Children-what's the deal?

willzmom

We are taking our son-in-law, daughter and two grandchildren on our next cruise...April 28. It will be a 10-day cruise. I am not worried about taking our grandchildren because we have raised very nice, well disciplined children. We have been taking them to nice restaurants, weddings, nice places, and to church their whole lives. They have learned that there is a time to play and be children, and there is a time to behave and act respectfully. We have taken these children to waterparks and played on the waterslides, to amusement parks where we could play together as kids ourselves and on and on. Our grandchildren are 10 and 12.

We have no concerns that anyone's cruise would be affected negatively by our grandchildren...because if we did, we would never take them. Everyone has a right to expect to have a good time...and everyone should be respectful of other people's expensive, hard earned vacation.

Cruising is one way to teach children what it is like to dress up, behave, and and learn behavour skills that will last them a lifetime. We expect our grandchildren to grow up and do great things...and we are teaching them the skills they will need to that. Anyway, that is what I think...if everyone were doing their job as parents and grandparents...this world would be a better place...and today's children would be all the better for it.

What I like most about this board is that people can give their opinions. What I don't like is when comments are taken offensively. We are trying to help someone.

I have kids ages 6 and 8 years that took their first cruise last December. They had a blast. And so did we! We got to enjoy time together and apart! It was a perfect vacation for our family!

My DH and I cruised several times without the kids, so it is easy for me to see both sides of this issue. However, after the experience our family shared it makes all the frustrations we may have had before with kids on-board seem a lot like childbirth! (Forgetable-is that a word?) :)

Have fun!

Jandie

Someone commented that people say "Why even bring little kids on a cruise, they won't even remember it", or something to that effect. It's true, the kid probably won't remember it, but the parent will. Same thing with taking kids to DisneyWorld. The kid may not remember meeting Cinderella in person, but the parent will ALWAYS remember the look on the childs face. That is priceless.

I brought my kids and would do it again. We all had a wonderful time. Do what's right for you. No matter what someone will think you are making a mistake so only parent for you. If you do bring them tho don't let them run around like out of control animals. That's all.

I personally can't understand why anyone would want to take a 1 or 2 yr old on a cruise, but that is for them to decide not me. I hope no one takes offense to my comments or thinks I am lecturing. This is not my intent, I do see 2 sides to the story. BTW, we have been very lucky, only rarely have we witnessed kids causing problems on cruise ships. The worst was on Celebrity over Thanksgiving a few years ago. A couple of extended families and the kids were everywhere. They were not necessarily misbehaved just being real pains. NMnita

Being with my child on vacation is what it is all about. My daughter first cruised with us when she was 2. It was great, she was great. She even had adult table food like Rack of lamb, lobster and those yummy chilled soups. We also cruise without our children every other cruise. Coming this september we are taking our one year old on his first cruise along with out daughter who will be 5. SO I PERSONALLY UNDERSTAND why I want to cruise with my young children. They are behaved because we take them everywhere and this is how they expect their life to be (Traveling, eating out, going to NYC weekly on outings). My children will BOTH be celebrating their birthdays (one year old, and 5 year old) on the cruise ship in different countries. Children will be children. If you dont like them, go to an all adult cruise or other vacation spot. Cruise lines cater to families and babies.

There are those who will always think cruising is for adults only, like those who think Vegas is for adults only or Disneyland is for kids only.

I agree about the cruising isn't only for adults, just as Disneyland isn't just for kids, but Las Vegas gave up on try to attract families several years ago, so I have to disagree with you. Las Vegas is once again, not a place looking to attract kids.

As to kids on a cruise. I think, for the most part, it isn't necessarily the kids people have a problem with, it is the parent's lack of responsibility for their kids' behavior and perhaps for themselves. Well behaved kids are a pleasure to encounter, on a cruise or on land. Badly behaving kids or adults are not welcome anywhere.

I love Vegas, go there once a year at least. I did bring my son a few years ago but I won't now. It's not the same.

