Are Viking using Wideroe for London-Bergen flights?

KBs mum

Looking at possible flights to get to Bergen from Heathrow, getting the flights via Viking (am in UK, so flights are part of the cruise package, we don't have the Viking Air system) 

We can choose which flights we prefer, as long as Viking have a contract with them, hence the question

We are flying on SAS from Manchester to Bergen via Oslo in February for a Northern Lights cruise.  Flights booked by Viking.  Previously we have got to Bergen using KLM via Amsterdam, and another time on SAS via Copenhagen.  I liked SAS but KLM was also good.  All booked by Viking.

Travelling from Heathrow you will probably have other choices that we didn’t have.  

We are just coming back from our 8th Ocean cruise (+ 7 River cruises) with Viking.  We are hooked!  

Hope this helps.

PS I’ve not heard of the airline that you asked about, but Viking only seem to have contracts with the main nation flag carriers.  

Edited by kcpvwill
Needed to add more info

On 10/3/2021 at 12:37 PM, kcpvwill said:

We are flying on SAS from Manchester to Bergen via Oslo in February for a Northern Lights cruise.  Flights booked by Viking.  Previously we have got to Bergen using KLM via Amsterdam, and another time on SAS via Copenhagen.  I liked SAS but KLM was also good.  All booked by Viking.

Travelling from Heathrow you will probably have other choices that we didn’t have.  

We are just coming back from our 8th Ocean cruise (+ 7 River cruises) with Viking.  We are hooked!  

Hope this helps.

PS I’ve not heard of the airline that you asked about, but Viking only seem to have contracts with the main nation flag carriers.  

They're a small airline that has single class Embraers. A UK equivalent might be Logan Air. They are the only one that we can find that does London Bergen direct, we are now looking at Birmingham. 

Seems daft to us to have to allow 2 hours to transfer between flights when a direct flight tales 1 and a half. That said we would be OK with SAS or KLM. Anything other than Bloody Awful! 

We have flown with Wideroe - short direct 1 hour flight from Scotland to Norway.  We took a cruise only fare (fare less discount for not using the included flight, can't really call it a "credit") and booked our own flights as at the time I don't think Wideroe were on Viking's list.  We were on the Bergen-London Midnight cruise and as such the only flight included was to Norway as we disembarked in the UK, so we were on our own anyway for the return flight up from London.

We also recently flew with Loganair to/from Southampton (yes to go on a Viking UK cruise! 😁) and we rather liked that airline as well.  These smaller airlines do seem to cost a bit more than BA but hey for the convenience, well worth it.  And you can choose your seat when you book for free!  

On 10/4/2021 at 11:13 PM, Segmentersfloattheboat said:

We have flown with Wideroe - short direct 1 hour flight from Scotland to Norway.  We took a cruise only fare (fare less discount for not using the included flight, can't really call it a "credit") and booked our own flights as at the time I don't think Wideroe were on Viking's list.  We were on the Bergen-London Midnight cruise and as such the only flight included was to Norway as we disembarked in the UK, so we were on our own anyway for the return flight up from London.

We also recently flew with Loganair to/from Southampton (yes to go on a Viking UK cruise! 😁) and we rather liked that airline as well.  These smaller airlines do seem to cost a bit more than BA but hey for the convenience, well worth it.  And you can choose your seat when you book for free!  

Thanks for your reply, we also like the small airlines as they often fly things other than the usual from Boeing and Airbus. KBs Dad is a bit of an aviation anorak, as far as he is concerned the holiday starts as soon as he can see the airport. 

As this is short haul and we aren't doing extensions (we make our own arrangements if we are) we thought we might as well get flights as part of the package if we can, to make things easier if covid intervenes. 

For us BA is the airline of last resort, we book business and book seats as soon as we can, as I have a mobility disability we go for near the door/loo. Last trip to Berlin, we found they had changed the seats when we tried to check in online, and separated us. Phone calls later we had seats together mid cabin. When we arrived at the desk the seats had changed again. 

Edited by KBs mum

You probably know this but if not, BA will book your seats free of charge at time of booking if you require them for disability reasons (including any hidden disabilities eg IBS/IBD) - very handy if you don't have status or are booking a class which doesn't offer free seat selection at time of booking which I think these days is only First.  I have always found the disability line very helpful.  

LOL at the "aviation anorak"!  

8 minutes ago, Segmentersfloattheboat said:

You probably know this but if not, BA will book your seats free of charge at time of booking if you require them for disability reasons (including any hidden disabilities eg IBS/IBD) - very handy if you don't have status or are booking a class which doesn't offer free seat selection at time of booking which I think these days is only First.  I have always found the disability line very helpful.  

LOL at the "aviation anorak"!  

Unfortunately, we've found that what BA say they will do and what they actually do are often not connected. 

We now work on the expectation that they will be abysmal and are rarely dissapointed. 

The aviation anorak has just said that he would prefer to be known as an 'aviation cagoule'. Probably best not to ask

On 10/4/2021 at 11:13 PM, Segmentersfloattheboat said:

Article in the paper today, Logan Air are going to start flights to Bergen, but unfortunately for us, only from Newcastle and Edinburgh. Both too far north to resolve the logistical problems

Edited by KBs mum