labadee waverunners question

sanken

Make sure you don't get behind some hotshots who think it is fun to disregard the instructions, therefore making it hard for others to follow in a safe manner.

DH actually flipped our waverunner - we knew this was going to happen because of the people we were following. Waverunner flipped up tossing DH and I in the ocean, and waverunner hit me in the head when it came down I don't swim so I had a few scary minutes, DH "saved" me, and the leaders were great about stopping everyone and giving me a rest at the next cove. Plus we lined up in different order - that helped. I learned a couple things on this excursion.

Do not follow hot shots - try to get at the front of the group where there will be less wake.

Salt water does not taste good!:eek:

A life jacket is a good thing.

A bump on the head lasts a while, but a good drink (labadoosie) does relieve the pain.

Sunglasses (prescription) will stay on your head even if you do go under water!

I will do waverunners again some time, it was a lot of fun despite the accident. In fact we may rent them at one of the beaches on our next cruise. I have made it a point to try something a bit our of my comfort zone on each cruise/vacation.

Enjoy the excursion, you will see some of the coastline and it is really beautiful.

We did this last summer. My two teens loved it. We had never used the waverunners before. The guides were very good. They asked if someone was uncomfortable and wanted to be last. I volunteered! They space you apart at a comfortable distance and help you if you need it. Our guide gave us some facts/information on the people and the area that we enjoyed. We would have liked to stayed out a bit longer, but ah well.....

kcmom

Near the end of the ride we were brought to an area where some locals were selling native crafts out of their canoes. I had no money with me so I didn't buy and felt uncomfortable not being able to. Be prepared to say no or bring some cash.

Make sure you don't get behind some hotshots who think it is fun to disregard the instructions, therefore making it hard for others to follow in a safe manner.

DH actually flipped our waverunner - we knew this was going to happen because of the people we were following. Waverunner flipped up tossing DH and I in the ocean, and waverunner hit me in the head when it came down I don't swim so I had a few scary minutes, DH "saved" me, and the leaders were great about stopping everyone and giving me a rest at the next cove. Plus we lined up in different order - that helped. I learned a couple things on this excursion.

Do not follow hot shots - try to get at the front of the group where there will be less wake.

Salt water does not taste good!:eek:

A life jacket is a good thing.

A bump on the head lasts a while, but a good drink (labadoosie) does relieve the pain.

Sunglasses (prescription) will stay on your head even if you do go under water!

I will do waverunners again some time, it was a lot of fun despite the accident. In fact we may rent them at one of the beaches on our next cruise. I have made it a point to try something a bit our of my comfort zone on each cruise/vacation.

Enjoy the excursion, you will see some of the coastline and it is really beautiful.

Sorry but you should not incounter any wake if you are keeping your distance from the rider in front of you. It is follow the leader and they want those that want to go fast in front for this vary reason. Everone is given their position based on who want to go the fastest. Then they call your number and you take off, you are to maintain a 100 yards between waverunners, thus no wake. Waves are another story however. We own a waverunner and have yet to FLIP it over.

BonVoyage

Dawna

We were following instructions and the correct distance- the young'uns in front of us were zig zagging back and forth making an unavoidable huge wake that was impossible to deal with.

After changing positions on the way back and following somone else there was no problem. My DH has used similar runners without a problem, so it was not us or his driving.

In spite of this- we had a great time and I would do the waverunners again.

Re the natives selling things- we didn't know this would happen and didn't take money with us. Next time I would take $ just in case we stop.

"love to vacation " i take my hat off to you ,you are so spot on with your comments ,coming from the uk and having used as we call them JETSKIS in the muddy ,dingy north sea ,I thought me a my son would be ok in the caribbean calm waters....I was put number 3 in our party of 10 and was told to keep in the wake of the person in front of me ,i couldnt keep in touch with the front 2 a was constantly hitting all sorts of break waters and waves ,so I demoted myself to number 5 and had a great time after that

well worth doing though ,did 2 waverunners last november in antigua a barbados with my 3 kiddies ,but these were private hire a not excersions ..

ppps dont have 2-3 the rum punches in barbados before tackling a waverunner/jetski as you seem to lose all track of time a speed ...........

thanks for listening to my jabberings

see you in jan 07 for serenade trip to south caribbean

I had never been on a waverunner before and loved it. I was somewhere in the middle of the pack. Don't forget a waterproof disposable camera. I got some great photos of the scenary and my SO on his waverunner. Also, make sure you have sunglasses that aren't going to fall off, or attach them to something!!

