Formal Night

HarleyGirl

While formal night may not be for everyone....I love to dress up for formal nights on the ship. One, it gives me an excuse before we leave for our cruise to shop for a new dress(es) to take with me. Two, I enjoy seeing my DH (C Dad) all dressed up (sexy). Three, every cruise we get our picture taken on one of the formal nights to add to our collection of "us" photos. We would never get that formal of a picture done at any other time.

Many. I just hate for people to think they are bannished to the Lido, only to find out differently once they are on the ship. Of course, if they want to eat at the Lido or Pizza or... that is fine also.

again they aren't banished.... they can wear jeans.. but as in the other thread it is being discussed whether or not people feel it is proper.. you happen to be in the minority when it comes to jeans in the main dining room.. especially on formal night.

again they aren't banished.... they can wear jeans.. but as in the other thread it is being discussed whether or not people feel it is proper.. you happen to be in the minority when it comes to jeans in the main dining room.. especially on formal night.

Again, it is a matter of opinion, and I don't think so. While most people do not wear jeans on formal nights, it happens. I think most people don't care. Just seems to be a rather vocal minority that objects.

Again, it is a matter of opinion, and I don't think so. While most people do not wear jeans on formal nights, it happens. I think most people don't care. Just seems to be a rather vocal minority that objects.

it happens because people are either ignorant to the guidelines or they don't care about the guidelines or those of the passengers around them trying to portray an evening of glamor.

It's Not Just About Comfort...It's About Respect

I want to chime in on this subject, because in all my reading on the board, I've never seen anyone express my thoughts about dressing for formal nights.

I've heard many mention "comfort" as a reason for wearing jeans, or just a sundress. I've heard others object to that same attire because it just doesn't follow the rules or expectations. Some are even somewhat sarcastic and ask, "Do my jeans really ruin your vacation?" Of course, the answer should be no. But I want to ask everyone: what about respect?

Dressing up on a formal night can be a way of showing respect for both yourself and everyone else you are dining with. It can be a way of saying, not just with words but with action: I care about you AND me. I think beyond my own needs. I care enough to make this evening special by going the extra mile to create an atmosphere of celebration and style that occurs rarely in modern life. I respect you enough, stranger and family member alike, to take the time to look my best, be thoughful, and show you that sometimes certain nights should be special enough to create memories on unique levels.

I harken back to the early 80s when I graduated from High School in San Diego. Back then, Disneyland had a late night party for HS seniors called grad night (maybe it still happens). Any senior that wanted to come to Disneyland had to dress in business attire. That meant dresses or pants suits for the women and sportcoat and tie for the men. At the time, I heard they required this kind of attire to cut down on fights between hormone rich boys. But I think it was more than that.

I believe most people behave differently when they dress up. They are more likely to slow down, be curteous and respectful in their manner. We are worth it, aren't we?

So when people show up in jeans, they don't ruin my vacation. But in a small way I think they are telling me "You aren't worth it. This is just another night out for me and I care only about my comfort. I don't want to expend the extra energy to make this night unique for all of us. I only care about me."

There are so many different ways to vacation. Must crusing sink to the lowest common denominator. Must it become no more special than a night at Hooters? I want my fellow travelers to know I still care about some old traditions, and I care about the people I am with - I care enough to do something special like dressing up on formal nights, and even taking an extra step on the smart and casual night. I'll leave my jeans at home, waiting for the next time I go out to the neighborhood pub. There is a time and a place for everything. Beside, I feel very comforable in my best black suit with a beautiful chic silver tie, cuff links. and polished shoes. In fact....honestly.... I am HOT BABY!!! Come on, join me lets all be hot and sexy together!

Just another opinion.

Wearing jeans or any inappropriate attire will most likely NOT get you banned from the dining room. It just shows that you have no clue how to conduct yourself in society. When a host "suggests" a certain dress it means that any other attire is in poor taste. But some on this board are missing the gene [not jean] that allows them to understand this.

The Lido buffet is there for those that do not wish to participate in formal nites. There is no good place for those who cannot understand [or won't].

For the jeans wearers, if you must champion some cause, why not find one that is worthwhile.

Dan

Just another opinion.

