Sea sickness

James 'n' Katrina

I will be taking 1/4 - 1/2 of a phenergan tablet and the kids upto 5ml of liquid phenergan.

This is what the onboard doctor gave us on our last cruise (I had a phenergan injection). It worked for us.

Kazza

When I cruised on the Sapphire Princess the crossing from New Zealand to Tasmania got very rough. I was fine up until then but that night at dinner I started to turn green with sea sickness.

I had ginger tablets with me so I took them but they didn't help at all. I was told to go to the ships desk and ask for Dramamine (not sure of the spelling)

I went to my cabin and took these and rested on my bed. I felt much bettter after a few hours. Next morning the seas had calmed down and I was fine for the rest of the cruise.

Would never go on a cruise without these tablets.

I don't know if Dramamine is available for purchase on the P&O ships.

Marleneann.

My family took kwells and they done the job but my son who was 2 1/2 at the time he was give phenergan and it helped. The kwells or any sea sickness tablets are a little on the expensive side but I wouldnt go without them. We took one the first few days and when we were on the way home we had 7 metre swells which made us pretty ill so we took it than.

I didnt have the sea sickness onboard I got Labyrinthitis after the ship and wasnt allowed to drive for a week. I am hoping this time around I will not have this problem but will take the tablets everyday regardless if it is for only 4 days.

Have fun!Hope this helps

Try and get some sea bands which you put on the pressure points on your wrists. Phenergan is good, beware it is sedating only take 10mg not 25 or you'll be comatosed, best to take at night. Ginger is said to work, Kwells works, Stemeil will sedate, Maxalon is good.

we used stugeron which isnt for sale here (might be in a different name) it is for sale over the counter in england. My dad who lived on his boat for many years swore by it, so we got some. We took them in the morning before we left and about every 4 hours till day 2 (was afraid to stop taking them) the seas were very smooth for us and we had no further problems, no drowsiness even kids did ok with them.

we then took them the last night as captain said it may be a bit rougher (usual for return to australian waters) and again we all had no problems.

I have a friend arriving from uk a week on monday with my supply for the next cruise,however, that really doesnt help everyone else , sorry!!

Just remember Kwells and the like are preventative medication rather than a cure, they need to be taken before you sail and maybe for the first day or so (depending on the seas). It is hard to take oral tablets once you are already sick, so prevention is the trick. :)

We found Kwells worked great - But as Suey said use them to prevent sea sickness and take them before you cruise- we take them the night before and then 2 hours before the ship sails this makes you fell more secure and helps get rid of any mind over matter sea sickness - get a good start to the cruise and feel confident and the rest of the cruise should be sea sickness free?

Peter & Cheryl

There are definately two types of medication for travel sickness.

1 is the antihistamine type (phenergen) which actually works on the inner ear - that is what is making you feel sick, the fluid in your inner ear trying to adjust to the constant movement, with your eyes telling your brain something totally different.

The second type of medication is the anti-nausea - (maxalon) type and that actually treats the feeling of sickness.

Just look at the active ingredients on the box to find out which is which.

I used the phenergen and that worked really well, I got my sea legs within two days and stopped taking them. They last about 6-8 hours I think. I would suggest taking both types of medication with you though, because to see the doctor on board (they won't even give you over the counter medication without seeing a doctor) is really expensive, $74 consultation fee + medication!

Hi James'n'Katrina,

As a number of people have said motion sickness medication (Kwells, , Travel Calm, Dramamine etc) are preventative medicine. I would also suggest you also you take a few other actions if you find yourelf feeling a little queasy.

1. Go for a walk on deck in the fresh air.
  2. Have a drink of Ginger Ale or water.
  3. Try and avoid other sick people. I know that I am a sympathy vomitor (sp?) and if someone is being sick near me I most likely join them, especially if I am feeling a little queasy myself.
  4. If it gets too bad, go and see the doctor and get the injection. I think once you are vomitting it is near impossible for anything to work other than the injection. Isn't it better to pay for the doctor and feel better and enjoy the cruise (then claim it back off your travel insurance when you get back) rather than spending the holiday you have waited for sick in bed. If you are sick you won't need spending money!!

I have only felt queasy a few times and usually 1 & 2 work for me.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Where do you buy kwells and other sea sickness medication? It it over the counter from a chemist or do you need a prescription? :confused:

Over the counter at a chemist. We find that Epharmacy or the like have the best prices. They have a fairly long shelf life so we always buy more than we think we will take and use them on the next cruise! I think they sell either Kwells or Travelcalm on board in the kiosk but they are much more expensive.

As someone else said above it pays to take any other over the counter medication you think you may need. It is very expensive to see the onboard doctors for something that could be easily cured. I don't normally need to worry about this as my Aunt is a nurse and usually takes more than we need. Maybe Frog could give her suggestions on what your small first aid kit should include?

Cheers,

Chaz:)

We found Kwells worked great - But as Suey said use them to prevent sea sickness and take them before you cruise- we take them the night before and then 2 hours before the ship sails this makes you fell more secure and helps get rid of any mind over matter sea sickness - get a good start to the cruise and feel confident and the rest of the cruise should be sea sickness free?

Peter & Cheryl

Agree with the above....Took Kwells an hour before sailaway and a ginger tablet every day after that...worked for me.:)

1 is the antihistamine type (phenergen) which actually works on the inner ear - that is what is making you feel sick, the fluid in your inner ear trying to adjust to the constant movement, with your eyes telling your brain something totally different.

Remember to be careful taking these type of medications if you are on different prescription drugs, I can't take these kind of antihistamines with the BP tablets I am on.:)

Another vote for sea bands, they work very well for me.

As a back up I take pills with me but have not had to use them since wearing the sea bands. I put the bands on for the first 4 days and leave them off unless it gets rocky!

Jo

I was looking at kwells in the chemist the other day & it says they are a chewable tablet. Can anyone tell me what they taste like? My 10 y.o. is not good at taking anything & he's the one I'm most worried about as he gets car sick. If they taste like red snakes, he'll be right:)

When it comes to medicine, I just have to pick up the bottle & he starts heaving!

Karen

Archived