Ward Cove Ketchikan

Cruiser933

On 8/20/2021 at 10:48 AM, CroozFanatic said:

I think the NCLH Board of Directors should setup a committee to investigate this. TA on board said she would dissuade customers from booking NCL because of this. With all of the busses and drivers required, I'm skeptical if it even makes business sense. If it doesn't... somebody probably has a financial incentive...who?

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!  It was an awful experience. 

• Like 1

I posted a similar comment on my review thread, but thought I would share here since this discussion is specific to the topic. Ward Cove is a beautiful area. It has hiking trails and fishing at Ward Lake nearby and Totem Bight Park and Settler’s Cove aren’t very far away. If you had transportation options to reach these areas it would be a great location for those wanting to explore nature. The location at the dock was an old pulp factory - lots of history there that may be very interesting if it is tied in to what is being developed there. There are small docks for tour boats to pick people up and return them in the Cove as well which could be great for water based tours. It definitely has potential and may be very nice in time. The problem at the moment is NCL has chosen to use it as a base before all of this has been completed and the local transportation providers were not prepared either. The rental car company we use there said they commonly rent cars to people coming in on the ships, but it is a solid 30 to 40 minute round trip drive for their shuttle so it has thrown them for a bit of a loop. They can’t be driving back and forth all day - it’s a small office. But if it eventually provides enough business they may invest in a second shuttle and driver - time will tell. Right now you can tell they find it all a big hassle. By all appearances it was running much more smoothly for our trip then it was the week before and the shuttle was free which was a welcomed change. But it is still very much a work in progress. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2021 at 11:36 AM, 4 cruisers said:

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!  It was an awful experience. 

In all of your posts all you have done is complain and question truth with what you have “heard”.   You insisted information that was correct isn’t correct which it was. You have said multiple times what a disaster it was for ALL yet you seem to not acknowledge those of us that had no issues.   
NCL is a wonderful job on their first post pandemic sailing.  For us it was perfection especially for their first cruise out! 
sorry you are so negative 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 7:48 AM, kimandtim said:

ISince weather was beautiful, rather than wait for what we could see was a giant mess, we headed up the hill and caught the city bus into town. 

Is that the same city bus that goes out to Totem Bight?  Could you have gone in the opposite direction from downtown and seen Totem Bight or other interesting stuff?  

I've been accustom to NCL always using for the most distant piers and have been used to walking  farther on AK cruises, but this is a breaker for me.  Between the Icy point  gondolas and Ward Cove superfund sight I opted for a RCI ship instead when I booked yesterday.  There comes a point where wasted time and inconvenience mean something to me.  Sorry if this NCL criticism is harsh for some.

• Like 2

I'm on the 9/11 sailing and these two new shore excursions appeared today:

1 way harbor cruise to Ward Cove (3:30 and 3:45PM)

1 way harbor cruise to Downtown Ketchikan (2PM).  Not sure that timing makes much sense unless you want to just do a roundtrip.  No morning departure shown.

Both say 1 hour duration

I couldn't see the regular price for these since my excursion credit was applied making them free.  Will await the email confirmation that should show the regular price and post back if someone else doesn't before me.

Edited by SomewhereGirl

Harbor cruise to/from Ward Cove $39 each way.  First passenger would be free with excursion credit, which can be used on multiple excursions in port that don't overlap. 

I've booked the morning Lumberjack show, will wander Ketchikan after, and take the harbor cruise back.  $4 total.  ☺️

• Like 1

Crayola1932,  There is a bus schedule listed on Ketchikan visitors site, I believe.  We just lucked into catching the bus heading the right direction that we wanted to go.  I think that as long as 1. you did a little research - which I really didn't (just got lucky) 2. had sufficient time in port 3. had activities planned that bus went to, that bus would be a pretty easy way and economical to get around and do some activities at your own pace.  Sorry I am not more help.