Italy in August?

kronbel

The business community of Italy pretty much shuts down during the last two weeks of August. The first two weeks are "We must prepare to shut down" mode.

That, however, is fairly irrelevant as to where you will be traveling. All of the museums, shops, tourist areas, etc. are pretty much in full operation. In fact, some of those areas will be extraordinarily busy with tourists from the US, the rest of Europe and...Italians!

My husband and I are already booked on this cruise. We will be staying in Rome for 5 days before the cruise. I know that many of the best restaurants are closed at this time- but that will only save us some money. I have also found that the hotels are considerably less expensive in August than the rest of the year. As the previous poster said- all of the sites are open.

As for the other ports on this cruise- we will be at the resorts in high season- so everything will be open- crowded but open.

I hope you join us. I am trying to find other couples interested in joining us on private tours of the Amalfi Coast, Florence and perhaps Taormina in Sicily. It is usually far better and less expensive to use private cars than it is to use the ship's tours. If you are interested please let me know.

Barbara

I have been to Italy in June, July, August and December...

I believe the scare stories of "everything is shut down" are completely overblown...no, beyond overblown--virtually untrue...

Yes, Italians tend to take their vacations in August...but those who have tourist related businesses certainly don't...so while a dentist or a realtor or an accountant's office may be closed, EVERYTHING that you want or need will be open: Hotels, restaurants, gift shops, tourist attractions, etc.

Like I said, I've been to Italy in August and I would not hesitate to return in August...It can be hot...but, I have no problem with hot...It's not humid...just dress comfortably and carry water with you...

Have fun...

My husband and I are planning to go on the Galaxy Mediterranean cruise in August (25th). I have heard that most of Italy is shut down at this time...does anyone have any imput on this?

August is the month most all europeans take vacation, and you can expect everything to be crowded.

Archived