Not attending formal night on HAL/Princess? What is my option?

tempoct

Hi,

When I go travelling, I usually go very casual. Jeans, t-shirt, etc. I'd never been on a cruise before and, from my research, seem to be much more formal. (I'm 29 yrs old, my dad is 70+).

I like to pack light since I will be doing more land tour after getting off the ship. Plus, I got two camera bags, one big tripod and a laptop :p. My priority for the trip is to see Alaska, not formal party. I have way too many formal parties here to attend (part of my job). When I slip into my tux, I feel like I'm working!

I'm really looking for quiet, calm environment in the ship. Look into some smaller ship but those seem to cost a fortune.

Maybe I might pack a pair of slack and maybe a blazer and some casual shirts. Not sure if this is appropriate enough.

For regular night, is jeans+windbreker+t-shirt good enough for the dining room?

Nevertheless, I assumed that there will be other dinning in the formal night for non-formal people? I'm talking HAL or Princess here. Assuming they would not leave me hungry w/o the tux :o.

tempoct

I can only speak to Princess.

Check out the Princess board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=214933 - there is lots of discussion on this subject, but the bottom line is that jeans are not acceptable for dinner in the dinning room. This is a quote from that section :

"Princess Dining Room Attire as stated in the current 2005 Princess Cruise Answer Book.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops,

and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men"

Lunch and breakfast are much more relaxed and jeans are fine - just no swim suit.

No - they don't let you go hungry - you can always eat in the buffet, and likewise, you can always order room service. :rolleyes:

You're going to love cruising - have a great time.

Hi,

When I go travelling, I usually go very casual. Jeans, t-shirt, etc. I'd never been on a cruise before and, from my research, seem to be much more formal. (I'm 29 yrs old, my dad is 70+).

I like to pack light since I will be doing more land tour after getting off the ship. Plus, I got two camera bags, one big tripod and a laptop :p. My priority for the trip is to see Alaska, not formal party. I have way too many formal parties here to attend (part of my job). When I slip into my tux, I feel like I'm working!

I'm really looking for quiet, calm environment in the ship. Look into some smaller ship but those seem to cost a fortune.

Maybe I might pack a pair of slack and maybe a blazer and some casual shirts. Not sure if this is appropriate enough.

For regular night, is jeans+windbreker+t-shirt good enough for the dining room?

Nevertheless, I assumed that there will be other dinning in the formal night for non-formal people? I'm talking HAL or Princess here. Assuming they would not leave me hungry w/o the tux :o.

tempoct

I'm a newbie to cruising as well, but I've been doing my research. My answer to you applies to Holland America, as that is the cruiseline I have chosen for my family this summer.

HAL does have a less formal dining venue called The Lido for those who do not wish to attend formal night in the main dining room. There is also room service. A tuxedo is not necessary for formal night on HAL; a dark suit, white shirt and tie will suffice. Having said that, I have heard that Alaska cruises tend to run a little less formal, due to the nature of the cruise - more outdoor activities, for instance. My suggestion for evening attire is, pack a pair of khakis, a nice button-down shirt or two, and a blazer, and I think you'll be fine. If you want to throw in a tie, it won't take up much space, and if you decide to put it on, you will look very attractive to the ladies.:) Jeans are fine during the day, but are considered a no-no in the evening, unless you eat in the Lido. Hope my answer is not too confusing!

Yet again I am duty bound to mention that the "Alaska Tuxedo" comprises a pressed pair of jeans, cowboy boots, a new (or at least clean) Pendleton shirt and a bolo tie, preferably one where the cinch is decorated with a gold-nugget bear or moose head.

All other tuxedos worn in Alaska contain cheechakos.

If that is your thing, wear jeans. It's all been said here, but you can use the 24 hour buffet, room service. The jeans might be frowned on in the dining rooms, but for the paying customer, they will probably not insist that you leave. If you need to dress formal for work, then you should not mind khakis and a clean button-down shirt, though. They could still be cotton-comfortable, and casual.

Thank you everyone. I think I'll pack a semi-formal and leave my tux at home.

Maybe I am a little tired from 4-5 dress up parties during Chrismas/New year time.

Nevertheless, my g/f seem to enjoy dressing up very much :p. She's not coming to AK with me this time anyway ;)

Archived