lobster and dinner question

hortige

My husband and son wore docker type pants, a dress shirt and tie to both formal nights and they both looked very nice! My son didn't have a jacket, and (because he was 11 and would never have worn it again) I didn't want to waste the money. My husband had a jacket and didn't wear it because it was too warm! (Mexico in July!)

Can you believe it? Neither one of them was thrown out of the dining room! :D

Go - have fun - eat your lobster! (Just don't wear jeans!!!) ;)

Going on the celebration next month...first cruise.

We were not planning on going to the formal dinner, hubby only owns

khakis and no jacket and since my DD (even though shes 2) I can't fit in any of my dressy things anymore. Are khakis even allowed this night?

Is the formal night the only night you can get lobster, DH is really looking forward to lobster and so am I.

Also, what restaurants/areas are pay to eat, with so much 'free' food on board I don't think I will want to 'pay' to eat no matter how good it is, but don't want to go there and order thinking it is free.

There are lots of very nice Suits or just a Sports Jacket at the Salvation army and also at the Good Will, look for one online near you. Those items there are in great condition and only cost like 5.00 each.

Dont miss any of the Dinner nights in the Dinning room, you will have a great time. By the way, make sure your Husband orders 3 lobsters :)

Im making an assumption here that you are suggesting they might want to consider Goodwill for clothes to get it cheaper than in a store because they may not be able to afford new clothes.

I too gave them the suggestion to head to the Goodwill and Salvation Army. Maybe he doesnt want to spend hard earn money for a Suit or a Sport Jacket that he will only use once in his life time.

I have found Suits and Sport Jackets at those stores mentioned that are worth 700.00, 1200.00. at a cost of a few dollars, you just never know unless you go and look. One last thing, I was wearing my Dads cloths that he wore when he was a teen, when I was a Teen, what 30 years later. Fashion always comes back around.

Here's what we did: We never have an opportunity to dress. My husband did not own a suit (or jacket that fit). I change sizes so fast, neither did I. Neither of us is willing to spend big bucks on clothes we may only wear once.

We went to the Habitat for Humanity Thrift store. Wow..it was so much fun. He found 2 nice blazers $5.each, wore one with dark slacks/tie. (The ties we found at a yard sale) :D I found a velvet floor length skirt. We each dressed it up a bit from items in our closets & were not under dressed.

If I don't mind saying, we looked darn nice. :D Looked so darn nice, he spent $350. on ship photos!!:eek: Didn't spend a fortune on the clothes though:D It was perfect, had a great time. My guy is a shorts & t-shirt type of guy. He had a ball & we are going again in Sept. Who would have guessed:confused:

Don't worry about the cloths to much....have fun.

Thanks for all the answers, actually I love thrift stores, but the main issue on this one is that I can't get him to buy a dark colored pair of slacks and he wanted to be laid back (but the suggestions did remind me that maybe I could look around for a nicer dress there) because I told him last night

no formal night no lobster;) case in short we are going to formal nigh:D

even though he will not be in 'darks' he said he could take a tie and a button down dress shirt for the night.

I just love this board, would have missed the lobster and the formal night if it weren't for it.

Sorry did not mean to offend anyone. You see our Goodwill Colorado Springs is jsut like a regular department store. You see all social classes there. DId not mean to infere anything about. Just if they want a one time garment it might be a place to go. Gone from here......

I just got off the Celebration yesterday. Don't miss formal night! You can dress up or not, khakis will be fine. The lobster was wonderful. It is a special time and a great memory of the cruise. Eating the buffet on the Lido deck may replace many of the dinners, but it can't replace formal night. Plus that is the Captain's cocktail party night, so you get free drinks before dinner. Go, have fun, and don't worry.

I just got off the Celebration yesterday. Don't miss formal night! You can dress up or not, khakis will be fine. The lobster was wonderful. It is a special time and a great memory of the cruise. Eating the buffet on the Lido deck may replace many of the dinners, but it can't replace formal night. Plus that is the Captain's cocktail party night, so you get free drinks before dinner. Go, have fun, and don't worry.

I am going on a 4 night on the Celebration in 4wks. How long was your cruise for and what were your port stops?

If it makes you feel any better, my husband won't be wearing a suit. He has one, but when you try to pack for Alaska, there just isn't room in your bags for a suit. We will be gone for 2 weeks, there is a limit to bags, we each want our cameras, binoculars, rain gear, heavy coats, etc. We were told by our Carnival TA that we could just dress like we would to go to a wedding. He will wear a shirt and tie, and maybe put on a sweater vest. I will just wear a Sunday dress.

