Noise next to elevator?

jacank

Hi Everyone !

When we are near elevators, we typically have had no problems at all. Of course, much of that has to do with how considerate the folks are, who are getting off the elevators.

I would not hesitate to book near an elevator.

We've been near elevators on several different ships. You may hear an occasional loud group of people, but that is the exceptation, not the rule.

Only once did we regret being close to an elevator bank. On Golden Princess' transAtlantic, 8-02, in a very heavy Atlantic storm, we could hear the elevator cars banging about in the forward elevator shaft, during extreme pitching motion.

With the ship's creaking and shuddering, bow slamming down, shattering of windows along Prom Deck, and breakage of goods in the shops, we had a rather exciting voyage!

Travel can be an adventure.

Hi there,

I asked the same question before our first cruise. We booked a Gty and I figured we got that assignment because no one wanted cabins near the elevators. Now are almost at number 6 and we have booked all but one in the same general area.

I had the same concerns before the last Connie cruise. I ended up booking 7171, first room from the elevator. Didnt hear a thing. If people are talking in the halls loudly, you're going to hear them pass, but there was never a problem on our sailing from people waiting for the elevator talking loudly. Also did not hear any of the dings from the elevator.

We booked a Gty and I figured we got that assignment because no one wanted cabins near the elevators.

This brings up a something I have often wondered about. Does this type of question usually come from those who book GTY? There is a similar question regarding engine noise at the back of the ship (Zenith)., And often there are questions/concerns from people who are worried about noise from above (from pool deck, or restaraunt area).

Now, I realize that the GTY prices are hard to ignore, but some of the wisest recommendations I've seen on here focus on selecting the specific cabin that you really want, therefore eliminating the need to fret over this kind of thing.

Just a thought.

I have never had a problem with a cabin by the elevators. However, in January, we sailed the Infinity and our cabin was across from the butlers pantry and it was very loud.

The location was not shown on the deck plans and I had no idea that we were going to be across from the pantry. When I talked with the butler about the noise, they did shut the door to the pantry but it was still loud.

Just back from the Infinity Cabin 7173 right across from the elevator and absolutely no noise heard inside the cabin from the elevators or pax. However, you could hear all the hallway noise when you were in the bathroom.

Go figure.

We were in 8036 on the Infinity and (doh!) it was beside the elevators. We did have a couple of problems - very loud goodbye's, youths congregating on the stairs and larking around generally. We had a big gap under the door to the cabin which let in a lot of light at night but a spare blanket soon cured that as well as some of the inevitable noise. I agree that the bathroom seemed to get more noise than the cabin itself but then again noise travels both ways!!

I will try and avoid the elevator areas in future as well as the pantry areas.

Archived