Don that was classic.. especially "

(quote)

So when people show up in jeans, they don't ruin my vacation. But in a small way I think they are telling me "You aren't worth it. This is just another night out for me and I care only about my comfort. I don't want to expend the extra energy to make this night unique for all of us. I only care about me."(quote)

I don't think it could have been said better.

Because it is an excellent opinion.

The "Ugly American" agrees with you, Big Duck!!! and I think it was an excellent post that you put here (above)

OCD-- I found this one... now i'll check out the jeans thread too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaTeacher

It's Not Just About Comfort...It's About Respect

I want to chime in on this subject, because in all my reading on the board, I've never seen anyone express my thoughts about dressing for formal nights.

I've heard many mention "comfort" as a reason for wearing jeans, or just a sundress. I've heard others object to that same attire because it just doesn't follow the rules or expectations. Some are even somewhat sarcastic and ask, "Do my jeans really ruin your vacation?" Of course, the answer should be no. But I want to ask everyone: what about respect?

Dressing up on a formal night can be a way of showing respect for both yourself and everyone else you are dining with. It can be a way of saying, not just with words but with action: I care about you AND me. I think beyond my own needs. I care enough to make this evening special by going the extra mile to create an atmosphere of celebration and style that occurs rarely in modern life. I respect you enough, stranger and family member alike, to take the time to look my best, be thoughful, and show you that sometimes certain nights should be special enough to create memories on unique levels.

I harken back to the early 80s when I graduated from High School in San Diego. Back then, Disneyland had a late night party for HS seniors called grad night (maybe it still happens). Any senior that wanted to come to Disneyland had to dress in business attire. That meant dresses or pants suits for the women and sportcoat and tie for the men. At the time, I heard they required this kind of attire to cut down on fights between hormone rich boys. But I think it was more than that.

I believe most people behave differently when they dress up. They are more likely to slow down, be curteous and respectful in their manner. We are worth it, aren't we?

So when people show up in jeans, they don't ruin my vacation. But in a small way I think they are telling me "You aren't worth it. This is just another night out for me and I care only about my comfort. I don't want to expend the extra energy to make this night unique for all of us. I only care about me."

There are so many different ways to vacation. Must crusing sink to the lowest common denominator. Must it become no more special than a night at Hooters? I want my fellow travelers to know I still care about some old traditions, and I care about the people I am with - I care enough to do something special like dressing up on formal nights, and even taking an extra step on the smart and casual night. I'll leave my jeans at home, waiting for the next time I go out to the neighborhood pub. There is a time and a place for everything. Beside, I feel very comforable in my best black suit with a beautiful chic silver tie, cuff links. and polished shoes. In fact....honestly.... I am HOT BABY!!! Come on, join me lets all be hot and sexy together!

Just another opinion.

LOL bah humbug! you talk about respect? What about respecting the fact that i dont want to wear a formal to create a better scenerio for you........lol I don't mind dressing for dinner and we always do. but this is rediculous. some people get to carried away with this dressing crap..........lol I say live and let live. My lobster will still taste the same :)

Ok now.... FLAME ME I KNOW YOU WANT TO...............lol

I would not consider jeans for the dining room on any night of the cruise...nor would I let my kids wear them.....it is all a part of cruising...if you don't want to dress then eat on the lido deck...and no it's not ruining my vacation if you wear your jeans but I expect my kids to follow the "rules" no matter where they are.... how am I teaching them that if I don't follow them..... I don't think wearing a pair of Khakis for 2 hours is to much to ask

I just love these formal flame wars! First off Carnival has lowered their suggestions for dress on formal night so low calling it "Formal" anymore is a joke in itself. A sport coat and tie is formal? By who's standards? Only on Carnival. This means men could show up in their best Rodney Dangerfield outfit(think Caddyshack Country Club) and pass with a gold star! Women have such a wide aray of clothing to wear they really have no guidelines to follow. So bottom line, wear your best casual wear and men throw any old jacket on over it and ladies throw a black wrap around you and go on in and enjoy the food you really can't get elsewhere. There are many misconsceptions about the word formal and people get uptight about it but on Carnival they have loosened the noose so loose who cares! I had a guy tell me after the first formal night he didn't go because he wasn't dressing up in a monkey suit to eat dinner anywhere. After I told him monkey suits were optional I told him I had 2 shrimp cocktails with huge jumbo shrimp, 6 escargo that melted in my mouth, and all the lobster tails and rare prime rib I could hold at one sitting and he somehow found a jacket and was at the next formal night. Until Carnival decides it is in their best interest to enforce their dress code(as lax as it is) then no one should be turned away if you just use common sense. Shorts are a no no though! My statements concerning dress code does not apply to other lines. On some lines they do closely follow their dress codes and will ask you to dine elsewhere for the evening. But on Carnival it's FUN,FUN,FUN !

it happens because people are either ignorant to the guidelines or they don't care about the guidelines or those of the passengers around them trying to portray an evening of glamor.

