Decided on Chichen Izta, now have questions...

cruzzza

... and I'm also looking for tips, hints, secret stuff, etc. to make the trip even better. My DH and I are taking the Carnival shore excursion. (Didn't feel comfortable doing on my own when it's so far away.)

Here goes:

1. I know there's a shopping stop somewhere along the way. Is there a better place to shop elsewhere? Is the stop on the way to the ruins or on the way back? If it's on the way, is there a place to store what I bought?

2. What's up with the included lunch? What's served and when and where?

3. Is the ship's tour of decent quality? If not, do I have to stay with the ship's tour guide or can I (cheaply) hire someone for a private tour once inside and meet up with the rest of the group later? If I do go out on my own, can I be confident that I won't get left behind? I really don't like the idea of sticking together in a big group of people the entire time.

4. Should I bring any water or food from the ship (prepackaged food, of course)?

5. Should I take some toilet paper with me?

6. Are backpacks allowed?

7. Isn't there a video charge of some kind? What about cameras?

8. Do I need pesos or will US dollars do if I need to buy something?

I'd appreciate the answers to these questions and any other information you are willing to share.

Thanks!

Carry small denominations of US currency. Exc rate, about 10:1

There is a charge for video camera use but NOT for still cameras.

Personally I don't know about the provided lunch. I took the tour from my hotel in Merida, $42 with transportation and guide and a fantastic buffet lunch at a hacienda near the ruins. I think the ship's excursion provides a very simple bag lunch.

Taking some TP is not a bad idea. Observe the rule about putting the paper in a provided waste can, not into the toilet.

Having been to both Chichen Itza and Uxmal, I would return to Uxmal. Prettier and maybe more impressive. Just my personal opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I did contemplate Uxmal, but have wanted to go to Chichen Itza for ages, so in the end, that's what I decided.

p.s. I misspelled it in the thread title, but don't know how to change it. Anyone know how?

I haven't been to Chichen Itza since college in 1989, but I STRONGLY recommend you arrange a guide when you get there to explain all of what it really means. As you probably already know, the Mayans were a very advanced society and what they new about math, astrology (or astronomy - I never know which is which), etc... is just amazing. I was 19 and mostly interested in beer, etc... when I spent the summer on the Yucatan, but that place really amazed me. I think you can walk around on your own and probably enjoy yourself, but you won't have near the experience you would with a guide. Sorry I can't answer the majority of your other questions - it's just been too long. I would bring TP, water and food. I remember there was a restaurant and I'm sure it has changed since, but when in doubt, bring your own...

I booked the excursion online. Very easy and now it's already paid for! I decided to use Carnival because of the distance involved. Usually we do our own thing. How many cruises is this for you? There's a roll call thread for our cruise, too (warning, it's a little heated!). Have fun at Uxmal!!!

This is my third cruise, first leaving from Galveston. We live near New Orleans and usually left from that dock.

There's a roll call thread for our cruise, too (warning, it's a little heated!) What's that?

We are bringing our 10 year old with us to Uxmal. She is excited. My husband want's to do this. I want to shop....Hopefully there will be enough time to do all of them.

Hope you have a great time on the ship.....

Cruzzza

While I have not been to the ruins, it is a good ride 3 1/2 miles just to get off the pier. There are some shops at the pier near the ship. Silver and Gold Collections has prices that equal Cozumel. The lady who owns it also has the one at the Puerto Maya pier in Cozumel. There are also other shops with t-shirts and other tourist items.

US $$ are fine but bring small bills as some shop keepers will give back change in pesos. Not sure about the TP, but in Merida my wife was charged for the TP in order to use the restroom.

A pocket size raincoat came in handy for us as we had a small rainshower hit us. http://www.yucatantoday.com has a lot of excellant information about the area.

Dave

Jetskier. Yucatan Today, hard copy or the web, has to be one of the very best tourist magazines I've seen anywhere. Excellent information for a visitor's planning. Agreed? I've also had occaision to email them for some specific information and received prompt replies.

There's a roll call thread for our cruise, too (warning, it's a little heated!) What's that?

