Have you stayed on Deck 3 on Oceania ships?

luvtravel

The cruise we're looking at appears to have only cabins left on Deck 3 (lowest level) -- and it appears from the ship's layout that there are just a few cabins there...and its located right were the embarkation site is. Seems that it would be very busy from very early morning each day with crew getting things ready for early tour departures, etc.....in other words noisy. Also seems that it might be a little remote. Its hard for me to picture, but wondered if anyone has either stayed in one of these cabins -- apparently they don't have picture windows, but portholes -- or visited/noticed one of these cabins if you've been on Oceania previously. Thanks in advance for any help!

We just got our tickets for the Regatta March 8 sailing and our low price guarrantee was assigned one of these rooms. I asked the travel agent just yesterday if she knew the answers to the very same questions you asked here. I'll let you know what they say.:confused:

We have not stayed on deck 3 before. Whatever negatives that deck may have, you will have one benefit: in rough seas, the lower the deck, the less affected you are. And if you don't like to see the waves going up and down your pothole, you can close the blinds!

Thanks for the responses...agree about the rough seas benefit....and cul8r..I'm looking forward to hearing what your travel agent says. We've just been looking online and taking to an Oceania rep who I don't think has been on these ships. While I'm trying to find out info on this cruise before booking...I'm also worried that they'll get sold out before we decide!! Thanks for any help.

Take what's available now and watch on final payment day/week. On our cruise 28 cabins came open at the time of final payment and we switched twice in that one week.

Also, if you don't like it once you're onboard the hotel manager will assist you in selecting a vacant cabin and moving--all your things on hangars will not have to be repacked, etc. It must be like a checkboard on this cruiseline because our friends moved and in the period that were enduring the noise from the pool chemical supply maintenance room, several cabins became available. We're also still wondering why some people left the ship but that's what they we're told by Bruno.

The Oceania agent just answered my question about size of porthole....16" diameter and that on the 3rd floor passengers only there when tenders being used -- otherwise only staff. Still seems an unusual location....still deciding and lookin forward to hearing what cul8r's t.a. says. If/when I find out more, I'll let you know.

Hi luvtravel - I have just booked us on a Regatta cruise in 2007 and we too have an assigned cabin on deck 3. I tend to seasickness so the low deck wasn't a problem for me, but it would be good to know if there are any real drawbacks. We prefer to avoid the elevators and to walk whenever we can so we'll definitely get to do a lot of that from deck 3.

Actually I was going to book an obstructed cabin on deck 6 but the Oceania rep told my TA that they were 95% or more obstructed. The window would have been larger but apparently we wouldn't see much.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the oceanview cabins on deck 6?

Thanks.

I just spoke with an Oceania rep about the deck 6 obstructed view cabins. She told me they are smaller and do not have a sofa so not sure about seating other than on the bed. She also said the view is 95% obstructed and doesn't let in much light. We are confirmed on Deck 3 but thought it would be nice to have a bigger window but will keep what we have because of the sofa.

Yes, thanks Pearl. I'm thinking the same as you on this one. I'd rather have the space and the smaller but unobstructed window.

Cul8r - any word from your TA that would be helpful?

Has anyone tried upgrading to a balcony once on the ship and if so, did you find the cost to be the same as if you'd booked one right from the begtinning?

We stayed in a Deck 3 cabin on a South American cruise in Jan 2005. There was NO problem with noise, congestion from disembarking passengers or crew member traffic. Inside cabin size and furnishings exactly the same for Decks 3, 4 and 6 (have stayed on all 3 decks). Disadvantage is the port hole balanced by the advantage of being low which might mitigate the "action" from rough seas.

Archived