Snorkeling Options?

San10s

We will be in PDC one week from Wednesday :D and have 14 people in our group who want to go snorkeling in the morning. Does anyone have any recommendations? I prefer to do this on our own instead of with the ship's tours. Thanks in advance!:D

I would suggest checking out this post for a great snorkeling trip.

Edventure tours is a private snorkle tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=277531

If they are booked which they may be cause these boards have really boosted their business, you could always rent a van yourselves and make your way down to Akumal. Great snorkeling with sea turtles and the lagoon is fantastic. I believe the admission is 7.00$

Here is what you should do:

Rent a car or two ($35).

Drive to Dos Ojos cenote (20 miles south of Playa del Carmen on highway 307- easy driving) and pay $8 per person to go snorkeling in the cenote. It's stunning- you must do this- it's a crystal clear freshwater cave. Rent an underwater flashlight at the entrance.

Then drive back north to Akumal bay and have lunch at Lol Ha restaurant(right on the beach). After lunch, drive 1/2 mile north of Akumal (on the beach road) to go snorkeling at Yal-ku lagoon ($7 admission). Google up both of these locations for more details- a guaranteed great day.

You can read about Dos Ojos, Akumal, and Yal-ku in my very long trip report: www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/9227-paradise-found-trip-report-august-10-24-2004-a-3.html

There are a few turtles in Akumal bay, which I have snorkeled a few times- but you have to get lucky to see them. I only went to Yal-Ku once and did not see turtles- but it is an excellent snorkel.

An interesting (but expensive - $50 pp) option might be Xcaret eco park. They have a large turtle pond where you can observe huge turtles. Additionally, we spent over an hour and a half in the snorkeling lagoon. It wouldn’t be anything special, except this is also where they do the Sea Trek (people walk underwater wearing special helmets with air hoses). They feed the fish here (makes for good pictures that they sell), so there are hundreds of them. There were also two turtles (not penned in, they come into the lagoon for the free food). While snorkeling, we could dive down and touch the turtles.

Here is what you should do:

Rent a car or two ($35).

Drive to Dos Ojos cenote (20 miles south of Playa del Carmen on highway 307- easy driving) and pay $8 per person to go snorkeling in the cenote. It's stunning- you must do this- it's a crystal clear freshwater cave. Rent an underwater flashlight at the entrance.

Then drive back north to Akumal bay and have lunch at Lol Ha restaurant(right on the beach). After lunch, drive 1/2 mile north of Akumal (on the beach road) to go snorkeling at Yal-ku lagoon ($7 admission). Google up both of these locations for more details- a guaranteed great day.

You can read about Dos Ojos, Akumal, and Yal-ku in my very long trip report: www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/9227-paradise-found-trip-report-august-10-24-2004-a-3.html

Do you need to have your own snorkeling equipment to do this? Or is it included in admission?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived