Revisiting formal night dress

maxx

I am having an ongoing discussion (more like a war) with my hubby. I think we will have several formal nights as we are on an 11 night cruise, the females are planning to get dressed up but HE is reluctant, now doesn't want to take a suit. Just how formal are these nights? We are cruse virgins so any suggestions, info would be helpful.

I am having an ongoing discussion (more like a war) with my hubby. I think we will have several formal nights as we are on an 11 night cruise, the females are planning to get dressed up but HE is reluctant, now doesn't want to take a suit. Just how formal are these nights? We are cruse virgins so any suggestions, info would be helpful.

Just come back of N605,13 nights and as usual 2 formal nights, 2nd night and 2nd last night, a lot of people got dressed up and a lot didn't, I wore a suit to the first one but only a shirt and tie to the second, quite a few were just 'smart casual' and weren't out of place.

It depends how formal you want to be.

I have a tuxedo and have taken it on both cruises but if you don't want to dress up you can get away with a jacket and tie. If you don't want to dress up at all, you could choose to go to the steakhouse ($15 p.h.) and just wear neat casual.

What do people have against 'dressing up' my hubby was the same and I made him go out and buy a suit and he wears it but we don't know how to tie a tie so he goes without the tie. Smart casual is ok, but it is fun to dress up, especially if you don't get the chance to often like us. He would rather not wear the suit but it is only for 2 nights.

Just a nice pair of pants and an open neck shirt would be fine. That's all my DH wears. Seems that's what most men did on our cruises.

You had quite a few in suits, some of the younger guys in tux's and a majority of guys in nice pants and shirt and then a few in jeans and shirts and they were ok too.

What does he want to wear?

Kerri

I am sure he wont get turned away if he is not in a suit unlike the american cruise lines which do tend to be more formal.

I have mentioned this several times before but on our first formal night one guy wore his footie jumper (it was NRL grand final the next dayhe wore it with pride!!!

I say wear what he is comfortable with. You can get photos done which is always nice.when you see how nice you look you cant help but buy at least one.

We've been on 2 cruises in America - one Carnival and one Norwegian and on both of those, you would get quite a variety on 'formal' nights. We usually dress a little more for the first night (hubby in suit) and a tad less for the 2nd formal (hubby in same pants & nice shirt, no tie) and there were plenty less dressy than us! I don't think they care too much as long as you're not in shorts and tank tops! We do like to get dressed a little more for the first night and get a nice photo. I guess I'm lucky my hubby doesn't mind getting dressed up every now and then ... Only bad part is the suit takes up a bit of room in the luggage! Oh well... :D

Well, my DH refuses to wear a suit or a tie so he'll be wearing a pair of pants & a nice shirt. If that isn't good enough, too bad. I'm not going out & spending a fortune on a suit that he'll never wear again. My 10 year old son said he'd like to wear a tux!! But again. I'm not spending that kind of money on something like that. He'll wear a nice pair of pants & shirt & I'll get him a tie as does want one. He'll look beautiful anyway. He's such a cutie!!!

Karen

Well formal night is for us girls,I love having the chance to put on the glad rags and feel like a lady at a real fancy do.

Being single I do not go out much and love to feel beautiful and before anyone says anything I know it is only how I feel as you can not turn a sows ear into a silk purse as they say.

I think that the younger ones seem to have it over the older cruiser but they are looking to wear formal gear again.

Come on fellows give the ladys a treat and dress in that suit after all it can not hurt and she will feel wonderful being on the arm of a well dressed men:)

Come on fellows give the ladys a treat and dress in that suit after all it can not hurt and she will feel wonderful being on the arm of a well dressed men:)

Well said Frog, but we all know what men are like. If they don't want to dress up they won't. And you know what? That's the one thing I admire about men.(Not much else:D ) No pretence!!! They are who they are whereas some women like to pretend they're something they're not. I know I won't talk my DH into wearing a suit and while I think it would be nice I don't think it's worth it if he is uncomfortable. I'll just have to settle for what I've got:) .

Karen

All the replies make me feel a lot more comfortable in telling DH that he won't need a suit. It is such a small issue but the rationale from him is that he's on holidays, why should he dress up. I give up. He won't be the only one not in a suit by the sounds of it.

Hi all

lol

to wear a suit or not to wear a suit that is the question?

lol

if a suit is the only thing left in the cabin to wear on that particular night :eek: what's he gonna do go hungry :D - I think not ha ha, he'll put on the suit

as for the expense, try looking in the 2nd hand shops, many a great bargain there, also the formal hire shops also sell theirs off cheap.

Good luck

Helen

Hi all

lol

lol

if a suit is the only thing left in the cabin to wear on that particular night :eek: what's he gonna do go hungry :D - I think not ha ha, he'll put on the suit

as for the expense, try looking in the 2nd hand shops, many a great bargain there, also the formal hire shops also sell theirs off cheap.

Good luck

Helen

I know, I almost had him in the car on Saturday, sales were on, he's been saying yes I need a suit BUT then backed out. I'm over it now. It's his loss not mine. It was almost as if I had asked hime to put a boa constrictor around his chest, the look of fear on his face, perhaps the thought of being like everyone else!! Who knows, who cares. It's over for the moment. Mind you he did say that if he changes his mind there will always be another sale.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Football shirt on a formal night!

I'm really surprised reading this thread. I'm assuming that you're not talking about the British P & O ships?

You lot had better avoid Cunard - I wouldn't go to dinner on a casual night wearing anything less than a blazer and tie! (and of the 45 nights that I have spent on QE2, only one has been casual!)

We are talking about Aussie P&O. It all sounds somewhat informal which I like.Of course we always dress appropriately, just trying to work out how formal it all is. I would have a devil of a time getting my hubby to dress formally for any length of time.

My DH certainly won't be wearing a suit, one of the things that made him apprehensive about going on a cruise in the first place.

He did own a tie at one stage, but not sure where that is, and if I recall it was a comic one.

Being Qld-ers we do not have these things as norm in our wardrobes.

DH is however taking 4 different types of footwear!!!!!

:D

My DH certainly won't be wearing a suit, one of the things that made him apprehensive about going on a cruise in the first place.

He did own a tie at one stage, but not sure where that is, and if I recall it was a comic one.

Being Qld-ers we do not have these things as norm in our wardrobes.

DH is however taking 4 different types of footwear!!!!!

:D

You sound like me & my DH. Except I think he will be taking more shoes than me!

Hi all

lol

lol

Good luck

Helen

Hi Chook63

Do you really think your other will get into a suit

The thing I liked about the family dressing up was obtaining some nice formal photos of us as a family. My 6yo wore his tux and 8yo girl a formal dress.

The older folks get into it by full lenght formal dresses but most people are just cocktail dresses and the guys in a nice pair of pants and a tie.

AS far as too big to carry we put everything in a suit bag and sent it with the rest of our luggage.............

Hi Jacky1

If he wants to keep me happy he will, but if he doesn't that just means I will have room for .....lets say another pair of shoes and or a HANDBAG lol:D :D :D :D but he does look absolutly sexy all dressed up mmmm yummy!

Helen

Archived