NCL Jade PCR testing timelines

jazatand

Hi.  I am sailing on the Jade out of Athens on Aug.22-29.  As a Canadian Citizen I require a PCR (not Antigen) test within 72 hours of departure time of my final direct flight into Canada.  Norwegian provides free PCR testing on-board.  However, my flight home leaves at 1pm on Aug.30, so I need to take the PCR test on or after Aug.27, 1pm Athens time (for the Jade itinerary, would mean the day it ports in Corfu).

If anyone has sailed on the Jade in the past few weeks, do you remember when the final testing cut-off was for PCR tests?  Was it after 1pm on the Corfu port day?  Thanks.

8 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

I believe they do the testing Saturday morning before Santorini 

Are these time stamped with the time they were taken or just the date ?   The reason I ask is we don’t fly out til noon on Tuesday , which would be close to the cut off time.   I had hoped they didn’t test til Saturday evening.  

Good question.  I don't know the answer to that definitively however, for Canadians, the govt website only specifies that our proof of negative PCR test result must show "The date on which the test was conducted".  No mention of timestamp.  The govt also specifies we need to have the test taken within 72 hours of scheduled departure time final direct flight back into Canada.  This implies a timestamp is needed. 

That said, unless the Jade has the necessary lab equipment on board, then in order to ensure all PCR test results are back before disembarkation, they will need to send PCR swabs to a lab on the Santorini port day (we port there at noon; Santorini has 3 clinics near the port that do PCR tests).  This implies cut-off for PCR tests is the morning of the Santorini port day which aligns with ssbeard1's comment.  I have spoken to NCL and it was clear that if your testing timeline is outside the Jade's PCR test cut-off then you are responsible for getting the test done on your own.

If this is the case, there are 2 options that I can see:

(1) Long shot: once on board, ask the customer service desk on-board the Jade whether you can take the test after noon on the Santorini port day and you can transport it to a Santorini clinic yourself (there is 1 that is half a km from the upper cable car station where we port.  There other 2 are beside each other about 3.5kms from where we port).

(2) Plan B: if option (1) is no go, then go to this website:  https://www.santorini-view.com/santorini-covid19/ and book an appointment for a PCR test  "in advance" (to make sure you get a spot) at 1 of the 3 Santorini clinics.  I recommend the closer one (Santorini Central Clinic, open Sat 8-8) which is walking distance.  The PCR test there is 90euro per person.  The other 2 clinics are 80euro per person but need to cab it there + wasted time. 1 of those are open until 8pm, other only until 12:30 on Saturdays).  You have to pre-pay on credit card however you can cancel at any time for full refund.  They will email you the results (usually within 3-5 hours, however if you take the test later in day then next day for sure) and the document will contain all necessary info needed for Canadian government requirements.

Note: if you go to https://www.santorini-view.com/santorini-covid19/ you can send them an email (they respond quickly) and you can ask if a timestamp is provided on the PCR test document.

• Thanks 1

Should have added an Option 3 in case you are staying in Athens after disembarkation and have at least a day or so before flying home.  You can also take a PCR test in Athens (cheaper than Santorini).  Last I looked, a couple of options here near Athens center (there are more that I didn't look into):

(1) Athens Hospital, PCR test = 55euro per person (best price I could find).  Results given same day if tested in the am.  * Except Sundays where results will be next day.  Open 24/7.

To book an apptmt:  https://pcrtestgreece.gr/

1. English website: Home - English - Θεραπευτήριο Αθηνών (athenshospital.gr)

2. Greek website: Home - Θεραπευτήριο Αθηνών (athenshospital.gr)

3. Email: info@athenshospital.gr

4. For additional information, contact the secretariat of our clinic at: 210-8236721, 210-8236723, 210-8224562

5. Address:

Ioannou Drosopoulou 24, P.C. 11257, Athens

(2) Homed LAB (PCR test 70eur per person):  Ermou 18 str, Syntagma square.

Web: https://homed.gr. 

1. It's right in the center of Athens, next to Syntagma square.

2. The dispensaries at 18 Ermou Street in Syntagma Square are open daily from 08:00 to 23:00.

3. On Sundays the lab is closed however you can still come anytime between 08:00 AM-22:00 PM to do your PCR test. You will receive your results on Monday after 21:00 PM (2pm EST) to 24:00 (5pm EST)

4. if you can't manage to book an appointment through the website, you can also do it in person at the reception the day of testing (ie walk-in option available but may have to wait).

5. If you want to book an appointment, fill the form with the information needed and they will reply to confirm the appointment

i.      https://system.homed.gr/tokenlogin.htm

ii.      Please select the English flag to change the language .

iii.      In the Municipality section, press the symbol of the magnifying glass and select ΑΘΗΝΑΙΩΝ

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Staying at Grand Hyatt Athens 2 days prior to embarkation.  So in order to meet the criteria for NCL Jade cruise I just called Grand Hyatt and for $60 per PCR test results are next day and they have from 10-11am and I think 6-7pm each day, no appointment necessary.