Anyone stay at El Carnio in San Jaun?

according to tripadvisor, noise can be a problem on weekends as its at the end of the street-steps from the beach and many locals hang out there at night. i have stayed in the area at other hotels but decided on the comfort inn at about the same price on a nice quiet street and with a pool.;)

We stopped by it on our Christmas trip. It is right at the beach, not directly on it. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance and a Walgreens right there for anything extra. You can also catch a bus to get around. The beach area is at right there at the Mariott. We also looked in at the ElCanario which is about 2 blocks away. It looked cuter from the outside, but it is on the 'main drag' by there, where as the one by the sea is on a dead end.

We are heading to San Juan March 4 for a week if you want anything checked out at it....we are staying at the Radisson ambassador just down the street.

I've stayed there on my last cruise (just a couple of weeks ago). What the previous poster said is true. The location is very convenient. If you like to walk you can get to Old-San Juan without having to ask or search for directions but it is quite a walk... if you don't want to; busses are cheap.

The hotel was clean. The rooms weren't the biggest I've ever seen but sertainly enough for staying a night or two pre- and/or post-cruise.

If you, like us, only sleep in your hotel; I would definetly recommend it.. if you want some luxery.. this is not your hotel.

In short; I liked it and will go there again if I ever cruise from PR again.

Nerak and Duts, we are staying there in April and feel great about our choice after reading your reviews. Did you find a great, reasonably priced restaurant nearby that you recommend? We are flying in a day early and are looking for dinner ideas.

Nerak and Duts, we are staying there in April and feel great about our choice after reading your reviews. Did you find a great, reasonably priced restaurant nearby that you recommend? We are flying in a day early and are looking for dinner ideas.

Hi Sheffie... your feeling is correct.. the El Canario is nothing special in terms of luxery but it is clean. Conveniently located and affordable (compaired to other PR prices). Staff is friendly and the beds were perfectly fine.

I didn't find any "great" dinning places in the sence that would have to recommend them to you but there are a number of places to the right when you leave the street in which your hotel is located. You will have no problem finding a place. The seafood restaurant looked real nice but I didn't go there because we had someone with us who doesn't respond that well to seafood.

A starbucks (if you like that) is on the left (can't see it from the hotel or the hotel street but it's within 2 minutes walk) and a wallgreens is on the corner of that street..

Check out my January 2006 cruise pictures (see sig) for a picture of the Hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
Duts, you photo area won't let me in. I typed in the special code correctly 5 different times, and "no go." Any thoughts as to what I should do?

Michelle

Michelle.. it should work; I just checked. Try refreshing the page (F5 key if you use windows) it should give you a fresh 'word'... if you typed it wrong once it's expired. Refreshing should fix that.

If it doesn't work; send me and email.. the code is purely for avoiding robots that crawl the internet... not to bother friendly visitors.

B.t.w. if you email me I can also send you a picture of the room we had; I don't think it's online.

We only ate quick inexpensive meals. The one place we really enjoyed was Tijuanas, right there on the strip. It was a mexican place, very inexpensive (except refills are charged like coke and tea which seem to be the norm there). There was a mariachi playing the night we were there....that was fun. We had far more food than we could eat and it was delicious. There will also be a pizza place about 2 blocks from you, it is on the main drag on the corner. It was very good also.

Archived