Would you suggest MSC Opera for us?

MandyGirl

My husband and I plan to book a cruise tomorrow (Saturday)... after I take my students to math competition and find out of they qualify for state or not. If they don't qualify, we can book the cruise... but if they do qualify, I lose half of my Spring break to take them to competition... hence no Spring break cruise for hubby and I. So, as soon as results are announced, we're possibly booking.

Our choices this late in the game for cruising March 11-18 (time/budget constraints):

- MSC Opera (least expensive option, would choose inside cabin, small size is fine)

- HAL Zuiderdam ($400 more total, oceanview, have cruised same ship/itinerary before but love the itinerary - returns to our wedding beach; appreciate afternoon tea)

- NCL Sun (have cruised this ship, offers a different itinerary for us; oceanview including insurance is $150 more total than MSC Opera... and balcony including insurance is $550 more total than MSC Opera - which I would probably push for balcony due to younger Spring Breakers on NCL)

I would be happy with either of these choices assuming they are still available Saturday evening. This will be our 7th cruise - 6th in Caribbean - but we have never tried MSC. We enjoy fine dining, the beauty of ships, and peacefulness. We are not into the party scene. We will be flying into Fort Lauderdale, and love the ease of cruising from there.

Would you recommend the MSC Opera? I believe this is her last Caribbean cruise prior to going back across the big ocean. Knowing very little about MSC, and observing it to be the least expensive option, I'm trying to research the "MSC Experience." Also, we have never been to the Dominican Republic, so that would be new.

Recommendations? Thanks so much in advance!!:)

Mandy, I'm a week away from my first MSC cruise, on the Opera. Wish I could give you first-hand knowledge on this, but I can't, not for another week.

Since you have a tight deadline, here's my two cents. From all I have read, the Opera excels in entertainment, the ship is clean and lovely, most of the crew is wonderful, and the food is either great or awful...pretty much like anyone's personal interpretation of a cruise. ;)

If you are open to experiencing a different cruise line and itinerary, then I would definitely go for it. The Zuiderdam and the Sun are certainly better-known and good choices, but if you are looking for relaxation away from the spring break crowds, I would bet that MSC would be the least-crowded choice for you. Check the itineraries as well to be sure that you are going where you want to go.

Good luck deciding; I really want to have a great experience on the ship to report back to everyone. :)

We did the first cruise when she got over here in January so keep that in mind when you read the following. I am sure that the staff is now better able to handle the American passengers. Do keek in mind that of the mass market lines, we have never done NCL or Hal. We usually find excellent deals on X and Princess so haven't been tempted yet!

Some thoughts on MSC Opera Part 1 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=284489

Some thoughts on MSC Opera Part 2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=284493

Hope you get to cruise and you will have a great time!

Thanks for sharing! Celebrity also had a cruise on the Inifinity we were looking at, and it increased by over $300 per person this week. Now it's back down to being reasonable again - so it's also a consideration we are now throwing in the ring. Plus, we've cruised Celebrity before and enjoyed it.

We do get to book a cruise since my students missed qualifying for state by two questions in the team round today (they are really kicking themselves). I'm really glad I waited since it was such a close competition - could have gone either way.

Just returned home last night from the Opera. I had an absoutely wonderful time. The Dominican port of La Romana wasn't that great. I'd recommend skipping the town and marina and going to Bayhibe beach. The cruise is very international. How fun is it to meet Danish, Koreans, Germans, French, etc? To me, that was great. Unfortunately, a lot of Americans did not agree. That was some of the feedback we heard. So in a nutshell, I'd say this was a zillion times better than Carnival and about the same as HAL (they do have an afternoon tea on Opera that I went to most days).

I also have to note that I am 33 and traveling solo. I was treated with such respect (something I didn't always get on HAL when I sailed a few years ago - where many crew members would often ask if they could come back to my room). The only problems I had were from passengers (one in particular - if anyone runs into Hal from Milwaukee - WATCH OUT!!!!!).

Whale watching in Cayo Lavantado was SO WORTH it. An amazing experience. Entertainment was amazing. They have a tenor whose voice is stunning. (I usually really avoid cruise ship entertainment, but I went every night and loved it). The rooms did not feel small at all. They are much brighter and cheerier than other ships and have tons of mirrors so they feel bigger.

Just my 2 cents worth. (sorry this is a little all over the place. Just stream of consciousness.) I know some of my fellow cruise critics will be posting reviews. They were a great group of people to hang out with and I think we all had a wonderful time.

Hi Deb, glad to see you made it home safely.

I will address some of the specific questions raised by the OP, and I will write a detailed review later, once I've caught up.

First off, you should realize that it is a EUROPEAN CRUISELINE. Many people lose sight of this when booking. Almost everything that is broadcast (by PA or print) for public consumption is in at least 5 languages.

The passenger compliment is made up of many nationalities. We played trivia with a family from France, Blackjack with a German and Scotsman and saw/heard many other countries being represented onboard.

The food is International. Many times I didn't know what something was on the menu. I asked my waiter, who was more than willing to interpet. Most of the food was fantastic, some not so good. The lobster was terrible (most cruise ship lobster is), steak the first night was bad (but got better as the cruise went on), soups were DELICIOUS, salads were always fresh, some desserts were good, others only fair. Needless to say, I did not starve and it was refreshing to have menu selections which departed from the normal cruise fare.

Entertainment was top notch and soooo different than most cruise lines have.

Cabins were small, but well appointed and designed. No problem for two people for a week, plenty of storage. The only problem I had with the cabin was the showers, they are TINY.

The ship is spotless and beautiful.

Activities are available, but not constant. I managed to read 2 books on this cruise, unusual for me. It is a more laid and relaxing feeling than other cruises I have taken.

I will stop for now, till I write my full review. I think that covers the major points. If you have specifc questions, please feel free ask.

Beverly

I'm loving these reviews from those of you who just got back, can't wait to read more! :)

I'm especially interested in recommendations for La Romana as well; I just can't figure out what to do that day.

Look forward to hearing more about everything!

La Romana - from what I heard go to either Casa del Mar or Bayahibe (both beaches). In fact, Franco, the cruise director very sincerely told everyone at the show the night before La Romana that we would probably be very disappointed if we went into town. There are only a few stores and it's just not worth it. Hit the beach.

La Romana - from what I heard go to either Casa del Mar or Bayahibe (both beaches). In fact, Franco, the cruise director very sincerely told everyone at the show the night before La Romana that we would probably be very disappointed if we went into town. There are only a few stores and it's just not worth it. Hit the beach.

I would definitely recommend Casa del Mar. I think the excursion through the ship is around $60, but well worth it, as it is an all-inclusive resort. The drinks were fantastic (you would think they were running out of mixers) and the food outstanding. There was a pool, beach, hot tubs, etc. Since we were in La Romana till very late, you could make quite a day of it.

The afternoon tea on MSC Opera consists of a few types of cookies, a finger sandwich or two, and taking your own tray through the buffet line to the brew station where they dispensed hot water in your cup and you chose the tea bag. Not what I was used to on HAL!!!!! They need to hire a Tea Director!!! :(

Archived