I do think children belong on a cruise, but I am bothered by the statement renata102 made:

"Children will be children. If you dont like them, go to an all adult cruise or other vacation spot. Cruise lines cater to families and babies."

Cruise lines cater to a lot of people but babies? I don't see it. NOt that they don't belong there but the thought that, and it was implied, that children are going to be as they are and if you don' like it then it's your problem is, well problematic at best. While they do attract families cruise lines also work hard to attract young singles, childless couples, retirees, basically everyone. No one group has the right, because of marketing, to infringe on another. I would no more expect badly behaved children ruining my vacation than I would a party of seniors up all night in the cabin next door banging on the walls. (I once took a group of seniors to Toronto for the weekend, they partied like Rock Stars, so before you think this is a ridiculous premise...)

A screaming child at dinner is not acceptable, neither is a snobby overbearing adult who is so busy denouncing every child on board they become a one person show of "me, me, me". Take who you want on a cruise, go if you smoke, or drink, or don't. Have fun no matter your age. Just don't feel that because there is a representative for someone like you in ads that means the ship is some sort of venue where you and your vacation come before other peoples. Everyone is there to have fun and common courtesy should prevail.

I love Vegas, go there once a year at least. I did bring my son a few years ago but I won't now. It's not the same.

I do think children belong on a cruise, but I am bothered by the statement renata102 made:

"Children will be children. If you dont like them, go to an all adult cruise or other vacation spot. Cruise lines cater to families and babies."

Cruise lines cater to a lot of people but babies? I don't see it. NOt that they don't belong there but the thought that, and it was implied, that children are going to be as they are and if you don' like it then it's your problem is, well problematic at best. While they do attract families cruise lines also work hard to attract young singles, childless couples, retirees, basically everyone. No one group has the right, because of marketing, to infringe on another. I would no more expect badly behaved children ruining my vacation than I would a party of seniors up all night in the cabin next door banging on the walls. (I once took a group of seniors to Toronto for the weekend, they partied like Rock Stars, so before you think this is a ridiculous premise...)

A screaming child at dinner is not acceptable, neither is a snobby overbearing adult who is so busy denouncing every child on board they become a one person show of "me, me, me". Take who you want on a cruise, go if you smoke, or drink, or don't. Have fun no matter your age. Just don't feel that because there is a representative for someone like you in ads that means the ship is some sort of venue where you and your vacation come before other peoples. Everyone is there to have fun and common courtesy should prevail.

Very well said! Good job!

D.

All I can say is that I hope it somehow all works out okay that I'm brining my 2 year old and 5 year old on HAL to Alaska (against my better judgment, but huge family onboard event and spousal emotional distress overcame logic of leaving 2 year old with grandparents, so off we all go!). There sure are a lot of people out there on the internet who are hoping not to see a bunch of kids onboard...

Ours are very well behaved--far better than the average I'd say--but after a full day of travel, 3-4 hour time difference, extended daylight hours, and limited kid fun things to do onboard, and formal dinners... I have to admit I'm worried about imperfect behavior.

Here's hoping it can all work out somehow.

Hey, does anyone know if HAL is going to find out the weight of my children so they can provide appropriate life vests, or do I need to bring my own to be sure?

• 2 weeks later...
There sure are a lot of people out there on the internet who are hoping not to see a bunch of kids onboard...

Here's hoping it can all work out somehow.

Well, I might even be one of those people, except... we cruised to Alaska in the middle of the summer last year, and the only reason I ever found out there were tons of kids on board was because they marched through the public decks one afternoon, singing a cute pirate song that even I thought was charming! The rest of the time they were apparently busy having fun elsewhere, and I never even noticed them.

My point is, if everyone is having a good time and behaving considerately (including the adults!), there's plenty of scope for everyone to enjoy themselves. I'm sure that you and your family (and your fellow cruisers) will have a great time.

Lisa

Archived