We own a waverunner and have yet to FLIP it over.

BonVoyage

Dawna

This is not a flame, and I'm not being rude.....honest question.....How could you own a waverunner and NEVER flip it? Honestly? Do you use it on small inland lakes? Or do you ride very conservatively?

I have never met anyone who has more than 10 hours on one of those that hasn't been thrown at least once! It's part of the fun!

I was riding (pic) in a small lake last summer....I took 4 drinks in half an hour!

As far as the tour goes....I've done it. Very enjoyable...but fairly easy on beginner riders.

Post.jpg.6757017f190b7271849fe166022aeb9b.jpg

We have done this excursion on two different occasions.

First time we did it I was the passenger with my hubby. Being the passenger is far harder than being the driver.

We had a fabulous time though.

Second time I drove with my youngest son on the back. The water was incredibly rough 10-15 foot swells (no joke). The crew said I did a fantastic job driving considering it was my first time to do so in that type of water. They said they never saw the water so rough there. It did however make it very exciting :D You would be driving along and come off a swell and drop the number of feet the swell was high, scarey :eek: and exciting:D all at the same time.

I would recommend this excursion however, it is very pricey compared to renting jet ski (waverunners) in any port.

You will enjoy it!

This is not a flame, and I'm not being rude.....honest question.....How could you own a waverunner and NEVER flip it? Honestly? Do you use it on small inland lakes? Or do you ride very conservatively?

I have never met anyone who has more than 10 hours on one of those that hasn't been thrown at least once! It's part of the fun!

I was riding (pic) in a small lake last summer....I took 4 drinks in half an hour!

As far as the tour goes....I've done it. Very enjoyable...but fairly easy on beginner riders.

Key word to me was Flip over, I have been thrown off many many, ok a lot of times. It is part of the fun. We ride on normal inland lakes and don't necessarily ride conservatively, just safely. No flames received :D Things could be different in the back of the pack I guess, my husband raised his hand when they asked "who likes to go fast". I thought the question was a trick question and elbowed him in the ribs but then we got position #1 behind the guide.

UKcrazycruisers: Jet Ski is a brand name just as Waverunner. We actually have a SeaDoo Xp. If I remember right JetSki started it with the standup kind and now they have the big sitting kind you can sleep on if need be, hehe.

BonVoyage

Dawna

scan_400x264.jpg.4127c2661c3298d26b19f0bf8aaeff49.jpg

I have never driven one of these before...is it easy to pick up how to use one?

My first time (and only time - so far) was at Labadee. It is like riding a bike except for one thing. You can only turn when applying power. So if you are getting close to someone and you reduce power and try to turn, you will just go straight. You have to apply power to turn. Once you learn that, it is fairly easy to drive.

Now as far as picking one up, they are fairly heavy. You might want to have a friend help you (HA HA).

I have never driven one of these before...is it easy to pick up how to use one?

If you can ride a bicycle, you can ride a personal watercraft.

A word of advice....speed is your friend (to an extent). Contrary to how your nerves might beg to differ, these craft become more stable the faster they move. You are more likely to fall off at no speed or low idle speed than at full throttle.

Just like a bike, though....you lean into turns, you stand up for big bumps, you hold on until your knuckles are white! Tons of fun!

CruisinDawn>>>>>>>I guess I missed your operative word "flipped" You're right....a full capsize is VERY hard to accomplish. I also rode in slot #1 in labadee. Best view in the house. My favorite part was when you go right past the ship..and it's all huge and giant sticking up out of the water! Awesome! P.S....thanks for not reading into my question! :)

I'll also chime in that you should be in halfway decent shape to really *enjoy* a waverunner. Don't need to be a personal trainer or anything, but if you are a couch potato 364 days a year, a waverunner will put a hurt on you (if you do anything beyond putting around).

Generally, you don't actually sit down on them much....you squat and use your legs a lot. The thing that surprised me most when I last rode one was that my HANDS got tired. All that vibrating and holding on for dear life! LOL

They are lots of fun, but MORE fun the faster you go! :)

Tracy

I have to agree with the other poster. If you were the prescribed 100 yards behind, the actions of the people in front of you should have had no bearing on your ability to control your waverunner.

