Anyone been to progesso?

LUVKSU

Yes we went there a couple of years ago.I recommend that you do something there other than a self guided tour. We had plans to Kayak but we had to cancel, I was little sick from the previous day. Ended up just walking around. The main town is a good distance from the dock, so you have to catch a bus.

LUBKSU. If you've already explored the Ports of Call board for Progreso, then you've probably seen my offer of information and pics. I've had two ports of call to Progreso when cruising Celebrity. Then an 8 day and a 14 day land vacation to the area. It's an area that I love to visit and there are many options of activities. Start with this site: http://www.yucatantoday.com. Tons of information for planning.

We went to Progresso last April on the Glory. It wasn't my favorite port but it was cool and windy that day. Some passengers near our table took the Chitzen Itza tour with Carnival. They said it was a long day but a once in a lifetime event and glad they did it. I would assuredly recommend a tour in Progresso since the port is very undeveloped.

Dzibilchaltun is so close, and amazing. There is a cenote (sink hole) that you can swim in along with beautiful tropical fish and flowering lillies. You can take your time and explore the ruins on your own. It is only a short drive from the peir. We hired a van for the dday for our group of six. He took us to Merida, which claims to be the cleanest city in Mexico. WE saw some old Colonial Spanish buildings etc. and did a little shopping. It was great because I saw NO other cruise ship passengers walking around town. I feel very comfortable in the real Mexico, and realize how different it is from the tourist towns. Merida is a pretty big city, which was worth a visit. But, Dzibilchaltun was a treasure, that it seems a lot of people don't know about yet. You don't have to spend all day riding in a bus there and back

We were there 1/10/06 and it was the highlight of our cruise! We hired a guide and van for 4 people for $120 for about 5 hours. We found the guide near the "bus terminal" where the pier shuttle drops you off. We only toured Merida, but you could easily arrange to visit Dzibilchaltun on your way back from Merida. So for it and see the "real" Mexico!

We went to Progresso 3 years ago. We were not into travelling around the city, we just wanted to "beach it". We paid one price for and all you can drink beach party. It was great. We'd all get a drink or two, take them into the ocean and drink and be merry. With the one price, it included use of the showers and rest rooms and of course, drinks and munchies.

The beach was busy, especially with travelling vendors. Mostly kids selling items, we felt very sorry for them. Got a couple of good deals though.

Have fun!

LUVKSU,

There are so many things to do if you research it before hand. There are shipboard tours, the bus that takes you from the ship down the long long pier where they hold you hostage for about 5 minutes going over the tours that that they offer, or once dropped off in town you can take a local bus ($2.50pp round trip) to Merida or negotiate with a local cab to take you where you want to go. Some cabs you can negotiate an all day rental with.

If you go to Merida, it is a large city. They do take US $ but your change will be back in pesos. There are fewer English speakers but I had no problem. I brought a PDA to which I had downloaded a lot of common Spanish words and phrases. yucatantoday.com is a good place for learning about the area and what is offered.

Dave

Last July an itinerary change took us to Progreso. Hurricane Dennis almost ruined our vacation. We were glad to have a cruise so we kept an open mind. For me it was a good thing as I was able to visit Chichen Itza. Terri, my son and his GF opted for the Beach Break. The Beach Break was a hit with the kids, something about a lower drinking age. Terri enjoyed her share of margaritas as well.

I've done Progreso twice. There is a lot of good info to be found on the ports of call boards. The first time I was there I wanted to relax at the beach, but I wound up not enjoying that so much. The second time I booked a shore excursion to Uxmal and had a great time. The ruins were amazing!

Stay on the ship and enjoy your day we were there about 1 1/2 years ago. We walked around the market for a minute and were bored so our group was approached about going out to a resort and using their pool and beach and unlimited drinks they showed us pictures and it looked great. There was about 20 of us that took the ride out there and when we got there the pool was freezing,very run down and the beach smelled horrible. THe drink stand would not open for a couple of hours and we could not find our "cabs" to take us back. We had one gal with us that spoke Spanish and after arguing with the front desk for a very long time they were able to refund our money and get the cabs back after she threaten to call the ship and the police. The whole day was a disaster! THe beach was very torn up and smelled like rotten eggs.

Stay on the ship and enjoy your day we were there about 1 1/2 years ago. We walked around the market for a minute and were bored so our group was approached about going out to a resort and using their pool and beach and unlimited drinks they showed us pictures and it looked great. There was about 20 of us that took the ride out there and when we got there the pool was freezing,very run down and the beach smelled horrible. THe drink stand would not open for a couple of hours and we could not find our "cabs" to take us back. We had one gal with us that spoke Spanish and after arguing with the front desk for a very long time they were able to refund our money and get the cabs back after she threaten to call the ship and the police. The whole day was a disaster! THe beach was very torn up and smelled like rotten eggs.

I second the smelly beach thing, the water is murky, too. But Progreso is a good place to go see Mayan ruins. I think the key to enjoying Progreso is research and knowing what to expect then pairing that with what you'd like. If you have no interest in the things that are offered then maybe consider staying on the ship, but even just to get out, look around and know you don't care to return is more valuable than just deciding it's not worth it to get off at all. BTW I did some pretty good shopping at the pier. Even if you don't like the place, at least the opinion you had was based on your own experience, rather than what someone else told you. :)

..... our group was approached about going out to a resort and using their pool and beach and unlimited drinks they showed us pictures and it looked great.

There should have been a large red flag at this point. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, excursions should be booked through the cruise line. Tourists are a target for scams and there is no recourse when things go bad. Progreso is not a premier port but has much to offer. Sorry your visit was not enjoyable.

... Unless you know exactly what you are doing, excursions should be booked through the cruise line...

I agree...This is especially true of Progreso. I would still not feel comfortable just "winging it" in this port. I think I'd have to spend time on a land based vacation to feel comfortable venturing out on my own here.

Archived