Sled Dogs on Glacier in Juneau vs Skagway

Kitty Ellas Mom

I've thought for a long time that I'd do the sled dog musher's camp just on the land, with no snow, due partly to cost and partly to not wanting to fly.  However, it seems like this is a really popular and beloved activity, so I am wondering if I should give it a go. Doing dog sledding on an actual glacier is so much more exciting than just on land, and I haven't planned any other flights over Alaska (I have long flights to get to and from).  I have that issue with the eustachian tube where ears hurt a lot in planes.  Does that happen in these low flying planes?  I have to take a lot of medicine to handle it so I wouldn't want to take that if I didn't need to.  Also, which is better, the Mendenhall in Juneau or the Denver (I think) in Skagway?  I'm leaning towards Juneau just b/c I really also want to ride the train through the mountains in Skagway.  But we have long days there so I could possibly do both.

When we did our Alaska (some years back) we did the dog sledding in Skagway.  We took a helicopter up to the top of the glacier.  Not enough altitude that it should bother anyone.  Not sure about your problem though.  We had a great time with the dogs and the dog sledding.  Was able to drive one of the sleds - following the musher's path and away from the other dogs.  When it was time to go back we caught another helicopter that had just let passengers off.  We were fortunate that our pilot (maybe all of them do) flew down toward the water where our ship was so that we got a real good look at it from the air.

Stan

5 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I've thought for a long time that I'd do the sled dog musher's camp just on the land, with no snow, due partly to cost and partly to not wanting to fly.  However, it seems like this is a really popular and beloved activity, so I am wondering if I should give it a go. Doing dog sledding on an actual glacier is so much more exciting than just on land, and I haven't planned any other flights over Alaska (I have long flights to get to and from).  I have that issue with the eustachian tube where ears hurt a lot in planes.  Does that happen in these low flying planes?  I have to take a lot of medicine to handle it so I wouldn't want to take that if I didn't need to.  Also, which is better, the Mendenhall in Juneau or the Denver (I think) in Skagway?  I'm leaning towards Juneau just b/c I really also want to ride the train through the mountains in Skagway.  But we have long days there so I could possibly do both.

If you are interested in doing a dog sledding excursion on a glacier, the mode of transportation will be a helicopter, not an airplane. 

I have done the Helicopter and Dog sledding excursion with Coastal Helicopters which was absolutely wonderful. Not inexpensive, but my (adult) son still talks about that tour to this day. 

https://www.coastalhelicopters.com/