They specifically tell you to stay at least 100 yards behind, while also stating that they want the faster riders up front (that way the slower ones don't hold everyone back... i.e., some people don't feel as comfortable going as fast as others, so you do your pace, but don't stop me from doing mine).

Being thrown from the runner is one thing, but flipping the entire thing is something entirely different.

Hello,

I have been on waverunners many times and the only time I didn't enjoy the experience was at Labadee. I understand they need to keep the participants in some kind of formation or group but I was really unhappy with the speed. I think to insure a fun trip for all they should break the group into riders who want to simply tour the area at a comfortable speed and the riders who are more experienced and enjoy speed and zig-zagging go at their pace. It would make it more fun, the faster riders don't have to slow down and wait for the others and the slower riders aren't white-knuckling it to keep up. Just my experience though...

Hello,

I have been on waverunners many times and the only time I didn't enjoy the experience was at Labadee. I understand they need to keep the participants in some kind of formation or group but I was really unhappy with the speed. I think to insure a fun trip for all they should break the group into riders who want to simply tour the area at a comfortable speed and the riders who are more experienced and enjoy speed and zig-zagging go at their pace. It would make it more fun, the faster riders don't have to slow down and wait for the others and the slower riders aren't white-knuckling it to keep up. Just my experience though...

Not a bad idea. The only down side I see it that it would take twice as many staff to for two groups as it does for one group.

Not a bad idea. The only down side I see it that it would take twice as many staff to for two groups as it does for one group.

Well, they could simply have the 1 o'clock tour for novices only, adn the 2 o'clock tour for advanced riders only....that would make tons of sense to me.

Well, they could simply have the 1 o'clock tour for novices only, adn the 2 o'clock tour for advanced riders only....that would make tons of sense to me.

That works for me. Now, is the first post for the 1:00pm group and the second post for the 2:00pm group. :) Should I respond twice? :)

That would be MUCH safer.

We are a family of 4, parents and 2 teenagers, who did this tour a year ago November. The staff was "cocky" and laughed at the rough waters, taking us all out anyway.

We had a short orientation session, after which they asked "who likes to go fast?" Those who like to go fast were lined up first and the rest of us "newbies" were left to the rear. The problem was that no staff was assigned to be with the newbies. They took off like bats out of you-know-where, and we and and a couple of other waverunners were left behind in the dust.

The water was very rough and several waverunners ended up getting in trouble, including our teenagers, who capsized on top of a coral reef after their machine stalled and they drifted on top of it. They were knocked over by a wave. Both kids ended up quite cut up from the reef, and another disabled machine was knocked into ours, hitting my leg and causing an internal bruise that has only recently stopped being painful in certain situations.

RCCL itself was very concerned (probably about potential legal action), provided medical treatment, and were adequately responsive to the problems.

Bottom line is....DON'T RELY ON THE STAFF TO TRAIN/HELP YOU WITH THIS ACTIVITY.

First....Sorry for the double post.....don't know how that happened.

That would be MUCH safer.

We are a family of 4, parents and 2 teenagers, who did this tour a year ago November. The staff was "cocky" and laughed at the rough waters, taking us all out anyway.

We had a short orientation session, after which they asked "who likes to go fast?" Those who like to go fast were lined up first and the rest of us "newbies" were left to the rear. The problem was that no staff was assigned to be with the newbies. They took off like bats out of you-know-where, and we and and a couple of other waverunners were left behind in the dust.

The water was very rough and several waverunners ended up getting in trouble, including our teenagers, who capsized on top of a coral reef after their machine stalled and they drifted on top of it. They were knocked over by a wave. Both kids ended up quite cut up from the reef, and another disabled machine was knocked into ours, hitting my leg and causing an internal bruise that has only recently stopped being painful in certain situations.

RCCL itself was very concerned (probably about potential legal action), provided medical treatment, and were adequately responsive to the problems.

Bottom line is....DON'T RELY ON THE STAFF TO TRAIN/HELP YOU WITH THIS ACTIVITY.

That's a horrible story! I wonder what went wrong? I remembeer when I did the tour, there was one guide up front, leading, one guide bringing up the rear, and one in the middle, acting as kind of a shepherd. Sounds like somebody really screwed up with staffing on your trip.

I hope everybody's ok now!

First....Sorry for the double post.....don't know how that happened.

I have that problem all the time also. I also wish I knew what caused it, so I could stop doing it. Oh well, one of the mysteries of life I guess.

Archived