Suggestions for you on what to do on Hawaiian stopovers

Paulmj

We've been to Hawaii dozens of times over the years. In fact, my wife and I were married in Wailuku many years ago. If we could afford to live in the Islands, we probably would.

We've taken two 1-way mainland cruises, and we are booked on a 15-day R/T on the Summit at the end of this year.

We've 'done' all the major must-sees over the years. We flew through Waimea Canyon and also the over the volcano in a helicopter. I flew a rented Cessna 172 from Honolulu to Maui and back, especially enjoying the waterfalls on the north coast of Molokai. We biked down Mt. Haleakala, drove to Kilauea from Hilo, took the long ride to Hana (twice!), dined at Mama's Fish House many times, and so on.

Still, Hawaii remains our favoite place to visit, and we still feel this way after having been fortunate to travel extensively world-wide. Enjoying the vistas from a cruise ship balcony is especially nice.

This presents a challenge for us on brief cruise ship visits. We don't golf, don't fish, but sure enjoy first-class ambience and good dining not usually available elsewhere. And, we hate shore excursions.

This is what we do:

We reserve a car in each of the ports of call. We've already done this for next December. We call ahead on the cell from the ship and the shuttle is always there when we step onto the pier. Cost for a 6-8 hour rental in a full-size is about $40-$50, out the door. Maybe we'll invite a dining room acquaintance, yet to be identified, to join us and split the cost of the car.

There are world-class hotels on each island, places where we can't afford to stay, but where we can have a wonderful lunch on the hotel's outside veranda. I call ahead on my cellphone and make reservations. These cafes may not offer the finest meals in the islands, but they are very good and arguably have the finest ambience. Also, we don't eat in any of these places often enough where we feel compelled to always try something new. We'll have lunch and then walk around the grounds, relax by the pool area, check out the beach, before we head off.

There is still time to park in Lahaina and shop a little, maybe drive down to the Hyatt in Poipu for a Mai Tai, anything we want. We're not anchored to a loaded tour bus and I'm convinced that in the end, we save money vs. shore excursions, even the cheaper one.

These are the places we like to go:

Kauai: Cafe Hanalei at the Princeville Resort

Maui: Gold Course clubhouse in Wailea

Oahu: Plumeria at Mandarin Oriental in Kahala

Kona: Pahu-ia at the Four Seasons Hualalai

Finally, from Hilo a hole-in-the wall saimin cafe in the 1-block long village of Akaka Falls, just outside the park. You can't miss it.

Many thanks for the information, we will be on the April 23rd cruise and will start to look into renting a car at the various ports.

Threads like this are what Cruise Critic is all about.

I hate the remarks that are sometime directed to others that may not agree with you.

Happy cruising

Bob Nathan:)

we will ...start to look into renting a car at the various ports.

If you're a Costco member, check car rental prices on their website. I have found that they are invariably less expensive than elsewhere. Costco has arrangements with Hertz, Avis, Budget and Alamo.

Prices vary all over the place, and since it's so easy to check online, check all four companies on the date that interests you. If you get a low price on one island, it doesn't mean that the same company will be low on another island.

I would be interested to know what other hotels you could suggest for lunch.

If you tell me what it is about the places I recommended that makes you want to consider elsewhere, perhaps I can help. Otherwise, I don't keep a list.

We're probably on the same cruise, the 12/23 from San Pedro on the Summit?

I already booked all our car reservations. Why not? It's usually cheaper early on, and since you don't have to put any money up front, you've got nothing to lose. You always can go online later and cross-check the reservations to make sure the price didn't go down.

The coolest thing to do is make those reservations now, and a week before you leave make a bid on Priceline for about 75% of the best price you were given for a normal reservation. If you nail it, go online and cancel the original reservation. I do this all the time.

Do yourself a favor and rent a convertible. The best way to see the Islands.

We lived in Honolulu for 18 years, and still get back twice a year for about 12 days at a time.

Consider the following hotel for lunch/brunch and awesome ambiance:

Oahu: Halekulani (http://www.halekulani.com/)

For something to do, hike Diamond Head (earlier teh better. Opens at 6 or 6:30 am).

Yes, we are on the same cruise. Thanks so much for the Priceline tip. That is just what we will do.

Now my next concern is how long people are saying it is taking to disembark, since we will have to fly across the country and really don't want to book a "red eye". We always plan on arriving a day early but, I'm thinking maybe we should plan on leaving a day late as well. DH worries that that may be pushing the envelope a bit for him (weather related flight delays heading east) since the semester begins on Jan. 8. Ah well, maybe the problems will be ironed out by then :rolleyes: .

In our experience after many cruises over many years, everyone will be off the ship by 10 AM. If you tell them you have a close connection, they'll get you off sooner. If you're in the Captain's Club, they'll get you off first if need be.

Allow 30 minutes maximum after you leave the ship to collect your bags and be in a taxi.

From San Pedro to LAX, especially on a Saturday morning when there is little traffic, should take no more than 30 minutes. Allow an hour under a worse case scenario.

JetBlue flies out of Long Beach airport to JFK. It's even closer to the dock than LAX and more than likely the airfare will be very competitive.

Thanks for that info as well. It does sound possible. We aren't Captains club as this will be our first time sailing with X. Also, Long Beach to Pittsburgh requires 2 or 3 stops so that is out. But all things being equal, you make it sound like a 1pm flight is doable.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're a Costco member, check car rental prices on their website. I have found that they are invariably less expensive than elsewhere. Costco has arrangements with Hertz, Avis, Budget and Alamo.

Prices vary all over the place, and since it's so easy to check online, check all four companies on the date that interests you. If you get a low price on one island, it doesn't mean that the same company will be low on another island.

Nawilili Harbor on Kauai is right next to the main airport in Lihui. They will come and get you with their shuttle. Call using a cellphone before you step off the ship.

In Kona, they come from the main airport (KOA) not far away.

In Hilo, the ship docks close to the main airport.

On Maui, if the ship docks at Kahului, it is also adjacent to the airport (OGG). If your ship anchors of Lahaina instead, they will come to get you from the Kanaapali area, not far away.

Again, call them when you get there and arrange for the shuttle.

In Honolulu, you may want to specify the downtown or Waikiki office. The airport is some distance from the pier.

Archived