it at the pier, as well as locking it before leaving it outside your cabin the night before debarkation.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

With the nail clippers that you have packed in your carry-on bag (yes, TSA allows them).

detroit100.gif

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

I am afraid that if a thief wants in, they can they cut your cable tie with their handy little nail clipper, and replace it with another cable-tie. I think I saw different colored ones somewhere. Does anyone know where these can be brought? There were bright green, orange, and different colored ones.

Blessings 2 U

Miracle Sept 5,2004 7 day

Destiny June 13,2004 7 day

Disney Magic Sept 6,2003 7 day

Spirit Nov.2002 Panama 8 day

Paradise Oct 2002 10 day

Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

Have seen the neon cable ties at Wal-Mart and Kroger.

detroit100.gif

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

And then:

I used the little cheapy white cable ties, and had no problem. EXCEPT when the suitcases were delivered to my cabin and I found out I had packed my trusty nail-clippers in the suitcase at the hotel! Damn... icon_mad.gif

Gentleman across the hall just happened to have his 'clippers' handy.. He actually got a chuckle out of my dilemma!! icon_eek.gif

One suitcase out of four was searched each way by TSA, and their tyrap attached! Souvenir..!

I married my best friend in OchoRios, April 22!

odie_anm.gif

Triumph 4/04

Imagination 5/00

OceanBreeze 11/96

USS 'Neversail' SanDiego 10/65

Oh how silly I was! I used the cable ties and then forgot about how I was to open the luggage! Of course, the last bag to arrive had the nail clipers. we used the free razor in the bathroom to cut the ties. Hey, it worked! Live and Learn!

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive.

Robert Louis Stevenson

Just last week Magellan (where I have purchased a lot of travel accesories), emailed me that the TSA has just authorized the use of a Travel Sentry Certified Combination Lock. I went to a luggage specialty store and was told the same thing from the owner. I purchased them at $8.95 each. On the back of the package it states: "airline check-in personnel and the TSA have been trained to recognize locks with the Travel Sentry mark and know that your luggage can remain locked during check-in. If an inspection is necessary during screening, the TSA personnel can quickly use an approved Travel Sentry secured code to safely open and relock your locked luggage."

If also states that you will get a replacement if the lock is cut or damaged by TSA.

I have used the cable ties previously, but feel much more secure having our luggage locked. The store where I purchased 8 of these said they just came in and are already selling like "hot cakes".

Originally posted by lsscancun:

$8.95 each. On the back of the package it states: "airline check-in personnel and the TSA have been trained to recognize locks with the Travel Sentry mark and know that your luggage can remain locked during check-in.

icon_confused.gif I'm sorry, but in reading this a coupla times, it just seems like a misnomer to state that TSA/personnel has been specifically "trained" to check for certain locks, and that it is 'assumed' all is well since these locks are being used... icon_confused.gif Also that they DO have access if needed. Might as well use the cablelocks or little luggage locks.

Sounds like a gimmick-phrase to get folks to buy these locks. Just my opinion, but I'd rather have put my $72+tax to other use. (I don't mean to be negative, just trying to understand the reasoning here.)

But, if you're happy...

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

I definitely have to agree with Cotton on this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lsscancun:

airline check-in personnel and the TSA have been trained to recognize locks with the Travel Sentry mark<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not likely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>you will get a replacement if the lock is cut or damaged by TSA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is going to cost them a fortune.

I'll stick with the neon yellow cable ties, thank you very much.

detroit100.gif

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

And then:

In addition when TSA removes locks or ties, not only do they replace them with their own tie but they also include a card inside indicating they have opened it.

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

Just use the cable ties and put clothes , etc in checked bags.

The biggest theives in the airport ARE the TSA personnel and the attitude of the TSA is completely irresponsible.

Experience.

There is no accountabilty/supervision and there have been thefts with eyewitness and the TSA doesn't investigate.

just use cable ties

I have to agree with the rest of the posters here about using cable ties. Now-a-days - nothing is safe in your luggage. Whether you use "approved locks" or cable ties, if they want in your luggage... they're going to get in your luggage!

Last year when I flew to Orlando, I used cable ties, and when I got my luggage; I found a little red TSA cable tie on one of my suitcases and a little note inside that they had went through my bag.

The only things I had in there were shoes, and clothing. All my valuables are put in my carry-on luggage.

13_1_103.gif

Lorrie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;31;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Official Countdown to Conquest!

Paradise 9/03

Pride 9/02

Fantasy 5/00

Sensation 3/97

I lock my luggage before putting it outside my door the night before. Then, when I get to the airport, I just unlock them before checking in. That works for me. I figure that if anyone really wants to get into my bag, they can no matter what I do with them. I always carry anything of value in my "back saver" bag with me on the plane.

Marilyn

MumsyO

Next cruise: Sensation, May 6, 2004

HAL, Amsterdam, Aug. 1, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till I'm howling with the Hounds!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle 2/13/05

For me, the cable tie is more about preventing accidental opening than security. Have seen bags that have opened with clothes everywhere on the baggage carousel.

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

We have always used cable ties even before 9/11. I used to put scissors in my carry on, but now I put them in the outside zippered part of the suit case. Remember to leave just enough room when you pull the tie through to get your scissors through.

<MARQUEE>Forever Cruzin...</MARQUEE>

Emerald Seas 1990 & 1991

Dolphin 1992

Fantasy 1996

Soveriegn of the Seas 1998 & 2000

Norway 2001

Century 2002

Triumph 2003

Paradise 2003

Maybe I didn't clarify it, but the TSA inspectors have a special tool to open the locks that I mentioned, then they use the same tool to reset it back to your combination. The only way it should break is if TSA doesn't use the tool. I'm hoping it will work and keep all of my luggage safe. If so, the money which I spent on it was well worth it!!

I wasn't trying to criticize anyone for not buying them; I only wanted to make everyone aware of this lock. After that, it is up to each individual to decide what is the best way to keep their luggage as safe as possible.

Hi again. I realize you are just trying to let folks know about this, and that is commendable. icon_smile.gif

However, what I think is 'way out there' is to realistically expect ALL personnel at EVERY airport in the world to have this special 'tool' for the Sentry company - or any company.

Can you just see it....Busy, busy TSA personnel: "Hey Joe, here's another one of those Sentry locks; where'd ya put that tool?"

It just isn't logical. icon_wink.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

I buy plastic numbered seals from CAA (Canada's version of AAA). They are about $5.00 for 12. I like them because I record the # on them & I know if someone has tampered with it.

It is certainly not fool proof but at least no one can replace the seal & make it look like no one was in the suitcase.

NCL Sea November 2001

NCL Sun November 2002

Carnival Legend November 2004

Archived