What season for my formal dress?

HarleyGirl

I am going on my first cruise this November on the Carnival Sensation to the Western Carib. I don't if I should wear a more wintery type of dress or a summery dress on formal night. Is red strictly considered winter? I don't mean dark red, but more of a fire engine red--red red! It is a satiny material, not jacquard or any velvet or anything, with some beads and sequins. What do you guys think? I'm more of a jeans and t-shirt kinda gal, but really looking forward to dressing up on formal night.

Red is perfect for the Caribbean. There are lots of bright colors there and you will fit right in. The fabric is important ... and satin is fine. You just don't want velvet or anything heavy in the sunny climates.

Wear it and have the time of your life. You will be hooked like the rest of us!

Karen

I have seen so many pics of ladies in black dresses on their formal night and while they look very classy, I usually dress in black also and would rather wear something a little different. That song "Lady in Red" just comes to mind! haha The one I have my heart set on is a fiery red, shiny, with lots of beads and sequins. I'm soooo excited!! Don't know if I will ever wear the thing again once we get off the boat though! Thanks for your help!

Sounds perfect!! One word of advice though, it is very cold in the common areas on the ship so you may want to take a wrap of some kind for the dining room, show lounge, etc. On our last cruise, it was so cold, I had to steel DH's suit coat.

Harley Girl,

Congrats on your first cruise.

If cruising someplace warm the seasonal rules for dresses does not usually apply. You would not want to wear heavy velvet because you go in fall.

You red dress sounds perfect.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Red is perfect for the Caribbean. There are lots of bright colors there and you will fit right in. The fabric is important ... and satin is fine. You just don't want velvet or anything heavy in the sunny climates.

I agree with Karen.

Jane

I have seen so many pics of ladies in black dresses on their formal night and while they look very classy, I usually dress in black also and would rather wear something a little different. That song "Lady in Red" just comes to mind! haha The one I have my heart set on is a fiery red, shiny, with lots of beads and sequins. I'm soooo excited!! Don't know if I will ever wear the thing again once we get off the boat though! Thanks for your help!

I'm 40 and I just bought a red sequined strapless formal.....I will be with a bunch of teeny boppers in their prom and homecoming dresses....I wanted to fit in lol:eek: . I think it will be fun and don't really care what anyone else thinks of my choices.........

Archived