Which Class?

kirstys

Glad Celebrity (abbreviation used is X) has been recommended to you. Now your research starts. Go to Celebrity.com and click "Planning Your Trip" then scroll down to "ships." You will see that there are 3 classes, Horizon, Century (C class) and Millenium (M class), named for the first ship of several of the same design.

Although the wording is flowery, if read carefully you will differentiate that each succeeding class after Horizon has more amenities than the last. Even so, X is bringing the C class up toward the standards of the M class such as adding specialty restaurants, balconies etc. If you will look at deck plans of each class you will see the differences.

For instance, Horizon class (which contains only Zenith now that Horizon has been sold and is no longer in X's fleet) has no balconies,even in suites, no atrium, no specialty restaurant, no Thalossotherapy pool, yet even their lowest class cabin is a standard 172 sq ft minimum size.

C class are larger ships, do have a central open area that connects the lobby with the level above, and do contain balconies in suites, and do have a T pool (for a fee unless you are in a suite). Read about the refurbishment that will transpire this spring on Century where 314 balconies are being added etc.

M class are larger yet, but still not the humongous ships where you could get lost! They contain balconies in their own category, not just suites, have a 3 story central area, larger T pool with Aqua Spa cafe that specializes in healthier food all day until 8 p.m.

When I was planning my first cruise I decided I did not want to be on a ship that held more passengers than my college did! ha

One of the nicest aspects of Celebrity ships is their passenger to crew ratio and their square footage per passenger, both of which are high. Therefore service is excellent and one rarely feels hemmed in or crowded.

Keep reading these boards! Where will you be sailing?

One small error in the otherwise very informative post above is that both Galaxy and Mercury ( C-class) do have verandah cabins which are not suites, two decks (9 and 10) of them.

You'll like Celebrity, all of the ships are comfortable, depending on what your "style" happens to be, you'll find a favorite.

I'd personally make my first Celebrity cruise based on the itinerary, where do you want to go and for how long?

There are several ways to go about this:

1. book an M- Class Cruise and see how you like it. It's the most popular and highest rated 'class of ships on X.

2. Go out and buy Stern's Cruise Guide and read more about each ship.

Generally, you should not let the size of the ship scare you. None othe X ships will make you feel lost.

The Aqua Spa Cafe is a huge plus for me as I think the food is better than the dinning room and we will eat there 10+ times on a 7 day cruise.

Everyone has their favorites...because everyone has different criteria in what they want in a ship...

I, personally, love the M-Class...they're incredibly roomy, the cabins are wonderful...and they're the newer bunch of ships...

My parents, OTOH, loved the Constellation but didn't like the size...they're getting pretty much on in years (82 and 79) and don't walk that well anymore...

Unlike some cruise lines' larger ships, they really don't have that "too many people" feel since they only sail with about 2,000 (Hey, my college had 30,000+ students--I haven't seen a ship THAT large yet :) ) in about 91,000 gross tons of space...As a comparison, I'm going on the RCCL Monarch of the seas in a couple of months and that one jams 2,600 on a 73,000 gross ton ship...

Think of it as three different "models" of similar product--like three different models of homes in a housing tract--

Anyway, whichever X ship you choose, you'll get great food and service and a great cruise experience on any of them...

Good luck...

Archived