Delta skymiles questions - any experience

flagger

Looking at booking a flight for our January cruise and coming up on 331 days. We have just enough for SkySaver but not for SkyChoice. The only Skysavers are either WAY before noon or at 5:45 in the afternoon.

Has anyone tried to standby using a skysaver on an earlier flight and been successful? Obviously I am trying to avoid sitting at MIA with a then 3.5 year old all day.

We used Skysaver to fly 4 of us to Vancouver and home from Anchorage this June. Call at midnight (EST), 331 days out, to book the outbound flight and then you will have to call again at midnight to book the return flight home. They will hold the reservation for 14 days for you to book the return. If you don't call at midnight good luck getting anything at the skysaver rate. My parents are going on the sameflights and waited until morning and had to use skychoice to book it. They have never let us fly standby using FF miles without charging us for the change.

I have a question concerning booking with skymiles. I need to book for me and my husband ,we each have our own account. How can I make sure we both get to use our miles for the same flights?

I know I will have to log in on each account to book each one separately, how does that work? Maybe I will have to pay for one if I am only able to get one seat with the skymiles????

I thought with SkyMiles you can transfer between accounts.

Here is a different question. Would any of you book a 10:59 flight out of MIA or is that just pushing it too much?

I missed an 11:40 flight at MIA coming off of Voyager. You're coming off of Freedom which has even more people. I think I would take a later flight, and then find some activity to do for a couple of hours to occupy the 3.5 year old. Good luck though!

Flagger,

If you call three hours ahead of the flight that you would like to get on (even if you are booked later and on miles) they will put you on the flight for a $25.00 charge if there are seats avaliable. (It is called a same day confirmation)

LadeeBug,

As far as you and your husband booking and using miles, I would call and book it over the phone (no charge) as opposed to online. That way, they can let you know if they can accomodate you both right then and there.

I've found when booking online using the SkyMiles that the flights available for SkySaver and SkyChoice fluctuate. I kept checking every day for over 3 weeks the last time I was booking using miles when the time I wanted finally became available to snag. This was only about 3 months before the flight also. Unless you are traveling an obscure route, there is a possibility that what you want will become available if you are willing to wait & be diligent about checking. Good luck!

I've found when booking online using the SkyMiles that the flights available for SkySaver and SkyChoice fluctuate. I kept checking every day for over 3 weeks the last time I was booking using miles when the time I wanted finally became available to snag. This was only about 3 months before the flight also. Unless you are traveling an obscure route, there is a possibility that what you want will become available if you are willing to wait & be diligent about checking. Good luck!
With a cross country move coming up, the air for us is just something I want to get out of the way.

There could be but I just decided to move the miles over anyway. It is one less thing to worry about. Only skysaver I could get was for 7:30 Sunday night. Sigh. I guess I will be paying the change fee the day of travel.

Good luck! Hey, maybe they'll cancel that flight and move you to an earlier one (I know, the exact opposite of what other cruisers want but hey!).

Thanks everyone for their help. I am kinda hopin' they will cancel or change flights times to something earlier. A 7:30 departure gives us plenty of time for them to move us to an earlier flight. I have seen posts of people being moved from 1pm to 10:30AM and they were panicked.

Ms. Flagger had a sympathetic gate agent on Southwest recently that did not charge her to take an earlier flight. We still had to go back to the airport to get her luggage the next day, but it ended up being good karma becuase the one she was originally was to fly on was delayed and did not get back here until after 3:30 in the morning. (I would have told her to cab it)

It is just nice to have one less thing with the cruise to worry about.

We've used our FF miles by planning wayyyyyyyy ahead as you've mentioned. Just FYI - in January we called to book for November 24th for me and pay for my DH. The first agent I talked to found a flight and then "poof " it was gone. Stunned, I hung up and quickly redailed. Got another agent and she found the same flight and booked by FF ticket and one paid for one for my DH. If I had just given up with the first call, I would not have gotten my FF ticket. DON'T GIVE UP UNTIL YOU REALLY KNOW THAT YOU CAN'T GET WHAT YOU WANT.

Archived