Which guidelines are those? There are at least 3 and none of them agree.

Some people want to live a fantasy, fine. But to expect me to play a role in their fantasy is just plain whacked.

SeaTeacher provides the BEST answer to the Formal Dress Dilemma! icon1.gifIt's Not Just About Comfort...It's About Respect

Carrie

hosttink@cruisecritic.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2006;10;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2006 Surfin Stiletto's Cruise Critic Host Cruise!!

This crap is from the Princess board and was best left there.

gfsmith says:"....the fact that i dont want to wear a formal to create a better scenerio for you........lol I don't mind dressing for dinner and we always do." Have you considered it's a fact they don't ask you to wear formal wear on formal night? All they ask is you wear a coat and tie. How can you call that getting "formal"? It's about as far away from the definition of formal as you can get and the cruise lines(pretty much all of them) have lowered the standards so low to try and apease such lazy disrepectful people such as yourself. You make it sound like they are forceing you to wear a tux!

........to try and apease such lazy disrepectful people such as yourself. You make it sound like they are forceing you to wear a tux!
You bemoan a "lack of respect" and then call a CC member lazy and disrespectful? You have no right to judge this person in such a manner, especially after they stated that "I don't mind dressing for dinner and we always do."

Perhaps if you focused more on the manners/personalities that fellow diners exhibit you would be less concerned about their wardrobe.

One thing I've gleaned from these threads is I'd rather have a polite person who is "dressed down" (by your standards) at my table than someone who is judging others by the way they dress.

John

• 3 weeks later...
We tend to skip formal night. To us, the idea of having to lug formal wear on the cruise & fuss in a confined space to get it and us ready for dinner is far more bother than it's worth, especially since the menu selections are never anything to die for. We can conveniently dress up & have a nice dinner any day we want here at home, so we choose not to complicate our vacation with this.

I know there are many who really enjoy it for whatever their reasons may be, but the highlights of our trips usually involve the places we visit and the people we meet...formal night ranks very low on the list. We typically use formal night as an opportunity to try a new restaurant (if we are in port), have a private picnic in our suite/balcony, or check out the buffet/alternative dining options on board.

We just don't find it that big a deal I guess. Just my opinion...I know I'm in the minority.

For our upcoming 8th cruise, DH and I have decided to go this route for the very same reasons. I told him if I really miss it, then we'll go back to lugging extra stuff for the next cruise. Based on past experiences, I know there will be plenty of others (while not at all a majority) that don't have on formal attire. We WILL NOT attempt to eat in the dining room on formal night, however.

While formal night may not be for everyone....I love to dress up for formal nights on the ship. One, it gives me an excuse before we leave for our cruise to shop for a new dress(es) to take with me. ...

Lucky you -- to be able to find good dresses! I've been looking for even a just semi-formal dress for the other nights and haven't found anything around here I can stand. I do have a couple nice dresses, but certainly not floor-length.

We will probably wind up skipping formal night too. My DH is a big guy and has no need of suits (much less tuxes) in normal life -- no, he may not even have a jacket that fits him anymore (he last wore it in 1995 at his sister's wedding, and is a little bigger now). So he doesn't have much that would be nicer than what he will wear the rest of the nights. Plus we have a 7 year old and a 2 year old. I don't even know what we will put them in the rest of the nights (no shorts and jeans, right? hah, like a two year old has much this time of year other than either heavy cords or sweat bottoms! 7 year old too, for that matter -- I guess they will wear a lot of clothes over again). I got the impression on formal nights they might have something going in Camp Carnival, but between not being sure and not having something for DH to wear, I guess we'll do the buffet those nights.

cjbg

Archived