Tell me true....how is the spa on the boats?

Suburban Drudgery

Don't know from personal experience, but I've read on CC that in Costa Maya, if you venture down the road to the fishing village (Ma... not even gonna try here), massages can be had for $20-$30 - on the beach no less. Like I said - can't recommend cuz I've not done it - but that is where I'm heading.

I did the $20 for 30 min. massage on the beach in Mahahaul. It was great.

massage.jpg

When I or my wifevisits the ships spa we carry two items one is 20.00 dollars in five and one dollar bills and the other is a hour timmer.

The timmer is use to make sure you get the full time you are paying for.

The 20 in bills I tell them is thier tip and each time they talk about buying anything or give a sob story the tip is cut in half.They catch on fast after the first cut. Had one lady went down to a 25cent tip, just would not pushing her sale pitch. The word gets around fast and on the other uses of the Spa had no problems on sales piches.

Paul

because I was happy with it then but got home and my hair was fried.

I had a facial on the inspiration. It was my first one. It was around 100.00, i really enjoyed it.. i felt great afterword, the lady was real nice she just kept telling me i really needed to take better care of my skin and tried to get me to buy some expensive stuff.. i told her no thanks and that was the end of that, also i did not give her a tip.. i heard where other people give tips but i didnt, maybe i should have..

anyway i dont have anything to compare it to, so if you never had one before i would suggest it, as long as you can be firm during their sales pitch. tell them you need to check with your husband/mother/father or whoever before buying any product and they should let you out easily.

:p

it's a private company that rents the space on the boat. Paris Hotel in Las Vegas uses the same spa company. They did push the oils on me too but I said I had to think about it and told the lady I only brought enough money for the massage and tip. So that might make a difference on your cruise to know it's not Carnival but a separate company that runs and operates the spa. HTH

Corporate Overview

Steiner Leisure Limited is a worldwide provider of spa services. The Company's operations include spas and salons on 118 cruise ships, and in 55 resort spas and two luxury day spas. Our cruise line and land-based resort customers include Carnival Cruise Lines, Celebrity Cruises, Crystal Cruises, Cunard/Seabourn Cruise Lines, Harrah's Entertainment, Hilton Hotels, Holland America Line, Kerzner International, Loews Hotels, Marriott Hotels, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises and Royal Caribbean Cruises. Our Elemis Limited subsidiary manufactures its Elemis® brand products for use in our cruise ship and land-based spas. This top quality European line of beauty products is also distributed worldwide to exclusive hotels, salons, health clubs and destination spas. Elemis®, as well as other Steiner products, including La Therapie®, Ionithermie, and Steiner Hair Care, are available at http://www.timetospa.com.

Steiner Leisure also owns and operates three post secondary schools (comprised of a total of seven campuses) located in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Sarasota, Florida; Baltimore, Maryland; York, Pennsylvania and Charlottesville, Virginia. Offering degree and non-degree programs in massage therapy and skin care, these schools train and qualify spa professionals for health and beauty positions within the Steiner family of companies or other industry entities.

Source: Steiner Leisure Limited

To me the spa is part of the cruise vacation. I try to wait for the specials but end up spending more anyways. :cool: It is truly a great way to relax. I just say no thank you to products they offer. On another note, last year on the Carribean Princess (spa's also are Steiner) my daughter had a pretty expensive treatment which involved being submerged into a seaweed bath and then massage, etc. She is 17 and has some issues with her back and legs. At the end her spa attendent did not ask her to buy a thing, but GAVE her 170.00 worth of products! I think she felt sorry for her. That was very nice of them to do that. That person also told my daughter to say nothing or that would be th end of her job. :eek:

Janetz, how was your daughter's experience? Did she not like the wrap?

I'm a first-time cruise in Oct. and I'd like to get a spa treatment. I'm not interested in massages or facials, but would like to try a wrap or salt scrub - something I wouldn't normally get at home, kind of as a vacation gift to myself.

I will try the spa on the ship. I have checked out prices a bit and they didn't seem much higher than at the Aladdin hotel in Vegas, which is also a Steiner spa. (Wonderful, btw, for anyone going to Vegas.)

For other newbies like me, http://www.steinerleisure.com/steinerSite.html has a partial "menu" of services.

Lynne, she loved it! Of course "mom" did not treat herself to anything like that. Plus the cost was to high for us both to do it. I say go for it! In September, with no teen in tow, I am going to pick something really different also. When we sailed last Feb everyday the spa had different "specials" were the prices where lower. :p

Archived