Grand Cayman Question

Nole4Life28

Hi. I will be taking my first cruise on 05/14/06 Valor. YAY :D Anyhow, a friend of mine said that when she went on a cruise that GC was on the itinerary but they didn't get to go there, and that a friend of hers has been on 2-3 cruises and were scheduled to stop at the GC's and none of the times did they get to either. I am wondering of that is a frequent or freak occurrence. I am really looking forward to seeing the island. I am aware that it could have been due to hurricane's etc. but just wondered if it happens a lot there. Thanks all!! :)

Much more so than at the other islands. I'm told its more to do with the currents, etc., than the actually bad weather that may or may not be occuring. Plus, Cayman is a relatively small island, so their isn't much buffering.

Last week we did make it to Cayman (on the Conquest), but had to go around to the other side of the island and tender in to a smaller dock. There wasn't much on this side, so you had to take cabs into GeorgeTown if you wanted to go shopping.

Cayman is beautiful (and the Stingrays were awesome) but my advice would be to be prepared to have to miss it...just in case. Make sure your shore excursions are refundable if booked independently (most are), and don't fret if you have to tender on the opposite side of the island. It wasn't a big deal at all. Have fun!

Guess we were lucky on our Valor Vampires cruise of 10-30...although we had lousy weather in most ports GC was the exception! The tenders had no problem and we really enjoyed the island. Ditto to the Stingrays being great, we saw them with Captain Marvin. Enjoy!:D

We've always made it, but GC is one of the more troublesome places in the Caribbean to get into. Once we had to wait a couple hours to get off; when we came back several hours later we learned that the ship had actually pulled away at one point and did not embark or disembark anyone for a long period of time.

MauiBabe I'm totally interested in the shore excursions, please let me know, thanks

Nole...........check out "Captain Marvins' for an adventure out to StingRay City." I believe you can find all the info you need on his website....if I recall....its http://www.captainmarvin.com...if you have any problems...let me know...the address may have changed and a search via google should come up.

I just book the Conquest for next Sunday and now we are scrambling for things to do. We have been to Stringray City once before and would like to see some of the island. Can you catch a cab or bus to Seven Mile Beach from the dock? Has anyone had any problems with dis-honest tour operators at the pier? Any help would be wonderful.

"Kvitartas"...My highest recommendations go to touring StingRay City with Captain Marvin. The crew was delightful, very helpful and the best tour I have ever been on. Once again, check their website...as suggested above for further info. I booked with them right online, but as usual be sure to check anyones cancelation policies to be safe. I have heard that it is not uncommon for the ships to have to bypass the Caymans due to weather.

Best of luck to you and let me know if I can be of any help with questions.

Archived