New Waves- Grand Cayman

CruisinCoach

I will be on the Caribbean Princess in July and am looking forward to diving in Grand Cayman. Living in So Cal, I mainly get to dive the Channel Islands. It will be nice not having to get all rubbered up (wetsuit, hood, booties, gloves, etc). I have looked for info on the New Wave dive excursions on Princess, but can't seem to find answers to the following questions:

1) does anybody have any positive/negative feedback on either the west or north wall dives?

2) do they pick you up alongside the boat or do you have to tender in to the pier first?

3) is the excursion as soon as the ship arrives in port? in other words, is there any time left to explore town?

Thanks

I will be on the Caribbean Princess in July and am looking forward to diving in Grand Cayman. Living in So Cal, I mainly get to dive the Channel Islands. It will be nice not having to get all rubbered up (wetsuit, hood, booties, gloves, etc). I have looked for info on the New Wave dive excursions on Princess, but can't seem to find answers to the following questions:
I'll have a try at answering your questions. Here goes.

1) does anybody have any positive/negative feedback on either the west or north wall dives?
The North wall is a premier dive area, but it is considered "advanced" and is very weather dependent. North winds often make the North wall undivable. The West side is the go to dive area. The island provides shelter for this side, so it is more dive-able year around.

2) do they pick you up alongside the boat or do you have to tender in to the pier first?
You have to tender ashore for all excursions. It doesn't take very long.

3) is the excursion as soon as the ship arrives in port? in other words, is there any time left to explore town?

Thanks

The dive trip should be soon after arrival, so you should have plenty of time after the dive for exploring Georgetown.

You should also consider not going with the ship's dive excursion. I recommend http://www.neptunesdivers.com There are a number of reason for going with the ship's excursion, just as there are a number of reasons for going with a private operator. I wrote a shore essay discussing the Pro's and Con's of diving with the ship's excursion if you are interested in reading it.

Archived