turtle bay resort in oahu-any feedback pls?

kitchacaT

We have booked into the turtle bay resort for a precruise stay in oahu. it is our 25th annivrsary and we wanted to stay somewhere nice. i realize it is not near the pier . Anyone stay here that can give me a review or feedback to the locals who have been so great on these boards with info will be very much appreciated . Are there any litttle towns nearby for shopping and local dining?

Turtle Bay is nice - their renovation was sorely needed and spruced up the resort. The rooms are comfortable with some great views of the ocean and the cove. "Not near the pier" is probably an understatement - it's the farthest you can be in a hotel and still be on Oahu. :) Turtle Bay is quite isolated - the town of Haleiwa is probably the largest closest town and has some interesting shopping and good meals but it's about a 15 minute drive away from the hotel. Kahuku is a little closer but really has nowhere to eat at night (though go to the shrimp trucks there for lunch!). Eating options at the hotel are somewhat limited but fairly good.

Spleen

I would like to suggest an alternative for your consideration - - The J.W Marriott. We stayed there the first four days of January this year and loved it! I also considered Turtle Bay Resort, but decided that it was just too far from anything except the PCC.

If one of your goals is to get away from Honolulu then the J.W. Marriott is a good choice. It is an easy 30 minute drive from the airport (vs. 90+ to Turtle Bay), but it is a world away from Honolulu. (BTW - It is right next to Paradise Cove Luau.) It is a little more expensive than Turtle Bay (at least it was when we booked our trip last summer), but I know now we made the best choice based on our situation. It is a beautiful hotel with wonderful views of the ocean and the manmade lagoons.

If you're looking for hotels outside of Waikiki, there's really only 3 choices for tourist hotels - 1) the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore, 2) the J.W. Marriott Ihilani at Ko Olina (where the NFL Pro Bowl players stay when they come to Hawaii), and 3) the Kahala Mandarin Oriental (soon to be the Kahala) which is barely outside of Waikiki. I recommend all 3 and I do really like the Ihilani as well though meals there tend to be somewhat more overpriced than elsewhere.

Spleen

Archived