San Francisco

JamesFic

If you have a map of S.F., the pier heads in to Coit Tower - a hill and several blocks away. It is next to Pier 39, with lots of shops, and not too far from Fisherman's Wharf. It is to the west of the Ferry Building and Oakland-S.F. Bay Bridge. Maybe more info than you want? Nancy

Hey Devin, I don't think I've seen you on our roll call yet - come on and join us! :D There's around 50 people or so right now:

Infinity April 2, 2006 Panama Canal Roll Call

On another note, if there are 2 or more ships in San Francisco they will put one over by the Bay Bridge. There's only 1 ship in port when the OP is embarking on 5/20, but on 4/17 when our ship gets to San Francisco the Seven Seas Mariner will be coming in as well. Infinity leaves again around 8PM and the Seven Seas Mariner doesn't get in until 6PM (and leaves the next day,) so we'll see where the ships end up! :)

Someting I never noticed but it seems there are 2 sites for the Port of San Francisco. :eek:

I've always used the "Cruise Information" link from the url that CaliforniaDreamin mentioned previously, but I was just poking around and found another one at:

Port of San Francisco Passenger Cruises

Here's the one that the other page links to:

SAN FRANCISCO PASSENGER TERMINAL SCHEDULE

The main difference between the 2 is that the first one shows the actual berth the ship will be at - the other one never seems to. :D Of course that's only important if there's more than one ship in port because if not you'll be at Pier 35 for sure.

I bet you've heard this but I'll say it again- debarkation in SF can be crazy, especially if the ship is delayed coming in. The congestion of traffic in the area can be nightmare-ish. We've experienced it for both embarkation and debarkation. If you are arranging for a ride (friend, limo, etc) ask them to pick you up -across the street from pier 35. They will be headed the opposite direction of the traffic and it will save a huge amount of time. You have to get across the street with your luggage but it helps!

You can also find out what other ships are in port using cruise calendar:

http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/default.asp

K

:) Good morning,

Pier 35 has room for 2 ships. The dock area itself will house 2 ships.the Terminal is, imo, one of the least attractive I've seen. A huge cavernous old warehouse re-painted....The street fronts the terminal and,yes, kind of hard to move people AWAY once they're out of the terminal.

The area, however, is ideal; next to Pier 39, an attractive touristy area, and a very short distance from Fisherman'sWharf, a major tourist attraction in SFO.

We're getting off Infinity 17thApril ourselves....and will simply grab a cab and get over to the Sheraton Fisherman's Four Points, 4 blocks away and our home for the next three days. We're simply listing ourselves as '' independant-no flight arrangement -last off'' and will avoid the hords of humanity trying to get off at 9.00-ish.

Our last time there, there were 3 ships, two side by side in the berth area, the 3td one over to the East close to the bridge.

Cheers

CG

;)

Pier 35 is in a great location for port calls, being within walking distance of Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry Building, and Cable Cars to Union Square, Nob Hill and the Financial District.

That said, it can be hectic at disembarkation. Meeting your ride across the street is a real good idea. My understanding is that the City plans to either renovate or build a new port terminal facility. I hope they do, as this would be a wonderful city start or end a cruise from.

Just the thought of a week in San Francisco prior to a cruise makes me want to pack. Of course, I guess I'd have to book a cruise first.:D

Susan

hello,

There are plans to build a cruise terminal complex close to the baseball stadium in San Francisco. This is an excellent location because there is freeway access to the airport, public transportation access, and short taxi rides to hotels to fit all budgets, restaurants within walking distance, and walking distance to the Ferry building.

However, I do not know the approximate dates when the complex will be completed.

Fred

I am on the Infinity that ends in SF on April 17th. Do we get to see the Golden Gate Bridge when coming into port? How far is the cruise terminal from San Francisco airport.

Thanks.

CF--

Good News...you will actually sail under the Golden Gate bridge upon our arrival into San Francisco! You may want to get up early though; although our arrival time is listed as 8am oftentimes ships will arrive a few hours earlier into their final port of call. As we cruise into San Francisco Bay the city of San Francisco will be on the starboard side of the ship. As for the distance from the Port of San Francisco to SFO its about 13 miles but Id allow for Monday morning traffic.

Devin

Devin,

Thanks for the information. We will get up very early that morning to be sure and see the Golden Gate bridge. Our cabin is on the port side though so I guess we won't get to see the city but we are really looking forward to the bridge.

Our flight is at 12:45pm and I am assuming that there are alot of taxi's there so I don't need to make advance reservations to get to the airport. If you hear of a place please let me know though.

Thanks

Jean

hello,

I suggest that you consider using Super Shuttle to go from the pier to the San Francisco airport as Super Shuttle may be much cheaper.

Also, when the ship approaches the Golden Gate Bridge you and your husband (or whomever) should be outside on the highest deck in the front of the ship. From this vantage point with a panoramic view, you can experience of the most thrilling aspects of cruise travel, sailing into the San Francisco Bay. On the port side will be the golden hills of Marin County, and on the starboard side will be Fort Point (the oldest fort west of the Mississippi River) and the spectacular beauty of San Francisco. And there might be fog and it is going to be chilly but you will really miss something special if you aren't out there.

Hope that you have a wonderful cruise,

Fred

Sailing out of S.F. is truely a POSH experience if you want to view the city from your cabin, othewise you see Marin County and Alcatraz. Good advise about getting up early or finding out exactly when they will sail under the GGB. Last time on the Mercury it was aroung 6am.

Sailing out of S.F. is truely a POSH experience if you want to view the city from your cabin, othewise you see Marin County and Alcatraz. Good advise about getting up early or finding out exactly when they will sail under the GGB. Last time on the Mercury it was aroung 6am.

Great point and use of POSH! Port Out, Starboard Home!

Devin

Archived