There's a section of the boards just for Roll Calls. Look under Carnival and find the Elation, then look for our sailing date. It's not really that heated. We've got a group sailing with us that made a couple of us a little uncomfortable, but for the most part, we've gotten over our concerns and are just looking forward to a wonderful cruise.

OK....Now I know what you mean by "heated" on the Roll Call thread.

We are from New Roads, LA....I see you are in Louisiana too, where from?

Hi LA Girl,

I used to live in Norwood and worked in St. Francisville at River Bend Nuclear Station. I used to go over to False River all the time to ride my jetskis and have fun. I miss being over in that area but my wife wanted to be closer to her family.

Dave

Jetskier. Yucatan Today, hard copy or the web, has to be one of the very best tourist magazines I've seen anywhere. Excellent information for a visitor's planning. Agreed? I've also had occaision to email them for some specific information and received prompt replies.

I used it alot in planning our trip from Progreso into Merida. Cant beat $2.50 roundtrip on the local bus.

Dave

Since you just got back from your trip in January 06, what ports did you visit? What did you do in Progreso?

My husband and 10 year old are thinking of Uxmal. I want to do some shopping.

How are the beaches in Cozumel if you were docked there? crowded?

Thanks..

I love New Roads and False River. Lot's of fun and good food here.

Since you just got back from your trip in January 06, what ports did you visit? What did you do in Progreso?

My husband and 10 year old are thinking of Uxmal. I want to do some shopping.

How are the beaches in Cozumel if you were docked there? crowded?

I love New Roads and False River. Lot's of fun and good food here.

LA girl,

We did Progreso and Cozumel. We did our own tour and went to Merida using the local bus system. We had two other couples join us when they overheard where we going. Everyone had a great time. On our cruise there was alot of folks who just rented a taxi for the day to go to ruins that were closer to Progresso. In Progreso where the pier bus drops you off, there are plenty of vendor stalls in the courtyard. There are several shops near the ship also. Go to yucatantoday.com and read up on Uxmal.

With the distance involved to Uxmal, you might want do a ship sponsored excursion. If you are late getting back, the ship waits for you. If you book on your own and are late, the ship will leave. It looks to be about 75 miles to the SW of Progreso. That will equate to about 1 3/4 to 2 hours one way.

Cozumel we went scuba diving. Paradise Beach is a good place if you get there early. It is about $12-14 for the taxi there. You can also do a $35pp snorkel tour via a catamaran there. The catamaran will take you to a decent spot. Most of the shallow reefs close to shore are badly damaged or destroyed.

In Cozumel, you will be tendering to shore. Get to the lounge early and make sure you have all the items that you will taking ashore. They will give you the tender sticker then. The reason they want you to stay in the lounge is that they will take you down as a group to the proper tender. Your time in Cozumel will be short. If they say you are there until 4pm, they want you back on the ship by 3:15pm.

I used to go to Satterfields for the roast beef po-boy and the curly-Qs. We would put in at the public landing and ride standup skis all the way down the lake to around the apartments on the other end and then back. We used to do a couple of laps before the day was over.

Dave

You info will be put to good use.

I've done research on Paradise Beach. My husband and daughter will be going there and I will meet them later.

I want them to get there early to avoid the crowd. I want to get some shopping done with my mother.

The info on the tender is really helpful. I want to get off the ship as soon as possible so I can have a full day.

LA Girl,

When they are having the "shopping brief" in the lounge, get there early and sit in the front row and close to the center. They will throw/give out items to the audience. I was able to snag a Del Sol t-shirt ($25) and a shot glass. Tell Cory (Super Shopper) that Dave Thomas says hello. Cory was also on the Holiday when we sailed on it earlier in the year.

The scavenger hunt is also a fun thing to do. One of the task is to find certain items, find certain information, and to get crew members signatures in just 30 minutes. I challenge you to beat our score of 112. We were able to get 91 crew member signatures. The asst CD said he has never in all his time working on board seen anyone get that many signatures. We even got some from guys painting the ship.

Enjoy yourself.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your info.

We did sit in the front row for the shopping talk. Got a Del Sol bag and my little girl got a string of pearls. It was a blast.

We didn't do Scavenger hunt. I was called up by ass. CD on the first night for the "spoon game". Got a bottle of Champagne.

We had a great time. The ship was great. Thanks again for the "tips".

Archived