Art Auction dilema!!

arlanamay

WOW! Talk about shady practices! I guess it is not uncommon for the art auctions on board to be bait & switch? .

If I understand this thread......the art auction company baited him with a cheap painting..........and switched him to an expensive painting..........:rolleyes:

In bait and switch....they bait with expensive and switch to cheap.

I think the implication was that they purposefully put up the "real" painting and meant to send them packing with the litho. The auction house then found out that the B&S didn't happen and are trying to get the "real" painting back.

Not that it happened that way, just that was the speculation in the thread. At least the way I read it in the wee hours of the morning :) !

Hey, if it worked your way, I'd certainly be up for it!

Anxiously awaiting news...how exciting!

I dont see this as bait and switch at all, I see it as the wrong number getting entered in the computer when they brought the painging up to auction and th PW staff on the ship made a costly clerical mistake. However, to the OP, I would not take anyone's word for it that it's an original or not, you really don't know what you have untill you get it appraised, which I'm surprised you haven't as of yet. Also, I would think with all the developements with the phone calls from PW, I would think your husband would be more supportive of you talking to your friend the patent lawyer, at least to point you in the right direction. Im sure the lawyer wouldn't be bothered and find the story very interesting if nothing else.

Clingandclatter, I think you are blowing this out of proportion. The bottom line is that Park West apparently made a costly mistake and there is no hint that they have done or are going to do anything illegal to fix it. I can understand their desire to get the painting back. I also believe the OP should protect her rights in this matter and not do anything she isn't legally required to do.

Park West and the cruise lines they work with (not just Carnival) have reputations to maintain. Feel free to not buy anything from them, but you shouldn't make accusations or inferences about the company that you have no knowledge about.

Btw, I am not associated with Park West, nor have I bought anything from them, but I have attended some of their auctions.

Jeff

I have been to the art auctions, and have seen them first hand selling $50.00 wood block prints/etchings of Rembrant for thousands of dollars. I have seen the EXACT peices of "art" selling on late night TV auctions in the $50.0-$200.00 range. That's shady. I have seen them tell people that the "art" they have bought could not be taken off the ship with them, and that it would have to be shipped. It was so blaintantly obvious that they were going to have one drop shipped ship from their "poster warehouse". I saw people bidding thousands of dollars for items worth only a fraction of their bid. They take advantage of people in the art auctions. That is plain and simple. I wouldn't mind telling anyone that, and it is my personal opinion; a somewhat knowledgeable one at that.

Arlanamay -

Do you recall the name of your auctioneer? I was on the Conquest in October (same time Wilma was running around) and we had a brand new auctioneer. That week was literally his 1st auction. He's from Canada and I cannot remember his name.

Wonder if that's the one you had too? If so, it's not your fault if the auctioneer hasn't got it together.

He had been a DJ on the Valor during my January 2005 cruise.

Keep the painting!!!

Christi

On one of my trips I purchased one of the "polar bears" the picture they show backwards and then turn it around...for $35. I was happy with it and decided to keep it. Then another one of the artist's litheographs came up so I bought it. When it arrived from Princess Arts it had been mailed in a soft type of tube, not the heavy ones the other auction houses use. When it was delivered the carton had been crushed and so was the picture. When I opened them, one was a poster, not a litheograph and even had the words enblazoned on the bottom in large letters. The other was a regular litheograph, but on poster paper. I sent them both back at their expense for a full refund.

Maybe her DH asked her not to post anymore :confused:

Maybe the story was not true.

I followed the story and toward the end I got the feeling she was leading us on. Someone asked a question and her responce was that PW wanted $5000 for the picture so I thought I missed part of that post telling how much the pic was worth but I went back and read all her posts again and couldn t find it.

I would think insurance would cover the price difference if a mistake that large was made.

If it was me I would have taken the painting to see its worth that same day, I would not have played games over the phone. Wouldn't you want to know what you are dealing with before playing phone games with PW.

Oh my gosh!! I'v never been so popular in my life. LOL. I haven't updated because I didn't have anything new to post and the thread fell off the first couple of pages so... I haven't heard from PW in a week and a half. I really hope I don't either. The reason I haven't taken it to be appraised is I don't want to pay for it to be appraised and then it is taken from me, simple as that. I can't help but respond to the person who thought I made up the whole thing. I can't think of a more complete waste of time. Also I don't have that great of an imagination, honestly.

I can't help but respond to the person who thought I made up the whole thing. I can't think of a more complete waste of time. Also I don't have that great of an imagination, honestly.
TOO FUNNY - I was replying to your email - then saw you had responded. We sure were on the same wave length :)

Once everything settles down (and they leave you alone) I would have the painting appraised for insurance purposes.

I wish you the best.

Maybe the story was not true.

I followed the story and toward the end I got the feeling she was leading us on. Someone asked a question and her responce was that PW wanted $5000 for the picture so I thought I missed part of that post telling how much the pic was worth but I went back and read all her posts again and couldn t find it.

I would think insurance would cover the price difference if a mistake that large was made.

If it was me I would have taken the painting to see its worth that same day, I would not have played games over the phone. Wouldn't you want to know what you are dealing with before playing phone games with PW.

Okay, She said that the auctioneer made a mistake and shouldn't have put that piece up for auction at that price of $150. The inventory sheet says I have something else than what I bid on, won and took off the ship. They would either need to pick it up or I would need to send $5000. When she told me about line 19 on the back of the inventory slip I asked her hypethetically that if I were to have bid on a piece for $400 and then had it appraised and it was worth $5 would they reimburse me $355. She dodged the question by saying that the painting isn't worth $400. Either she missed the point entirely or like I said she dodged it with an irrelevent answer. I thought it was irrelevent anyway. Sorry if I'm misspelling everthing. It was never a talent of mine.

This was a quote from arlanamay.

We are with you arlanamay

Archived