A comparison of MDR, Costal Kitchen and UDP on Quantum of the Seas

Over the past year and A half I’ve been fortunate to sail QoS 3 times. Once before the pandemic and twice on cruises to nowhere (5n, 4n & 3n respectively). 

On our first sailing we ate in the MDR and did a single night at Wonderland. The 2nd cruise was a sky class suite with access to Costal Kitchen and the 3rd we did the Unlimited Dining Plan and took full advantage of the fact it was all sea days and ate in Specialty restaurants for lunch and dinner

Skipping to my final thoughts I’d take Costal Kitchen over Specialty Restaurants and was perfectly happy in the MDR.  Basically for us it comes down to menu choices. 

The CK menu changed daily allowed us to eat all 3 meals there and gave us the opportunity to get to know the waitstaff really well.  We also prefer fixed dining in MDR for this reason as well. 

In my opinion the specialty restaurants were just ok. I get that Chops is a steak house but it’s menu seemed lackluster after having eaten in CK. Jamie’s has good food but really large portions even when asking to make them smaller.  I found Izumi to be wonderful and would be fine paying a la cart  for a lunch  and we did love Wonderland even If the menu hasn’t change in 2 years. 

One reason we sailed Sky class was the price difference was small and on future sailing I’ll look for deals or try Royal Up on ships with a CK.  I found the extra perks worth the additional cost, CK, suite lounge and internet to name a few.  

After that I’d just go to the MDR as we enjoyed the menu on Quantum but also Harmony 2 years ago and like getting to know a dedicated waitstaff.  

If the UDP presented itself at a really good sale price and I was on a ship with more options I may go that route but would rather use that $$ and try for that Royal Up instead. 

Just the opinion of my tastebuds and likes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4