Playa Mia Beach on our own...need advice

OliverTheCat

Is the beach still nice post hurricane?

After we tender into pier, are there taxis readily available to take us to Playa Mia? Are there plenty of taxis to take us back to downtown pier too?

What is cost of admission to Playa Mia and how long is cab ride/fare approximation?

Never done anything outside cruiseline in Cozumel, so wanted to get some advice. Thanks!

I went to Paradise Beach in Jaunary and strolled down to Playa Mia. The beach is up and running, but in my opinon is not a nice as Paradise Beach. Paradise has free admission for the beach and the water activities are $8 for a bracelet. They request a $10 consumption fee for the bar/restaurant- which I think is very reasonable. Taxis are waiting at the pier and at the beach I think we paid $25 for a van (there were 8 of us) each way. I had read cars are like $12-15. The whole day for my family of 5- including a very nice lunch was $100.

• 2 weeks later...

My 11 year old and I were at Playa Mia on 2/4. We took a taxi straight from the pier ($20 for both) and the ride took about 20 minutes. I think we paid $18 each for admission. The lockers were open, the showers and restrooms extremely clean. I enjoyed it. The weather was cool and very choppy, so she swam and I sunbathed. All their water activities, the iceberg, etc. were closed due to wind.

They sell several admission options, so I was glad of that as the one our ship offered was a lot (due to free, open bar being part of the package)

The "zoo" was open, it consisted of some iguanas and a couple of lemurs I believe. It looked pretty run down, and I felt sorry for the animals.

To get down to the beach area, they route you past all the vendors who want you very badly, to come view their souvenirs.

They also only take cash.

I did not see anything about a replica Mayan City, but admit to being pressed for time, we didn't really go looking for it.

There were several cabs to take us back too (ride back was only $15)

Forwarned, the cabbies drove fast and the neither car had seatbelts that worked.

• 2 weeks later...

To get down to the beach area, they route you past all the vendors who want you very badly, to come view their souvenirs.

They also only take cash.

Who only takes cash? The vendors or Playa Mia? Makes a difference with what we bring to port.

Archived