I think it is not about the money for the clothes, but the fact that cruising is all-inclusive. We have all paid for this special dinner and we should all get to enjoy it. Personally, I think that as so many people today are more casual, Carnival should have another area that serves all the exact menu choices that the dining room has, just in a "dress as you like" atmosphere. Then everybody can be happy, and Carnival will be named the most popular cruise line!

Hi!

I have been on the Celebration twice in the past 4 months. I say don't sweat the suit. My 20 something sons each wore khaki slacks with white shirts and ties. No jackets. The Celebration is very informal and I only saw a few people in Tux's. Most had jackets/slacks with and without ties. I wore a simple black dress. Don't miss your formal dinner because of his pants. Some people don't like the lobster; my family loves it. The Celebration is small, but one of my favorites. you will have a great time. And the beds....they are the best. The down comforters are wonderful. Have a great cruise!

-Sharon

We just got off Celebration yesterday. My 16 y/o son wore khakis, shirt, & tie to formal night. I wore khakis, shirt, tie, & navy blue sport jacket. Picked that jacket up at the local Goodwill for $10. Looks like a brand new Pierre Cardin. Spent $4 on dry cleaning after the purchase and it's been on two cruises with me already. BTW, the other nights we wore "nice" jeans and golf shirts. Believe me, we were no-wheres near being under-dressed!

I was just going to suggest that your local Salvation Army or Goodwill has great selections of men's sport coats for $5 to $10. To me it would be worth it to look good eating that 5th lobster tail. Heck after the cruise throw it in the trash can at terminal. Add to it you will look so dressy for that formal photo of the two of you. PS: They also have nice dresses for the ladies for less than $20. Who would know that's where you got them? You are on a ship with 2000+/- total strangers that if you do get to know them will part company in a few days. The Celebration does not have alternate surcharge dining. Only the Lido buffet at night and room service.

I have the same issue with my boyfriend not wanting to dress up or be uncomfortable on his vacation. In reading this board, I kind of got the impression that the shorter cruises, like the Celebration (I am going on it too at the end of March!) are a tad bit more casual. So I made a "meet me in the middle" kind of deal with my boyfriend that if I managed to get him some comfy khaki's, then he would wear a shirt and tie. Found some great flat front khakis at Old navy that he likes. The only bummer is that I picked out a GORGEOUS dress to buy but now I think I will look overdressed next to him, so I may have to look for a different dress....which is a bit of a bummer... but not really, because let's face it.... I am going on a super relaxing vacation in just 6 weeks!!! YAY!:D

I doubt they will turn your husband away for wearing khakis, though he will probably feel underdressed. Personally, I'd think that a shirt and tie with khakis is reasonable alternative, as most men will probably be wearing jackets or suits, not tuxes.

quote]

I have been on a bunch of cruises and there are plenty of tuxes. this includes Carnival Ships

Looks like all you need is to get him a simple sport coat. Why bother with another dress when you have found the one you like. If you pick out the color so it goes with your fancy dress you will both look so nice in that formal photo that night. Besides sounds like the last time you may get him dressed up in a sport coat for such photo.

I have the same issue with my boyfriend not wanting to dress up or be uncomfortable on his vacation. In reading this board, I kind of got the impression that the shorter cruises, like the Celebration (I am going on it too at the end of March!) are a tad bit more casual. So I made a "meet me in the middle" kind of deal with my boyfriend that if I managed to get him some comfy khaki's, then he would wear a shirt and tie. Found some great flat front khakis at Old navy that he likes. The only bummer is that I picked out a GORGEOUS dress to buy but now I think I will look overdressed next to him, so I may have to look for a different dress....which is a bit of a bummer... but not really, because let's face it.... I am going on a super relaxing vacation in just 6 weeks!!! YAY!:D

Boyfriends come and go, formal pictures in that perfect dress... last forever :D Wear your gorgeous dress... have a solo picture taken, they make great gifts for family at the holidays :D Seriously, wear your dress!! You don't have to dress down simply because your boyfriend wants to ;)

Looks like all you need is to get him a simple sport coat. Why bother with another dress when you have found the one you like. If you pick out the color so it goes with your fancy dress you will both look so nice in that formal photo that night. Besides sounds like the last time you may get him dressed up in a sport coat for such photo.

Well hopefully, if BF ever intends to become DH, he'll try to start small with a sport coat, so he can work his way into a tux :D

This sounds terrible but sooner or later, your DH will probably have to attend a funeral and buying an inexpensive dark sportcoat might be worth the money.

I say this as someone who once "borrowed" a sport coat for a funeral -- but not intentionally. When my mother in law died years ago, her husband (AKA Pops) had nothing to wear. So my then new DH and I went to a discount store and paid about $35 for a dark blue sport coat for Pops.

It tore under the sleeve at the funeral, so we took it back. They offered us a refund! So they essentially lent us a sportcoat for the funeral.

Archived