Handheld Clothes Steamer

They are safe for most fabrics, just make sure you don't get too close and touch any of the clothes, I did scorch a blouse once. You might want to test the fabric, just in case.

I don't bother to pack our steamer any more. I find that packing in dry cleaner bags keeps the wrinkles away. I also pack the formal stuff in a garment bag, your clothing isn't so squished in one as can be in a suitcase.

For longer gowns, I learned this trick here. Hang the gown, covering the top with a dry cleaner bag. Then, take another hanger, the kind the cleaner uses with pants (sticky cardboard bar), hanging the lower portion of the dress over it, cover that part with it's own bag. I think it's Jane110's tip, but it has been so long, I can't recall. Anyway, this has worked well for me.

It did take me a couple of trips to give up the steamer, I didn't completely trust the above method at first. But, if the clothing is well pressed before packing, and packed very carefully, you will have no wrinkles at all.

Archived